2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

4 minutes ago, jplewes said:

I am sure I will have a good time and a lot of lower down acts will be great/good to get into, but initial reaction a bit disappointed with the top billing stuff. There are a lot of acts that have been swirling round on here I would have been way more excited by.

I think that sums up my reaction to the first announcement every year, but the discovery of mid and lower order acts is the real jewel in the crown. And sometimes the Woods headliners turn out to be way better than I expected (e.g. Misty, St. Vincent).

5 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

Entitled idiots that should try and put on their festival. 

Exactly. Must have been a tough booking year at the top end. They can only get who is available and will do it for the money on offer. 

old timers would be annoyed if they tried to make it larger to get more ppl in to book bigger names. 

a fest of this size will have up and down years at the top end of the lineup

Edited by Memory Man

I think one problem is there's a lot of depth in terms of down the list but there's not in terms of who's going to be Woods sub/Garden headliner. If we assume Angel and Ezra are going to be the latter (though with Olsen it might be they're Woods sub and that the relegation is because they could only play the same day as a bigger band, as with Perfume Genius last year) and without knowing how many names are still to come you're left with people who wouldn't have been considered for those slots last year. Guessing Overmono are going to be late night, but Peng doesn't fit anywhere unless they're going to have a stage just for the rap/pop-leaning acts.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

20 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Going down the list there's a lot of rap acts, as if making up for there being barely any last year following Simz and co's triumphs in 2021. Couple of drone/doom metal acts too. And a surprising number of Australians.

I wish HTRK were among the Australian acts. 

Looking forward to seeing They Hate Change. 

Seems an overall move away from the post punk type stuff, which is no bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This all sounds well and good on the booking who's available theory. 

But could be undermined when we see Green Man's lineup.

My guess is they did a better job on headliners, EOTR will have a much stronger undercard.

Obviously Green Man has the benefit of being much bigger and having sold out already but if the rumours of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and First Aid Kit are true, plus there being a lot more exciting overseas acts potentially around for that weekend (Walkmen, Osees, Amyl, Les Savy Fav, Devo, Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, Crack Cloud), not to mention some of the UK names we've discussed like Young Fathers and the Delgados, then it could be a bumper year for them, in which case EOTR will have to hope the line-up is enough of a push for some people to get a quick sellout.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

I know it's all relative, and one person's genius artist is another person's fingers down a blackboard but I'm just incredibly underwhelmed by this line-up.

Normally if the headliners don't appeal then there is something throughout the undercard that will grab me, but absolutely nothing here, with the exception of one or two returning artists.  If I hadn't been to EoTR multiple times I would instantly decline this, as it is I am going to have to have a serious listen of the playlist and then decide. 

The main issue for us going as a family is having a young kid at school and a wife who works in a school, it clashes with the start of term, if we were to stay for the Sunday night. I don't mind taking our son out of school for a day (possible fine) and my wife can blag a day off (has an understanding Head) but doing all that for  a line up that is incredibly 'meh' for our tastes is a bit of a stretch, before we even think of the £££s involved.

Right now I'm looking at cutting our losses and chucking our tickets and campervan pass into the resale, possibly doing Sea Power's Krankenhaus Festival the weekend prior. 

I'll happily stand corrected, but I will be surprised if this sells out on the basis of this line-up.   

I don't do Spotify, we are all Apple Music here. I'll have to see if there a decent Apple Music EOTR2023 playlist I could get to grips with, but they seem to be thin on the ground on that platform. 

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Green man is now a lot bigger than eotr and sells out before anyone is announced

not comparable at this stage really

Certainly right on the first point but doesn't EOTR literally sell out every year?

In which case they can surely access credit from the bank (if they need it) to book acts.

Just now, xxialac said:

Certainly right on the first point but doesn't EOTR literally sell out every year?

In which case they can surely access credit from the bank (if they need it) to book acts.

I think the point being made is Green Man sold out within something like five hours while EOTR, which is about 10k smaller capacity, still has (albeit onto the last tier) tickets available. It's going to sell out, but it hasn't yet.

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I think the point being made is Green Man sold out within something like five hours while EOTR, which is about 10k smaller capacity, still has (albeit onto the last tier) tickets available. It's going to sell out, but it hasn't yet.

Don’t they have some backing / funding from the welsh government too ?

A bigger capacity means a bigger budget. Most years, the line up split is the same when you compare. 

Just now, Nick07 said:

I disagree. 

You don’t have to air your opinion negatively about something that has taken people months to sort. It’s their job for starters. 

Really??

Only positive comments are acceptable in relation to all forms of artistic and professional endeavour? 

I don't want to live in that world...