Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

Re a step backwards from Kendrick, that's just bollocks.  Is KL the peak of a genre and we can't have anything similar until a new peak comes along?  After Travis in 2000 why did Coldplay happen the festival after that?

I guess I just mean Kendrick feels at his peak right now while Eminem would be a step back to the past. Maybe I just prefer him, as much as I like a few of his songs I've always found his rap style a bit monotonous after a while.

Edited by addicted2noise

57 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

All the arguments back and forth about Eminem, and nobody ever seems to counter the "he's shit live" point. Is that just universally agreed upon?

Pretty much, I think. As far as I can see, there’s zero crowd interaction, lots of dependence on a hype man, plenty of tunes cut short or just a verse or two, and it’s all a bit copy/paste his generic set into wherever he happens to be. From that perspective, he’s far from a Glasto fit.

But - if he was to do a collaboration set, bringing in guests frequently and adapting it a bit, he could still absolutely smash it. 

9 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I guess I just mean Kendrick feels at his peak right now while Eminem would be a step back to the past. Maybe I just prefer him, as much as I like a few of his songs I've always found his rap style a bit monotonous after a while.

Yes, but do/would you apply the same peakiness to headliners from other genres?  Last year they had Paul McCartney.  Whoever it is the BBC will ramp up the hype and tell the viewing public why each headliner is amazing and at least a few people will get excited.  They're about to do their darndest to ram qatar down our throats, Harry Styles or whatever rubbish it ends up being will be easy after that 🙂 

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Yes, but do/would you apply the same peakiness to headliners from other genres?  Last year they had Paul McCartney.  Whoever it is the BBC will ramp up the hype and tell the viewing public why each headliner is amazing and at least a few people will get excited.  They're about to do their darndest to ram qatar down our throats, Harry Styles or whatever rubbish it ends up being will be easy after that 🙂 

There's always been double standards applied re Hiphop/rap.

No idea why that might be though....

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's always been double standards applied re Hiphop/rap.

No idea why that might be though....

And obviously I picked a poor example and people will say that PM was booked because he's a legend, and certainly he is more so than Eminem.  Interesting that people say Gorrilaz were one of the worst headliners because the lost the crowd in the first hour - I'd argue PM did that last year too though.  I don't give a crap about Eminem, but there seems like plenty of good reasons why he'd be a worthy booking (along with plenty against, e.g. maybe he's crap live, I'm sure some people enjoy what he does though).  No idea if he's touring, available, or wants it enough to charge the right price.

53 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Pretty much, I think. As far as I can see, there’s zero crowd interaction, lots of dependence on a hype man, plenty of tunes cut short or just a verse or two, and it’s all a bit copy/paste his generic set into wherever he happens to be. From that perspective, he’s far from a Glasto fit.

But - if he was to do a collaboration set, bringing in guests frequently and adapting it a bit, he could still absolutely smash it. 

How often do the Chems ever play Chico's Groove from start to finish?

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's also tricky as cultural impact was very different in the 90s. Unless you were a posho with Sky it was 5 channels and no internet. Acts like The Spice Girls and Take That were very much inescapable. If you wanted music you hadn't bought, it was the radio and they'd be on there. They'd be on TV as well. And as mentioned, all over the newspapers.

The flip side of this is that live music was much smaller, and gigs and festivals far less popular. All live events were less popular to be fair. The Spice Girls would be far less well known and popular if they returned now, but would sell far more tickets than they ever did in the 90s. It's exactly what happened with Take That.

(I remember in the 90s, going to see Bill Bailey at Wolverhampton Civic. The guy had his own TV show on Channel 4 at that point. We were waiting around for our lift home when he and his single roadie came out carrying his stuff and we got our tickets signed. These days he has a 12 person crew and a huge tour bus and sells out arenas. Still can't get his own TV show.)

What venues were the Spice Girls doing at their peak in the 90's? Would imagine they easily filled arenas, but did they do stadia?

I remember a kid at our school skived off for the day to go and see the Spice Girls open the new Tower Records store in Birmingham. He was pictured in the local paper at the front of the queue and was never allowed to live it down.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

What venues were the Spice Girls doing at their peak in the 90's? Would imagine they easily filled arenas, but did they do stadia?

I remember a kid at our school skived off for the day to go and see the Spice Girls open the new Tower Records store in Birmingham. He was pictured in the local paper at the front of the queue and was never allowed to live it down.

SpiceWorld Tour looks like it was mostly multiple nights at arenas, e.g. Wembley arena, but last two gigs of the tour were Wembley stadium & Dom Valley Stadium

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

SpiceWorld Tour looks like it was mostly multiple nights at arenas, e.g. Wembley arena, but last two gigs of the tour were Wembley stadium & Dom Valley Stadium

Two nights at each of those stadiums...

edit - annoyingly their most recent tour (2019) also called Spice World (with a space) - they did 3 nights of Wembley at that one plus quite a few other stadiums around UK - so a pretty big tour.  Far too big for the Legends spot, but not quite feeling it for a Glastonbury headliner either - would be popular I'm sure though.

Edited by p.pete

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Their only tour at their peak was an arena tour which ended in a couple of stadiums at the end.

They actually never toured as much as eg Take That despite being a much bigger cultural force, and so that's why there is even bigger demand from fans nowadays and they're able to do stadiums. Most fans never got to see them back in the day, and nostalgia's amped it up since then.

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Their only tour at their peak was an arena tour which ended in a couple of stadiums at the end.

They actually never toured as much as eg Take That despite being a much bigger cultural force, and so that's why there is even bigger demand from fans nowadays and they're able to do stadiums. Most fans never got to see them back in the day, and nostalgia's amped it up since then.

Funny, I really don’t recall them touring at all in the 90’s. Think they came to Birmingham to do the NEC and that was about it.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Funny, I really don’t recall them touring at all in the 90’s. Think they came to Birmingham to do the NEC and that was about it.

They were such a moneymaker that they didn't really need to tour, I suppose (which feels archaic compared to what artists have to do now) – and they were only really operational as that main five piece for two/three years before Geri left and the wheels fell off a bit. They really squeezed in a lot at their peak, but touring wasn't particularly something they managed to do much.

3 hours ago, p.pete said:

And obviously I picked a poor example and people will say that PM was booked because he's a legend, and certainly he is more so than Eminem.  Interesting that people say Gorrilaz were one of the worst headliners because the lost the crowd in the first hour - I'd argue PM did that last year too though.  I don't give a crap about Eminem, but there seems like plenty of good reasons why he'd be a worthy booking (along with plenty against, e.g. maybe he's crap live, I'm sure some people enjoy what he does though).  No idea if he's touring, available, or wants it enough to charge the right price.

A) McCartney never lost the crowd.

B) Gorillaz never got them back.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

A lot of rappers do this for some reason. Didn't Kendrick do it a few times last year, for example?

6 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Labelling any bands, let alone extremely popular ones, 'shit' or 'lacking taste' for liking them says otherwise. 

Most of the snobbery on here is aimed at people who aren't into popular artists. I've seen people get labelled as "dark fruits" or "gammon" for not being into whatever currently trendy artists Capital FM plays.

"Oh, you like The Stone Roses but not Cardi B? You're so uncultured!"

Edited by VCK

56 minutes ago, Superscally said:

A) McCartney never lost the crowd.

B) Gorillaz never got them back.

Macca sounded poor and chose a poor setlist. Left half way through sorely disappointed because he was brilliant when I saw him at the O2 a few years ago

Managed to get into funkingham palace for Craig Charles though. So even if someone crap plays there's always a decent chance to go down the rabbit role 

The gorillaz were surprisingly great at APE this year. Damon's presence and crowd interaction sold me on a blur ticket this morning 

6 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

What conclusion did we come to about Silk Sonic? Their setlist contains Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak solo stuff to help carry it.

I know the name isn’t a household name as much as Bruno Mars by himself but could be a great wildcard headliner 

Isn’t Fun Sized Mars a bit of a cash whore and a diva? Doubt he’d take a reduced fee to perform on a muddy farm and it’d be a gamble for the bookers.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

He lost me.

Didn't lose anyone near us. Complainers more likely to post.

3 hours ago, skillfulperson said:

Macca sounded poor and chose a poor setlist. Left half way through sorely disappointed because he was brilliant when I saw him at the O2 a few years ago

Managed to get into funkingham palace for Craig Charles though. So even if someone crap plays there's always a decent chance to go down the rabbit role 

The gorillaz were surprisingly great at APE this year. Damon's presence and crowd interaction sold me on a blur ticket this morning 

Set list was bob on. You weren't at the Bootleg Beatles lad.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Didn't lose anyone near us. Complainers more likely to post.

There was a fair few walking away as I got to the outer reaches of the crowd when I left, somewhere between 30-45 mins into his set. I imagine there was a lot who went because he's a Beatle but didn't know any of the songs he was playing.