Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

This is interesting, I would never have guessed that, but I'm not under 40.

Attention people under 40.

Name the biggest artists of your life time.

I squeeze into this by a matter of months, so......

Solely UK artists I'd say Oasis 

Worldwide I'd go Beyonce

I've given this about 6 seconds thought so am probably forgetting someone obvious

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

He's got the catalogue for it. Just depends how he approaches it. I think after Stormzy and Kendrick people are gonna be way less interested in the "play half of 32 songs with a constant hype man" style.

Would probably get a bigger crowd than both

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Exactly, lets take a look, 2022 - Macca, several decades beyond his peak. 2013 - Rolling Stones etc, etc, etc

I meant more like the Cure than macca/stones. Cure are a big act but they aren't legendary like the other two and were still booked recently

Just now, gfa said:

Would probably get a bigger crowd than both

I meant more like the Cure than macca/stones. Cure are a big act but they aren't legendary like the other two and were still booked recently

I'd say the cure are pretty legendary, probably one of the biggest alternative bands going in terms of longevity.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

I'd say the cure are pretty legendary, probably one of the biggest alternative bands going in terms of longevity.

Not into them, but I agree, surely they have to be counted amongst legends... Global success spanning decades is a pretty fair yard stick to measure legendary status by... 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

This is interesting, I would never have guessed that, but I'm not under 40.

Attention people under 40.

Name the biggest artists of your life time.

In terms of solo artists

10th Rihanna

9th Beyoncé

8th Drake

7th That ginger guy with the guitar

6th Taytay

5th Rylan

4th Daz Sampson

3rd Guy Goma

2nd DJ Talent

1st Pablo Honey

14 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

11 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Not into them, but I agree, surely they have to be counted amongst legends... Global success spanning decades is a pretty fair yard stick to measure legendary status by... 

I don't really see how Eminem is on a different level is more my point than defining legends.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't really see how Eminem is on a different level is more my point than defining legends.

Oh yeh, I get that 🙂 

For me, (almost) anybody who has had a successful career spanning multiple decades would be somebody I define as a legend. And any legend could turn up on that stage and I wouldn't be surprised... 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's not true though, loads of sites list him in the top ten most legendary artists of all time, from all genres, first hit on a google search (for: worlds most legendary musicians) lists him as second only to Michael Jackson!!!

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/musicians.php

Don't you just love it when people think their own opinions are reflective of the entire planet... 

Macca isn't in that list. I felt like it needed saying. As you were

The defense of Eminem seems to be very similar to the defence people give for Jimmy Carr. And to be fair, I agree with that as a defense, but I can also see why he's not a good fit for Glastonbury based on that. If millions misunderstand you then at some point you have to consider if it's a failure of expression.

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Macca isn't in that list. I felt like it needed saying. As you were

Shocking that is!!!

It states that the algorithm works on a combination of things, including voting and search queries... Guess whoever is voting and searching just don't have Macca at the forefront of their minds when asked.

Definitely a legend though!

Edited by Alvoram

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The defense of Eminem seems to be very similar to the defence people give for Jimmy Carr. And to be fair, I agree with that as a defense, but I can also see why he's not a good fit for Glastonbury based on that. If millions misunderstand you then at some point you have to consider if it's a failure of expression.

No idea what's wrong with Jimmy Carr. Just make sure you never catch a glimpse of any footage of Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Jerry Sadowitz or several other controversial comedians. We have an increasing problem with "cancel culture" where intelligent people are being shut down from making interesting social comment through clever satire. People need to stop taking them so literally and see the message.

Still don't understand the "not a good fit for Glastonbury" comments. There have been many controversial acts in all forms of entertainment over the decades, and short of them being genuinely racist or in some other way bigoted there is no way they should be excluded.

I fully believe that those who misunderstood Eminem, did so deliberately through a hatred of/stroke bias against Hiphop, largely fueled by right wing politicians, commentators, media and general dickheads.

I'll repeat what an old friend of mine once said; "people don't necessarily hate Hiphop, they hate the idea of Hiphop"

• Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Jimmy Carr was on stage with the killers at one point in 2019

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No idea what's wrong with Jimmy Carr. Just make sure you never catch a glimpse of any footage of Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Jerry Sadowitz or several other controversial comedians. We have an increasing problem with "cancel culture" where intelligent people are being shut down from making interesting social comment through clever satire. People need to stop taking them so literally and see the message.

If you want to use a comedian as an example, it's interesting you missed out the comparison I was tempted to make earlier - Andrew Dice Clay.

Basically, while he may or may not originally have said things without malice, he's said them frequently enough and loudly enough and influenced people to believe them enough that he no longer has that defence.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

If you want to use a comedian as an example, it's interesting you missed out the comparison I was tempted to make earlier - Andrew Dice Clay.

Basically, while he may or may not originally have said things without malice, he's said them frequently enough and loudly enough and influenced people to believe them enough that he no longer has that defence.

That's because I've never heard of him.

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Still don't understand the "not a good fit for Glastonbury" comments. There have been many controversial acts in all forms of entertainment over the decades, and short of them being genuinely racist or in some other way bigoted there is no way they should be excluded.

I fully believe that those who misunderstood Eminem, did so deliberately through a hatred of/stroke bias against Hiphop, largely fueled by right wing politicians, commentators, media and general dickheads.

I'll repeat what an old friend of mine once said; "people don't necessarily hate Hiphop, they hate the idea of Hiphop"

Eminem has never made “interesting social commentary”. He’s a middle aged man who just says “faggot” a lot for shock value.