Theatre/Musicals/plays - seen anything good/bad recently?

GeezLouise

On 1/13/2023 at 5:39 PM, anditmakesmesmile said:

And on the subject of the National Theatre, Richard Hawley's musical, Standing at the Sky's Edge, is on at the Olivier next month. Anyone see it when it was on at Sheffield? 

Yes , I grabbed a last minute return one ticket a couple of weeks ago and saw it in Sheffield, I loved it, I'm not from Sheffield but it worked , loved it, so so clever, music is brilliant, its gritty and real and history in my lifetime

Hope you enjoy it , be interested to hear how it does in London 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GeezLouise said:

Saw Lemons lemons lemons lemons lemons last night, had the understudy rather than Jenna Coleman. 

was an interesting enough of a play but nothing too deep and cant say too much or I’ll ruin the premise. 

Did the understudy have any chemistry with Mr Turner? I didnt find much between the two of them when I saw it. Was worth it for the stage door line afterwards though!

Oh and I do have tickets for the Streetcar transfer, only just though...

We saw 2 Billion Beats at The Orange Tree a couple of weeks ago. Superb performances from Shala Nyx and Tanvi Virmani,  90 mins without interval, just the two of them and the stage, absolutely captivating.

https://orangetreetheatre.co.uk/about/news/cast-announced-for-two-billion-beats-2023

Edited by 2019
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Did the understudy have any chemistry with Mr Turner? I didnt find much between the two of them when I saw it. Was worth it for the stage door line afterwards though!

Oh and I do have tickets for the Streetcar transfer, only just though...

Did you see the understudy also? I wouldn’t say there was much chemistry, no. It was okay. I certainly believed they were in an annoying relationship 😅 

let us know how street car is! I haven’t gone for tickets as I saw the Young Vic one not so long ago 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Best of Enemies with Zachary Quinto the other day, the story was incredibly itneresting and the play was good until about....75% of the way through it and then something a bit strange happened which took you out of the play. HOwever, would recommend. Think it might be shutting on westend but i heard that it's transferring to broadway. 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Yes , I grabbed a last minute return one ticket a couple of weeks ago and saw it in Sheffield, I loved it, I'm not from Sheffield but it worked , loved it, so so clever, music is brilliant, its gritty and real and history in my lifetime

I finally saw this last week, really really enjoyed it. I thought it was really refreshing. Was progressive without shoving down your throat, the music was aces even if it didn't quite fit the story and it had my very favourite Robert Lonsdale in (who was also in C4's Chewing Gum).  The only downside was....

[spoiler ahead]

No one wanted the lesbians to get together did they? Debbie downer. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Went down very well in London from our perspective.  Cleverly put together, the songs, not surprisingly, brilliant, and a real emotional punch at the end.  Lots of the audience crying.  I wasn't crying, I just had something in my eye, obviously. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see The Ocean the End of the Lane last night. Superb acting, special effects and music. For once I agree with the critics. Definitely 5 stars. Last night is tonight at Bath but if it tours near you, it's well worth watching.

Edited by Ommadawn

On 1/13/2023 at 5:39 PM, anditmakesmesmile said:

And on the subject of the National Theatre, Richard Hawley's musical, Standing at the Sky's Edge, is on at the Olivier next month. Anyone see it when it was on at Sheffield? 

Saw it before Christmas. One of the best things I've ever seen! Absolutely brilliant. Great voices and excellent story. Do a bit of research before you see it if you're not from Sheffield 

On 3/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, Ommadawn said:

Went to see The Ocean the End of the Lane last night. Superb acting, special effects and music. For once I agree with the critics. Definitely 5 stars. Last night is tonight at Bath but if it tours near you, it's well worth watching.

Just got 2 £13 tickets for Birmingham. I didn't realise they had tickets that cheap these days. The theatre's 5 minutes walk from my flat as well, gonna see what else is that price now. Thanks for the recco.

3 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Just got 2 £13 tickets for Birmingham. I didn't realise they had tickets that cheap these days. The theatre's 5 minutes walk from my flat as well, gonna see what else is that price now. Thanks for the recco.

Hope you enjoy it.

Guys And Dolls at The Bridge last night. Pretty much the perfect night out at the theatre.

Wonderful staging, barnstorming performance from Marisha Wallace backed up by across the board strong cast and just so much fun. It's a pretty flimsy story, of course, but the production just oozes charm and energy.

And Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat was the absolute epitome of a show-stopper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...