Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

There will be people going who weren't there last year so let's book Billie, Macca and Kendrick again!

(To be fair I believe Kendrick should get a lifetime residency)

Well sure, it's easy to take a value, multiply it by 6, apply the same argument and make it sound silly. 

Think my main point is that, GNR isn't necessarily a "better" booking than Foos or AM simply because they've never played. Both bands have more recent tunes than GNR even if they've already played some at Glasto before. Hell, Radiohead only did 2 from AMSP, it was hardly rinsed.

While we're at it, Slipknot have had FOUR albums since GNR's last, and have never played! Get them on! 

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Well sure, it's easy to take a value, multiply it by 6, apply the same argument and make it sound silly. 

Think my main point is that, GNR isn't necessarily a "better" booking than Foos or AM simply because they've never played. Both bands have more recent tunes than GNR even if they've already played some at Glasto before. Hell, Radiohead only did 2 from AMSP, it was hardly rinsed.

While we're at it, Slipknot have had FOUR albums since GNR's last, and have never played! Get them on! 

Foos may be a better act than GnR, but that is no basis for a booking policy is it. Otherwise they’d just keep booking Blur and Kendrick Lamar over and over.

Edited by Jose Pose

Just now, Jose Pose said:

Foos may be a better act than GnR, but that is no basis for a booking policy is it. 

I didn't say they were - they are, but I didn't say that, I said they've had more recent tunes and they're far more popular in the UK. We're only really discounting the idea because they've not written anything new since they last showed up, which is certainly a good argument not to have them. Just not sure it outweighs GNR having never done it, personally. 

Anyway, all besides the point, it won't be them. If there's any holes in the rumoured trio it's that there's nothing zeitgeist about it at all which seems to be the direction the festival's been heading since, well, since Foos last played. 

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

I’m not sure how many more times this needs to be said, surely the fact Foos played TWO festivals ago is enough for anyone with half a brain cell to rule them out and naturally place the current TBCs ahead of them?

It was three festivals ago. And REM did the same gap without the cancelled years. So it's not unprecedented, unless you want to go tell Michael Eavis he doesn't have half a brain cell?

45 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Glastonbury literally has the whole of music to pick from 

I mean, it doesn't though. It has who is available and who will do it for the price they can afford, which is low. You think if they could pick from the whole of music we'd have fucking Arctic Monkeys?

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I stand by my argument that the same people calling for the Foos would be in meltdown if Sheeran was booked again.

I think you're confusing me and others with people who give a crap about the Foo Fighters. I'm far more likely to go see GnR than I am Foos, and couldn't really give a crap about either. But I'm not going to dismiss info out of hand. Reliable source, the fact that Grohl guested last year (Pyramid guests often play the next year). I don't think anyone thinks they're more likely to playing than GnR, just that the possibility exists. But we could do what you suggest and just ignore it and continue to argue whether GnR are either "shit" or "the worst booking the festival has ever made" because that's a million times more interesting.

I suspect you're being disingenuous though, as if I asked you when you thought Foos would headline again you'd tell me "sometime in the next five years" and if I asked when you think Sheeran would headline again you'd tell me "never". I might be wrong, but consensus was Sheeran was a one-and-done, while Foos are friends of the festival.

52 minutes ago, adcarr_ said:

Oh god 🤣my gf already thinks I’m mental for scrolling through this forum religiously every day. God knows what she’s gonna think of me when I’m pretending to be a met office employee for a month! 

Yeah, don't get drawn into the weather thread, that way lies the path to madness. 

The most important nuggets, ie what to pack for the conditions, will make it to other threads. 

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It was three festivals ago. And REM did the same gap without the cancelled years. So it's not unprecedented, unless you want to go tell Michael Eavis he doesn't have half a brain cell?

I mean, it doesn't though. It has who is available and who will do it for the price they can afford, which is low. You think if they could pick from the whole of music we'd have fucking Arctic Monkeys?

I think you're confusing me and others with people who give a crap about the Foo Fighters. I'm far more likely to go see GnR than I am Foos, and couldn't really give a crap about either. But I'm not going to dismiss info out of hand. Reliable source, the fact that Grohl guested last year (Pyramid guests often play the next year). I don't think anyone thinks they're more likely to playing than GnR, just that the possibility exists. But we could do what you suggest and just ignore it and continue to argue whether GnR are either "shit" or "the worst booking the festival has ever made" because that's a million times more interesting.

I suspect you're being disingenuous though, as if I asked you when you thought Foos would headline again you'd tell me "sometime in the next five years" and if I asked when you think Sheeran would headline again you'd tell me "never". I might be wrong, but consensus was Sheeran was a one-and-done, while Foos are friends of the festival.

Your MO seems to be latching on to one off events and then shaping the whole festival around them.

Edited by Jose Pose

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

while Foos are friends of the festival.

Are they? How exactly? Because Sprinty Dave said nice things about them? Because they did that stunt at the C&G? They've played twice, and they were 20 years apart. Pretty sure Dave appearing this year was at Macca's request, not Emily or Michael's.

Coldplay are friends of the festival. Elbow are. Fatboy Slim is.

Foos aren't on that level.

1 minute ago, GeezLouise said:

Everytime anyone gets angry, we chuck a top 10 simpsons episode post in. 

Ahh I see! I am rewatching Friends (each episode lasts the perfect length for my cycle to get fit for Glastonbury) I am a girl. I might post random friends shit if this anger stuff continues..you have been warned