Stadium Ticket Pricing

stanh

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

Surely if they are on the TM app its clear which are real and then any fakes are turned away for viagogo to deal with (with sellers facing repercussions and buyers getting refunds)

Turning away everyone is just pointless really - if you don't want tickets on viagogo put in proper provisions to stop it happening in the first place.

The resold ones were not on the app, they'd been sent screenshots or Wallet links. You can't sell on a ticket on the app unless you give someone your login details and let them login as you. 

A screenshot will scan just as well, but nothing stopping someone selling multiple screenshots of the same ticket. Viagogo seemingly had nothing in place to prevent that.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The resold ones were not on the app, they'd been sent screenshots or Wallet links. You can't sell on a ticket on the app unless you give someone your login details and let them login as you. 

A screenshot will scan just as well, but nothing stopping someone selling multiple screenshots of the same ticket. Viagogo seemingly had nothing in place to prevent that.

Someone could just sell 1 on viagogo then more copies on twitter regardless.

Artists just need to move away from non wallet based ticketing - transfers are the way forward as that prevents duplicates being resold.

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Someone could just sell 1 on viagogo then more copies on twitter regardless.

Artists just need to move away from non wallet based ticketing - transfers are the way forward as that prevents duplicates being resold.

Well yeah, Ticketmaster did that, which in theory prevented Viagogo from reselling them. But Viagogo decided to anyway.

I think it's because it's a seated gig. With general admission, if you have a duplicate ticket and turn up after the other person with the duplicate ticket, you're in and they're out, nothing can be done about it. With a seated show, there's actually at least the option for staff to find the person in the disputed seat, and then resolve it. If this happens once or twice on a night, it's manageable - you may end up having to remove both parties unless one can prove they're the original purchasers, but any legit sales where just one person wants the seat can be allowed to go through.

But it sounds like the venue had been dealing with a large volume of such issues and figured it was easier to stop it entirely.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Well yeah, Ticketmaster did that, which in theory prevented Viagogo from reselling them. But Viagogo decided to anyway.

I think it's because it's a seated gig. With general admission, if you have a duplicate ticket and turn up after the other person with the duplicate ticket, you're in and they're out, nothing can be done about it. With a seated show, there's actually at least the option for staff to find the person in the disputed seat, and then resolve it. If this happens once or twice on a night, it's manageable - you may end up having to remove both parties unless one can prove they're the original purchasers, but any legit sales where just one person wants the seat can be allowed to go through.

But it sounds like the venue had been dealing with a large volume of such issues and figured it was easier to stop it entirely.

I thought the QR codes constantly change, they definitely do with some apps. I would have thought viagogo required the ticket to be transferred and not allow screenshots, seems very stupid to them. Maybe transfer was disabled as a guess

Fair enough for not wanting to put up with it

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I thought the QR codes constantly change, they definitely do with some apps. I would have thought viagogo required the ticket to be transferred and not allow screenshots, seems very stupid to them. Maybe transfer was disabled as a guess

Fair enough for not wanting to put up with it

The technology is there for 'live' QR codes, our local bus service uses it (there's some animation that shows it's not a screen grab). However almost every concert ticket I have seen is a static QR code that can easily be screen-shot (almost no way to effectively disable this). So my suspicion here is that scammers have been selling on fake or duplicate codes.

To prevent this, the ticket company have to allow transfers and then the codes can be live/updated. Transfers are also useful for groups who arrive at different times. I can see an argument against them to prevent touting, but then it doesn't look like this is happening anyway.

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The technology is there for 'live' QR codes, our local bus service uses it (there's some animation that shows it's not a screen grab). However almost every concert ticket I have seen is a static QR code that can easily be screen-shot (almost no way to effectively disable this). So my suspicion here is that scammers have been selling on fake or duplicate codes.

To prevent this, the ticket company have to allow transfers and then the codes can be live/updated. Transfers are also useful for groups who arrive at different times. I can see an argument against them to prevent touting, but then it doesn't look like this is happening anyway.

Yeah, not really sure why transfers aren't just always on - sometimes they change on/off with zero warning

18 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Yeah - I've done one show where it had to be shown live in the app. It's manageable with people arriving different times though as you can share login details if it's a friend.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Yeah, not really sure why transfers aren't just always on - sometimes they change on/off with zero warning

They don't want people reselling tickets, at least if there's tickets still left to sell from the box office. Don't want to be undercut.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They don't want people reselling tickets, at least if there's tickets still left to sell from the box office. Don't want to be undercut.

ah yep thats it, knew there was a reason

--

While on the topic - bit of a silly twickets thread. clearly most scammers know what they are doing more than this person and could actually fool someone rather than waste their time. Wish they'd focus on sorting their platform out vs posting threads of nonsense (clearly trying to get publicity off the show spoken about above^)

So what do people make of the £250-£450 price range for Madonna then?  Just been given the heads up by a music journo mate.   I'm actually speechless.  I thought the gigs at the Palladium were outrageously priced, but at least they were intimate, unlike the O2!!

12 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

So what do people make of the £250-£450 price range for Madonna then?  Just been given the heads up by a music journo mate.   I'm actually speechless.  I thought the gigs at the Palladium were outrageously priced, but at least they were intimate, unlike the O2!!

I don't think that is correct, also looking at the o2 calendar as well as hers I think she will be doing 4 London Shows. Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday,Wednesday

28 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

If £250 is starter price that’s ridiculous for an arena and I would never pay that no matter how much I loved an act 

39 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

I would be surprised if this is correct – most of the EU shows start at 75-90 Euros for second tier seats, jumping to 120 for lower tier. Even with a "London tax" £250 is a lot for base level.

Either way I imagine there's probably going to be a nightmare dynamic pricing thing involved so any starting price points get thrown out the window.

Edited by jannybruck

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

That’s actually better than I expected. 

Very savvy pricing...

Not pricing normal folk out, whilst still taking advantage of those who absoloutely have to be able to say they had the best tickets etc etc... (And by taking advantage, I mean bending them over and absoloutely shafting them.) 

It's a shame that real music fans probably won't be anywhere near the front, but at least they can still go. 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Very savvy pricing...

Not pricing normal folk out, whilst still taking advantage of those who absoloutely have to be able to say they had the best tickets etc etc... (And by taking advantage, I mean bending them over and absoloutely shafting them.) 

It's a shame that real music fans probably won't be anywhere near the front, but at least they can still go. 

Yep she has always been one of the more expensive artists hence why I have never seen her so I was expecting much worse. 

Her merch pricing has always been crazy as well. 

Nice to see prices starting at 40$. Will be interesting to see how many tickets of each tier will be available.

40 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Why, does having more money disqualify you as a real music fan?

1 hour ago, clasher said:

Nice to see prices starting at 40$. Will be interesting to see how many tickets of each tier will be available.

Why, does having more money disqualify you as a real music fan?

It certainly DOES NOT. And I never gave you any reason to believe that's what I meant. What I meant was that most of those tickets will go to influencers, youtubers, instagram models, who are there purely for one reason, and that reason isn't the music, it's for the gram. 

I was exaggerating of course, there will be diehard fans of hers willing to pay that much too, but they'll be massively diluted. 

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

It certainly DOES NOT. And I never gave you any reason to believe that's what I meant. What I meant was that most of those tickets will go to influencers, youtubers, instagram models, who are there purely for one reason, and that reason isn't the music, it's for the gram. 

I was exaggerating of course, there will be diehard fans of hers willing to pay that much too, but they'll be massively diluted. 

I don't disagree with you necessarily, there will surely be influencers and this kind of pricing certainly changes the demographics of "the front", I just think there's plenty of "real fans" (whatever that means anyway) that are prepared to pay such prices. I say that based on the trend of bigger shows selling out instantly while smaller gigs suffer and thinking the ridiculously priced tickets for Taylor Swift's shows still get mostly gobbled up by rabid swifties. Might as well be completely wrong on that.

I find it a very interesting topic and would love to see more data on how the pricing actually affects the makeup of the audience, what attracts the influencers (is it the status of the act in question, higher prices making it seem more prestigious, others being priced out,...), etc.

It would take Pink Floyd or Daft Punk reforming for me to drop 300+ on a single ticket, and I spend quite a lot on gigs.

Please keep in mind that platinum and dynamic pricing is in effect for the north america gigs. Already saw platinum tix be triple the face of the $80 tix. And some dynamic kick in just slightly so it hasnt taken over yet because the presales werent too high demand per say. If you wanted tickets yesterday you got them even if you didnt have access to the fan club sale. There just isnt a big buzz over here about this tour which is odd. And remember she still has the reputation for  starting her gigs late. Might have burned too many people with that and its gonna haunt her. I still dont trust this will be a typical greatest hits show anyway.

Edited by Suprefan