Blur

jannybruck

11 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

How did the sale go, did it sell out?

It was just first presale, another presale tomorrow before general sale on friday, looks like standing and golden circle sold out, seats at back and upper level still available

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

If this gig sells out then it's grossing over £9m alone in ticket revenue, without taking into account merchandising, concessions etc. How much money does an act need to make a few hours work worthwhile? 

It's not a few hours' work though. They'll spend far longer rehearsing than they will actually performing. And again, if it's just a one-off, all that rehearsal has to be paid for by the one gig. Whereas on a tour it's spread across the profits from all the gigs. That's what I meant on economies of scale. They're still making fuckloads though.

1 hour ago, sfroml said:

How did you get on with the tix for James? We managed to get a pair for Manchester but looks like a lot of disgruntled fans, usual James ticket sale issues as well with ref numbers not working etc .

Managed to get 4 tickets in the second row for Blackpool for me and the family. Going to try in the general sale for Birmingham.

Honestly they're small venues mostly, as they're theatres. So we're talking 2000-3000k venues with maybe a 10% pre-sale allocation means only a couple of hundred tickets for each venue available. Was always going to be a trainwreck but the main sale on Friday should be fine. I think it's mostly just people not understanding that it's so few tickets available in the pre-sale.

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's not a few hours' work though. They'll spend far longer rehearsing than they will actually performing. And again, if it's just a one-off, all that rehearsal has to be paid for by the one gig. Whereas on a tour it's spread across the profits from all the gigs. That's what I meant on economies of scale. They're still making fuckloads though.

There are other gigs though. 

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Dunno why Blur are being singled out for  big concert price beef - it’s nothing compared to what Taylor Swift is charging for her US tour, and she’s doing 50+ stadium gigs. I’d rather not have paid what I did for the tickets, but it’s fairly standard now

Just so happened this is where the talk about it started about the price of gigs in general, golden circle etc. Has been mentioned how other gigs are ridiculously priced, and some are more reasonably priced. 

The problem I see is if everyone keeps stumping up the ridiculous prices and just accepts it, then they'll just keep going up and up and up. 

We're now at the point where music as entertainment isn't for the masses.

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Dunno why Blur are being singled out for  big concert price beef - it’s nothing compared to what Taylor Swift is charging for her US tour, and she’s doing 50+ stadium gigs. I’d rather not have paid what I did for the tickets, but it’s fairly standard now

Because Blur have done cheaper gigs in the past, as have Gorillaz. TS is notorious for fleecing her fans.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Managed to get 4 tickets in the second row for Blackpool for me and the family. Going to try in the general sale for Birmingham.

Honestly they're small venues mostly, as they're theatres. So we're talking 2000-3000k venues with maybe a 10% pre-sale allocation means only a couple of hundred tickets for each venue available. Was always going to be a trainwreck but the main sale on Friday should be fine. I think it's mostly just people not understanding that it's so few tickets available in the pre-sale.

I feel like for a lot of things pre-sale is far more than 10%. Some shows straight up sell out in the presale

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Yes, totally agree. There's usually an issue (or ten) with anything James related, ticket day generally causes an upset or two. But everyone seems to get a ticket in the end.

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Decent priced gigs are still out there:

Gong and Ozric Tentacles (who? shout the youngsters) - £25

Was going to see them. Couldn't in the end sadly.

On Blur. Just seems what these big gigs are. Looked at James tickets in a much much smaller venue. Top price £85. Maybe Blur and others are paying all the staff around it a decent wage. No idea.

Not for me, not sure I like the big gigs anymore, if i ever did, always went down the front mind. Same as Peter kay Gigs, just doesn't work for me. Happy it dies for others . 

Did giggle at some comments around. "It's an outrage" "greedy so and so's ". Next minute "I've got a ticket"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Was going to see them. Couldn't in the end sadly.

I'm considering the Exeter gig, but I really don't like the Phoenix as a venue.

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Did giggle at some comments around. "It's an outrage" "greedy so and so's ". Next minute "I've got a ticket"

Exactly.

Only way to stop it - don't buy the tickets (but others will - yea i get it)

11 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Because middle aged men are upset that tickets dont cost £20 for their favorite pub band. And apparently Damon and co somehow owe everyone a favor with cheap tickets. Luckily e fests is a microcosm and they sold 80% of tickets already.  Notice how nobody got that upset with Pulp and tix are just a bit less than this?

Piss off back to Coachella mate. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Because middle aged men are upset that tickets dont cost £20 for their favorite pub band. And apparently Damon and co somehow owe everyone a favor with cheap tickets. Luckily e fests is a microcosm and they sold 80% of tickets already.  Notice how nobody got that upset with Pulp and tix are just a bit less than this?

favourite

favour

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Well, maybe you should go also then Jeff because you couldn't see driving home the other night, because you, you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off. You just stick to Specsavers and I'll do the game

Edited by kingbadger
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Nobody fucking cares what you think.

51 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

We are still waiting for you to support a single claim you have made on this forum by the way.

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

How dare anyone complain about a millionaire band charging ridiculous sums of money for their gigs!!!

This.

As I posted earlier, but conveniently ignored by everyone - Damon Albarn has a net worth of $50 million and an annual income of $7 million (source Forbes). He could afford to do the gig for free.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This.

As I posted earlier, but conveniently ignored by everyone - Damon Albarn has a net worth of $50 million and an annual income of $7 million (source Forbes). He could afford to do the gig for free.

Nobody wants him to do it for free, and nobody expects them not to make money off it.

We just don’t like having the piss taken.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This.

He should work for free? 

What about the other people in the band who don't have the same net worth and income?

What about the session musicians?

What about the techs and roadies?

Catering staff?

Admin staff?

etc etc

As we have discussed ad infinitum it is too expensive, stadium gigs all are (to a greater and lesser extent), how much you hold them as money grabbing seems to rest on the fact that this is Blur.

I don't see the same criticism of Peter Kay for example. At least people could be consistent. 

And round we go again......