2024 Headliners

On 6/19/2023 at 11:14 AM, JRhys29 said:

This is an interesting one as I don't think there are as many obvious candidates as there are in other genres.

If they went down the same route as Kanye/Kendrick/Jay-Z then I only see Drake, Eminem or The Weeknd (hip-hop adjacent) as being the right size booking. I personally can't see it being Drake at all. Eminem hasn't put out anything noteworthy in at least 10 years and would almost feel a legacy booking these days, which may work well and tick both legacy & hip-hop boxes. The Weeknd would be a huge booking, but personally feel if they're going down that sort of genre then they're more likely to go after someone like Rihanna.

From the UK scene, Dave feels like the best bet with a new album likely out before the next fest. He would undoubtedly be the headliner that is 'promoted up', and would need to be complimented with two more well-established names alongside him - I don't think he's quite at household name status in the same way that Stormzy was / is. Skepta could also be an outside bet, although more likely would be an Other headliner.

Regardless, I don't think there are that many in contention. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a hip-hop act in 2024 but do see one again in 2025. 

According to the rumour mill, The Weeknd is an absolute whore for the $$$ in the same league as Bruno Mars, which is why you don't see either of them on the festival circuit much, and if you do, it's safe to say the Festival paid out an eye-watering sum of money for them to play. Which is a shame, as I think a Bruno headline set with Silk Sonic would be an insanely brilliant show!

3 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

According to the rumour mill, The Weeknd is an absolute whore for the $$$ in the same league as Bruno Mars, which is why you don't see either of them on the festival circuit much, and if you do, it's safe to say the Festival paid out an eye-watering sum of money for them to play. Which is a shame, as I think a Bruno headline set with Silk Sonic would be an insanely brilliant show!

The weeknd took his 8 million twice and was happy about it. Euro fests prob paying double cause they dont have a choice.

11 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Now it makes sense why everyone was saying Taylor out 😂

i was under the impression gfest was the dates that iow is

Well with it being the Ireland weekend now its not that it isnt possible. But its more that she would have to fly no matter what to get back and to perform. And if any production elements has to be moved they also had tk be flown overnight and such. Just give it another week when the extra taylor dates get put up and the weekend is full.

11 minutes ago, nban2010 said:

Emily confirmed to the BBC today 2 female headliners booked for 2024.

Taylor and Dua pretty much nailed on then. (Or Madonna?)

Taylor is the opposite of nailed on. Madge’s odds improving all the time if there isn’t a curveball we don’t currently regard as in the picture like Ariana or Gaga. 

33 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Woodsies really?

I’d say Other stage a la Lizzo in 2019? Maybe West Holts.

Lizzo played west holts in 2019. You guys like rap that much? She plays an american festival right now theres probably 50,000 people watching her. She plays glasto its way less. Gottaa consider demographics.

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Gaga still making a movie. Doubt she has time to prepare a show

True but a year is a long time for someone who works as hard as her. Think the bigger question would be if she’s still relevant enough for Emily to blow the budget on. Doubt she’d accept a third down slot like Katy Perry did a few years back. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Lizzo played west holts in 2019. You guys like rap that much? She plays an american festival right now theres probably 50,000 people watching her. She plays glasto its way less. Gottaa consider demographics.

You know what I edited my spelling error then it clicked it may have been West Holts.

Think with tiktok and social media now she’ll still get a good crowd just to even hear “Boys a liar”

Bear in mind Meg thee Stallion (bigger than Ice Spice of course) was up against a real life living Beatle and still drew a good crowd.

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

True but a year is a long time for someone who works as hard as her. Think the bigger question would be if she’s still relevant enough for Emily to blow the budget on. Doubt she’d accept a third down slot like Katy Perry did a few years back. 

Gaga is 100% a headliner if she ever plays.