Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Given that he’s in Belgium in the Saturday I’d be more surprised if he was.

Tbf I've seen people talk up Slipknot for Download despite them being in Switzerland on the Saturday of Download weekend. If they can do that, Belgium to Glastonbury as an overnight isn't necessarily impossible. More a case of whether his touring people see it as practical - personally, I'd be surprised.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My view with Harry is he could become a contender if they need a Sunday headliner and other options don’t materialise. Coming from Belgium to Glastonbury wouldn’t be that much of a logistical stretch. 

If he was doing consecutive nights in different venues, or if he was doing Werchter Friday or Sunday I’d think he was a possibility.

My view is that if he was playing or had any plan to play Glastonbury then he wouldn’t have taken that Werchter gig.

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My view with Harry is he could become a contender if they need a Sunday headliner and other options don’t materialise. Coming from Belgium to Glastonbury wouldn’t be that much of a logistical stretch. 

Yeah but I dont think he wants to push his voice. Just had to shuffle 3 dates til January cause he needed vocal rest. You wanna roll the dice at that juncture that he would be ok?

even Wolf Alice played the Friday so they had time to get to europe for their harry support gigs.  And you saw the flight delays they had to endure to get back to even play.

also been the extreme circumstances like Babymetal flying from Tokyo overnight to play the next day in the uk.

Edited by Suprefan

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

I say this as someone who’s music taste is extremely varied, but was shaped during the indie landfill years…

..Harry Styles solo stuff is fucking awesome and better than most of what Ezra and Sheeran conjure up. I would see him in a heartbeat, and I’d sooner 1D headline than Ezra.

Why are these the options? Has the bar gotten that low.

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

Why are these the options? Has the bar gotten that low.

Saw people talking about Ezra. So fired off on that insufferable turd, and Sheeran is of that ilk.

We’re very quick to say people should get the bump up for various genres/genders/and everything else. So why can’t Harry Styles be considered? If Dua Lipa can do it, so can Harry. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah but I dont think he wants to push his voice. Just had to shuffle 3 dates til January cause he needed vocal rest. You wanna roll the dice at that juncture that he would be ok?

even Wolf Alice played the Friday so they had time to get to europe for their harry support gigs.  And you saw the flight delays they had to endure to get back to even play.

also been the extreme circumstances like Babymetal flying from Tokyo overnight to play the next day in the uk.

You don’t even have to take a flight from Belgium to the UK if you don’t want to. Can drive there. Plus a private jet takes about an hour.

19 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I say this as someone who’s music taste is extremely varied, but was shaped during the indie landfill years…

..Harry Styles solo stuff is fucking awesome and better than most of what Ezra and Sheeran conjure up. I would see him in a heartbeat, and I’d sooner 1D headline than Ezra.

With you on that. His latest album is a banger.

Guns N Roses headlining in in 2023? It would have been embarrassing enough 20 years. 

Really though, there doesn't seem many around that I'd consider decent headliners that haven't fallen down the pecking order or haven't already done it before. Eminem rumours have been mentioned, which would have been actually decent 20 years ago, but now? 🤨. Fleetwood Mac a notable omission of the older bands, but it seems that ship has sailed.

Got to look at newer pop acts really I suppose. They don't do anything for me but the likes of Harry Styles are big enough to headline.

*Yes, I am trying to make myself feel better about missing out on a ticket yesterday and it isn't really about the headliners anyway.

Coming from my perspective, if the lineup was AM, GnR and Reg that'd be extremely disappointing - think a huge majority of people in my age range (20s) would probably agree? Plenty of opportunity to see AM before they got into this self-indulgent, Bowie-wannabe sound, GnR completely a non-entity now apart from the big hits, cannot imagine a big crowd for an entire set from them with Reg being an exception purely because of the amount of hits he had. Just feel like that lineup would really narrow the crowd down to a certain niche or age group, it does lack variation. 

Wouldn't mind 2 of them, preferably no GnR as I say; they're not headline worthy at all nowadays in my eyes, it's a complete nostalgia booking that doesn't resonate with current crowds. Everything crossed for one of Rihanna, Beyonce, Taylor, Dua, The Weeknd, Gaga, Harry Styles, Drake etcetc just for a bit of variation and catering to everyone, if anything. 

EDIT: Just a quick note on the Eminem rumours, can only see this being massively underwhelming too. Not released an 'okay' album since MMLP2 in 2013 and not released an actual good album since 'The Eminem Show' in 2002. Wouldn't really get the crowd going apart from a couple of songs but I'm terrified to think of what the setlist would be with all things considered, can't imagine it being a very good show.

Edited by SpencerF

Do we think Taylor is ever getting booked again or was 2020 just the right time and its now passed. 

I was deffo hoping it would be this year after she wasn't on last year's bill. But it just doesn't seem to be happening. 

Eminem after Kendrick Lamar last year would be very underwhelming. 

Edited by Xeph1995

21 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

Coming from my perspective, if the lineup was AM, GnR and Reg that'd be extremely disappointing - think a huge majority of people in my age range (20s) would probably agree? Plenty of opportunity to see AM before they got into this self-indulgent, Bowie-wannabe sound, GnR completely a non-entity now apart from the big hits, cannot imagine a big crowd for an entire set from them with Reg being an exception purely because of the amount of hits he had. Just feel like that lineup would really narrow the crowd down to a certain niche or age group, it does lack variation. 

I'm in that age range, and I'd see two of those 3 headliners. Nobody else that's being mentioned excites me more than the 3 here.

I'd see GnR and Elton, I've seen Arctic Monkeys enough times for one lifetime.

The main stage headliners barely matter to me anyway.

Edited by Ghost of Robbie Williams

21 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

EDIT: Just a quick note on the Eminem rumours, can only see this being massively underwhelming too. Not released an 'okay' album since MMLP2 in 2013 and not released an actual good album since 'The Eminem Show' in 2002. Wouldn't really get the crowd going apart from a couple of songs but I'm terrified to think of what the setlist would be with all things considered, can't imagine it being a very good show.

I'd call under 40% of his current setlists any good. Thing is, he rattles through so many half-songs that he plays about 34, but that's kinda just his style and I doubt he'd compromise it for a pyramid slot. I really can't see it happening personally. Kendrick, Stormzy and Kanye were all still riding high when they played, not headlining off the back of legendary albums from the 90s/early 2000s.