Line Up Announced

CaledonianGonzo

31 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I love Lizzo but I can still buy tickets for her gig at the Hydro next week. Her as headliner would be a huge gamble. It’s a nice game for us on here to go ‘oh just over promote a Female for the sake of it to fulfil a promise about Female headliners that was never actually made.’ Emily can’t realistically do that though.

GNR, whatever anyone thinks personally are willing to do it, arrange their Tour dates to fit and take a much lower fee than elsewhere. Emily has said in the past she wants them and this may be her only chance to book them. On top of that she can still have Lizzo without having to over promote her.

The ‘Pipeline’ comment is absolutely right, which is why Emily is aiming for 50% representation on the line up and not among the headliners. That’s how Female acts who are good enough will make it to the top.

I do get that. I don’t necessarily just mean  Lizzo though. Lana Del Rey is a big name for example. (I’m not just hanging my comments off these two artists only by the way)

I don’t think it’s a gamble for a festival that sells out in minutes every year to put a “smaller” act on as headliner in a bid to elevate them. For a festival that’s made such a big deal of striving to represent women equally, this feels like a big misstep. Clearly not their intention, but putting on a band like GNR on as headliners in 2023 gives out the wrong message.

Obviously say all that with the acknowledgment that they have financial, logistical and contractual hurdles to get over.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ZooScrapbook said:

I do get that. I don’t necessarily just mean  Lizzo though. Lana Del Rey is a big name for example. (I’m not just hanging my comments off these two artists only by the way)

I don’t think it’s a gamble for a festival that sells out in minutes every year to put a “smaller” act on as headliner in a bid to elevate them. For a festival that’s made such a big deal of striving to represent women equally, this feels like a big misstep. Clearly not their intention, but putting on a band like GNR on as headliners in 2023 gives out the wrong message.

Obviously say all that with the acknowledgment that they have financial, logistical and contractual hurdles to get over.

That’s bollocks I’m afraid. The whole point of diversity is to give people a chance that would not usually get one. So to promote some women ahead of men as a decisive act. It’s cowardly of glasto to book these dinosaurs 

Not been on here much as it’s a bit painful seeing the buildup when I can’t go this year, but just wanted to swing by and say the lineup looks ace and I‘d be very happy if I had tickets. It’s not the most exciting lineup I’ve ever seen, but there’s plenty on there to make a phenomenal weekend. Slightly gutted to see LDR on there as it obviously rules her out next year, and she was very high on my list after not rolling over in 2022 from 2020. But yeah, I wouldn’t struggle to fill my weekend at all with this lineup.

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Not having this "Lizzo is a second headliner" stuff. It's fine to book three blokes to headline as long as you're mindful of that and (like the festival are) are aiming to change things. All feels a bit desperate being like "...and also Lizzo!"

Yeah it’s a weird move from Emily. Surely ‘we tried for a female headliner, it didn’t work out, but there’s always next time and it’s still something we’re aiming for year on year’ would’ve been better than ‘Lizzo, who is very clearly a sub, is a joint headliner, seriously!’.

Wonder if Lizzo is gonna get an extended set to back up her claim.

I'm really pleased with the overall line-up. 

Lots appeals to me, but just to single one band out I am a big fan of Chvrches, they have been on tour overseas for aaaages, I was waiting to see if they announced any UK dates this summer, they announced a couple of Scottish and a Nottingham dates this week, neither of which I can make, then they pop up on this poster, absolutely fantastic.  I love it when you see a 'must see' pop up on there, it makes the excitement so much more. 

Edited by LowerMead
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Furq said:

This whole thing about naming stages/tents after areas...

Means they no longer have themes.

Which means 'names' are spread across the site.

Which means many attendees are constantly on the move chasing the 'names', which adds to congestion and over-crowding.

Imo, like.

West Holts changed from Jazzworld 13 years ago and has kept its identity fine.

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

I reckon GNR will be doing a much tighter, cleaner festival set than the usual 3 hour warbling. 

100%, they ain’t getting 3, but reckon they’ll still be getting 2hr - 2hr15. Lizzo would only need another 15 minutes added for Emily’s claim to be somewhat truthful so guess we’ll see.

13 minutes ago, ZooScrapbook said:

The last paragraph is key. It would be a gamble as they can’t arrogantly assume it’s going to sell out regardless of what they do. As soon as they do that they’re in trouble. Especially this year with inflation, cost of living crisis, the stink over having to put ticket prices up etc. 

To quote Emily from that Guardian article

In order to do the exact same show as last time, we would have had to put £100 on the ticket.” And “People assume that because we’re the ‘Christmas of music’ we can breezily book whoever”

They’re worried about the effect of putting ticket prices up, worried about the cost of putting it on, and aware of the restrictions they have in terms of who they can get. They aren’t going to bin a Stadium rock act that wants to do it for the reduced fee to bump up a much smaller act who will still be on the bill anyway.

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

The all white male headliners doesn't look great. They could just have put LDR as a headliner. She's got more bangers than AM and GnR put together. 

Wonder why Rosalia wasn't announced or is she being left to the individual stage announcement?

The headliners aren’t all-white

35 minutes ago, glasto360 said:

Adding Lizzo to the top of the poster next to all male headliners makes me think about the Oscars and how they started nominating more movies to Best Picture award to make it more diverse.

Gotta be honest, it's a stupid call. She ain't headlining, period. If they wanted her on the top line, give her the top job, if not, then don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The last paragraph is key. It would be a gamble as they can’t arrogantly assume it’s going to sell out regardless of what they do. As soon as they do that they’re in trouble. Especially this year with inflation, cost of living crisis, the stink over having to put ticket prices up etc. 

To quote Emily from that Guardian article

In order to do the exact same show as last time, we would have had to put £100 on the ticket.” And “People assume that because we’re the ‘Christmas of music’ we can breezily book whoever”

They’re worried about the effect of putting ticket prices up, worried about the cost of putting it on, and aware of the restrictions they have in terms of who they can get. They aren’t going to bin a Stadium rock act that wants to do it for the reduced fee to bump up a much smaller act who will still be on the bill anyway.

Bingo. I wish Emily had stuck to her guns (no pun intended) instead of semi-apologising for what was basically out of her hands, but yeah, people expect the biggest from Glastonbury so, although they possibly could’ve gotten away with it, realistically Lizzo just isn’t at headliner level right now so they’ve not booked her for it. Maybe in hindsight trying to give her the bump would’ve been a good thing, but also, we’re now getting GnR as well, so there’s really no loss here.

19 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Not having this "Lizzo is a second headliner" stuff. It's fine to book three blokes to headline as long as you're mindful of that and (like the festival are) are aiming to change things. All feels a bit desperate being like "...and also Lizzo!"

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it’s a weird move from Emily. Surely ‘we tried for a female headliner, it didn’t work out, but there’s always next time and it’s still something we’re aiming for year on year’ would’ve been better than ‘Lizzo, who is very clearly a sub, is a joint headliner, seriously!’.

Wonder if Lizzo is gonna get an extended set to back up her claim.

I think it’s just a (not very good) defence against the grief she’s going to get from people who seem to think she promised a female headliner every year even though she very explicitly didn’t. 

Edited by MEGABOWL