Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

15 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Portishead in 13 was the best thing I've ever seen on the other (and maybe in my life), but that Queens show was wonderful. A worthy second place in the other headliner tier list. 

Not according to eFests last time we tried to figure this one out...

On 8/2/2021 at 10:03 AM, kalifire said:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Still the best set I’ve seen at Glastonbury 

I think the party we had at West Holts that night was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in that field, so it was certainly a clashfest.

Apparently AM were on the Pyramid that night...I won't feel any greater inclination to see them if they're there this time either 🙂 

Watching @kalifire's marvellous graph is a bit of a headscratcher and for my tiny mind prompts more questions than answers.  I'd like to see a big graph with the whole lot, so i know whether or not can dismiss this advisory referendum.

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think the party we had at West Holts that night was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in that field, so it was certainly a clashfest.

Apparently AM were on the Pyramid that night...I won't feel any greater inclination to see them if they're there this time either 🙂 

Watching @kalifire's marvellous graph is a bit of a headscratcher and for my tiny mind prompts more questions than answers.  I'd like to see a big graph with the whole lot, so i know whether or not can dismiss this advisory referendum.

Amazing the power of hindsight. Gutted to miss LCD Soundsystem but was mud bound and exhausted at the pyramid.

personally prefer the first time Christine and the queens played the other 

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's just one interpretation of it. Arguably programming the Pyramid is a more difficult job as its got to maintain broad appeal ans also offering variety, a mix of genres and ages whilst maintaining the credibility of the festival to the watching world.

The dipshits wanging on about the picnic blanket brigade 😂😂😂 couldn't do half as good a job

The world doesnt get to watch the festival. So watching country is more like it. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Some party. One of the greatest gigs I've ever seen 🥳 

Everyone in our group came away that night from whatever they chose to see saying how brilliant it was. Apart from my poor mate who went to see The Horrors play to 20 people...

Edited by T-Mouse

3 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Portishead in 13 was the best thing I've ever seen on the other (and maybe in my life), but that Queens show was wonderful. A worthy second place in the other headliner tier list. 

I feel exactly the same! It's funny as I'm not a massive fan of the Other Stage as a daytime vibe, but there's something special about it for headliners. I think it's to do with the fact that most of the time the crowd are there because they want to be rather than just because. Flaming Lips in 2010 and LCD Soundsystem in 2016 also up there for me as an all time favs!

Edited by Justiceforcedave

On 2/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Gnomicide said:

I love acts that do it. Mavericks started with Dance The Night Away in Avalon 2017. Not at Glastonbury but Bon Jovi often start with a 1, 2 of Livin' On A Prayer & You Give Love A Bad Name.

pretty sure foals last year started with a big number

saw chems at latitude and they started with hey boy hey girl, was absolutely nuts

On 2/25/2023 at 2:07 PM, kalifire said:

Not according to eFests last time we tried to figure this one out...

That LCD Soundsystem gig was magical. A long, tough but enjoyable festival with a cathartic ending. One of the best crowds of the festival enjoying every second. I remember the countdown clock for the set behind James, and as it ended with All My Friends it had that feeling of trying to cling on. Those Coldplay wristbands going off everywhere too and it felt like the only place to be. My favourite gig at the festival I think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gfa said:

pretty sure foals last year started with a big number

saw chems at latitude and they started with hey boy hey girl, was absolutely nuts

They opened with Wake Me Up - lead single from their current album. A big start, though not uncommon. They did play Mountain At My Gates and My Number, probably their two biggest tracks, both in the first 5 songs though

42 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

They opened with Wake Me Up - lead single from their current album. A big start, though not uncommon. They did play Mountain At My Gates and My Number, probably their two biggest tracks, both in the first 5 songs though

yeah definitely, my mates said after they only knew the first few songs lol

two steps while a banger is hardly the biggest closer haha

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

yeah definitely, my mates said after they only knew the first few songs lol

two steps while a banger is hardly the biggest closer haha

I respectfully disagree! Think it's the perfect way to go out with a bang. The studio version doesn't scan as a closer whatsoever, but live it's always amazing the way they built it up (although the version they played for their 2019 set was miles better than their 2022 version)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

That LCD Soundsystem gig was magical. A long, tough but enjoyable festival with a cathartic ending. One of the best crowds of the festival enjoying every second. I remember the countdown clock for the set behind James, and as it ended with All My Friends it had that feeling of trying to cling on. Those Coldplay wristbands going off everywhere too and it felt like the only place to be. My favourite gig at the festival I think.

I remember having a Coldplay wrist band a ceremoniously tossing it in the bin afterwards. 

I vividly remember a moment when they finished a song, the crowd cheered for ages... the cheering died down, James grinned ear to ear and then the cheering started again as a show of appreciation. Love it when that happens!

10 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I remember having a Coldplay wrist band a ceremoniously tossing it in the bin afterwards. 

I vividly remember a moment when they finished a song, the crowd cheered for ages... the cheering died down, James grinned ear to ear and then the cheering started again as a show of appreciation. Love it when that happens!

1:05:25 gives me dem goosebumps.

1 hour ago, Metal Monkey said:

Boomtown? I hope it's Boomtown!

Boomtown don't announce their lineup

Green Man maybe i think

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

I respectfully disagree! Think it's the perfect way to go out with a bang. The studio version doesn't scan as a closer whatsoever, but live it's always amazing the way they built it up (although the version they played for their 2019 set was miles better than their 2022 version)

Oh i know its a banger and its a great closer, just meant its not a big song like stream wise etc. 11 million for an other stage headliner closer might be a record!