Any advice for Glastonbury newcomers?

Pr0paneNightm4re

6 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Just managed to bag 5 tickets for me and my mates to go to our very first Glasto. Camped Leeds and Download before so obvs have festival experience but wanted to know if there was any useful information (I.e. which campsites are best etc.) or anything you’d have wished you’d known before you’d been the first time?

cheers!

Try and see as many venues/areas as possible, not acts. 

Don't get stuck at Pyramid/Other. 

Stay up for a sunrise.

There is an old railway line that runs through the site.  Use it as your navigational aid to find pretty much everything. 

Study the map before hand.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Whatever you do, do not do this. Infact if you can manage - get off efests entirely. Wish i had been able to!

Ha ha okay well I guess the original poster can choose which piece of advice to take! Maybe it’s just me but all events I go to I like to have a general understanding of where things are as it tends to save some time.

Just now, stuie said:

Ha ha okay well I guess the original poster can choose which piece of advice to take! Maybe it’s just me but all events I go to I like to have a general understanding of where things are as it tends to save some time.

I do agree but wish i'd just got completely lost as well. Having a general idea of where to go is probably helpful - i only got lost once and that was post headliners trying to find WG from WH (something very trivial!!)

Use the property lockups. They’ll store most things for you. I tend to put my cash in there and just take out what I need until I’m going to be back near it later that day. They’re free to use but always worth putting in a bit of a charitable donation. 

Some will charge your phone for you too.

A very common piece of advice is not to be too rigid with your plans. 

I completely agree with this, but don't take it as 'don't have a plan'. In my experience, having a good idea of what you want to see each day gives you structure. Just don't be too inflexible, or try to do too much. 

8 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

This isn’t for everyone, but don’t be afraid to ditch your mates at times (or cut down to 1 or 2), especially during the daytime.

Arguably the night time is when its best to cut down - don't want to be stumbling around the SE corner with 10 people trying to not lose everyone

Edited by gfa

17 hours ago, gfa said:

I do agree but wish i'd just got completely lost as well. Having a general idea of where to go is probably helpful - i only got lost once and that was post headliners trying to find WG from WH (something very trivial!!)

I was clued up on where I was going - but my mates weren't and the stories they had coming back from the SE corner after my early nights were great. All had their 10k steps in before the next morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rgill3 said:

I was clued up on where I was going - but my mates weren't and the stories they had coming back from the SE corner after my early nights were great. All had their 10k steps in before the next morning.

I was fairly clued up, only got lost a few times. I walked the wrong way round back from the Se corner one night, went across pyramid field, past beat hotel, John Peel etc back to bushy - took an hour

21 hours ago, shuttlep said:

stray off the beaten path.

spend the day in the Circus and caberet fields,  watch some comedy .

I agree with this, been spending more and more time in circus and cabaret, and less time on the main stages. And off the beaten path is a joy and pleasant contrast from spending all your time in huge crowds. try and get a sensible balance between it all.

So, for me, much of this is excellent and well worth spending time:

https://www.glastoearth.com/p/torts-faq-part-6.html#:~:text=What else is there to see and do%3F 

Edited by Avalon_Fields
  • Like 1

The discovery of the festival is definitely a big part of the draw but I think its worth knowing, pre-festival, a couple of quiet spots where you can just have a chill if it all gets a bit too much. 

We had a rough one during the Saturday last year and just felt a bit 'off'. A sunset sit round the campfire up in Strummerville soon sorted us out. Amazing bolt-hole to just have an hour of quiet.