Blur

jannybruck

25 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

There's a fair arguement to suggest that that if this sells out, as have so many other events ... they are priced ok? They are a luxury purchase that people are willing to make and pay for somehow. 

Priced ok for those that can afford it, ie middle classes and above with money to burn, despite a cost of living crisis. Used to be that gigs, football etc were priced to be affordable for everyone. Instead it's just a money grab by commercial entities who already have more money than they know what to do with. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Blur are far too big for a Park Stage secret set unfortunately… would cause absolute chaos. Something similar to The Killers at the JP 2017 possibly but I think it’s much more likely that they’d be 2024 headliners. 

So why not a Pyramid secret set?

Didn't try for tickets today, price put me off, lucky as not sure I could have dealt with the stress of the James presale at 9.30 and then Blur at 10!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 09matthewsw said:

Blur are far too big for a Park Stage secret set unfortunately… would cause absolute chaos. Something similar to The Killers at the JP 2017 possibly but I think it’s much more likely that they’d be 2024 headliners. 

Radiohead and Pulp did it, 2011, on consecutive days. So yeah it's not beyond the realms of possibility for Blur too.

I think Blur are gonna headline anyway. It's just that the announcement will have to wait until this gig is sold out.

6 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Priced ok for those that can afford it, ie middle classes and above with money to burn, despite a cost of living crisis. Used to be that gigs, football etc were priced to be affordable for everyone. Instead it's just a money grab by commercial entities who already have more money than they know what to do with. 

Gigs, not football, but were stadium events ever targeting the humble working classes or poor? I cant really think so. 

This isn't a gig in a pub its a landmark event. The fact its selling out shows its priced approriately I guess?

Full disclosure. I'm not trying for a ticket as I think its over priced for what it is and the travel/accomodation costs for me would mean its a £300/£400 event for my wife and I. Ive seen Blur a few times, so, meh ... But, that's just me.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Didn't try for tickets today, price put me off, lucky as not sure I could have dealt with the stress of the James presale at 9.30 and then Blur at 10!

Would love that. They don’t usually do secret sets on the Pyramid though do they? Libertines 2015 obviously springs to mind but that was only as a result of Foo’s cancellation leaving a space for them to fill.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Which didn't cause absolute chaos....

Perhaps. I was near the front so didn’t really notice. But feel like the JP field is easier to manage if there is proper stewarding is in place. Think Blur playing either is very unlikely either way though 

1 minute ago, 09matthewsw said:

Would love that. They don’t usually do secret sets on the Pyramid though do they? Libertines 2015 obviously springs to mind but that was only as a result of Foo’s cancellation leaving a space for them to fill.

Not usually, but the Other opener was a secret set for a while, and Libertines were a secret for similar reasons around exclusivity and yes, them needing to fill that slot. But there's no reason they couldn't do it. I don't think they'd be silly enough to put Blur on at a secret set on The Park. But there's no reason other than the festival's own will they couldn't put them on as a "secret" on the Pyramid if a secret set is on the cards.

6 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Gigs, not football, but were stadium events ever targeting the humble working classes or poor? I cant really think so. 

This isn't a gig in a pub its a landmark event. The fact its selling out shows its priced approriately I guess?

Full disclosure. I'm not trying for a ticket as I think its over priced for what it is and the travel/accomodation costs for me would mean its a £300/£400 event for my wife and I. Ive seen Blur a few times, so, meh ... But, that's just me.

I did go for tickets, but didn't buy Peter Kay, Pulp, James etc, I generally dislike stadium/arena gigs with or without golden circles etc would rather everyone just played multiple nights at the Forum/Brixton, and agree this is very expensive but if Blur play I will go as I love them

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not usually, but the Other opener was a secret set for a while, and Libertines were a secret for similar reasons around exclusivity and yes, them needing to fill that slot. But there's no reason they couldn't do it. I don't think they'd be silly enough to put Blur on at a secret set on The Park. But there's no reason other than the festival's own will they couldn't put them on as a "secret" on the Pyramid if a secret set is on the cards.

Suppose it’s nigh on impossible (and pointless) if they’re eyeing them up as 2024 headliners though. Think the problem with a Pyramid secret set is it’s going be noticed and speculated by everyone, whereas the JP and Park secret sets go under a lot of people’s radar. You could have a ridiculously large crowd if some unlikely rumours gain traction and a lot of disappointed people when it’s not who they were hoping for

10 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

I went to a few Wembley stadium gigs back in the 80's (U2, Springsteen, etc) & I don't remember them being the equivalent of £100+, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it!

7 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Don't have to be 'poor' to not be able to afford £250 for a gig. Surely economies of scale means doing one performance in front of 90,000 should mean more affordable prices? I earn around the average national salary and used to be able to afford numerous gigs like this all the time. Now the prices are extortionate.

Point is that just because you can rinse people for as much money as possible, doesn't mean you should. The attitude that it's ok because some people can afford it isn't really on. Same way I think the energy corporations should just suck up the increased costs in the current crisis, is it too much to ask that bands who are multimillionaires maybe take the burden of increased costs and make a few less £100,000s from their tours? Why should ordinary folk be passed on every cost incurred? 

The fact a ticket to see Blur and a host of other acts in €65 for the day in France shows this is nothing more than a cash grab.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

I saw Green Day at Wembley stadium in 2010 with Joana Jett. £50. 3 of us went for the price of 1 golden circle ticket.

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Don't have to be 'poor' to not be able to afford £250 for a gig. Surely economies of scale means doing one performance in front of 90,000 should mean more affordable prices? I earn around the average national salary and used to be able to afford numerous gigs like this all the time. Now the prices are extortionate.

Again, not saying the Blur gig isn't a bit of a rip off, but the economies of scale on a tour often cover the tour as a whole, rather than individual dates. So a one-off show is going to have less economies of scale than 10 or 20 date tour. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Again, not saying the Blur gig isn't a bit of a rip off, but the economies of scale on a tour often cover the tour as a whole, rather than individual dates. So a one-off show is going to have less economies of scale than 10 or 20 date tour. 

If this gig sells out then it's grossing over £9m alone in ticket revenue, without taking into account merchandising, concessions etc. How much money does an act need to make a few hours work worthwhile? 

Just now, kingbadger said:

If this gig sells out then it's grossing over £9m alone in ticket revenue, without taking into account merchandising, concessions etc. How much money does an act need to make a few hours work worthwhile? 

Apparently Damon Albarn has a net worth of $50 million and earns about $7 million a year. (source Forbes)

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

How did you get on with the tix for James? We managed to get a pair for Manchester but looks like a lot of disgruntled fans, usual James ticket sale issues as well with ref numbers not working etc .

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've bought Glasto, Peter Kay, Pulp and Blur in the last fortnight.

Definitely need to cut back now.

Easier said then done. Just sneaked in one more purchase of a pair of Black Honey tickets today. That needs to be the end of buying for a while.

53 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Wembley is being used for tons of other stuff and they are doing European shows

10 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

And somehow the show in France is a fraction of the price.

But it's part of an established festival so not comparable. 

Regardless, this conversation/thread is going nowhere:

• it's very expensive
  • Golden Circle is w*nk
  • Gigs are expensive to put on but we don't know how much this gig costs to put on at wembley, we don't know the split of profits or the line by line costs, what is insisted by the promoter, venue, band, ticketing partner, booking agent etc
  • The band are money grabbing or aren't depending on your take
  • other comparable gigs are more expensive / cheaper depending on your take
  • other non comparable gigs are expensive/cheaper depending on your take
  • other bands/comedians are/aren't money grabbing depending on your take

the thread is just arguing in circles now