2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Joey Peeps said:

Did we ever get intel as to why Stevie W is out of the picture? Hopefully not a health thing. 

Doesn't look like he's playing anywhere this summer? Was he ever actually in contention or was it just idle speculation?

Just now, rwhitehouse13 said:

Looking at all the rumours about Pyramid headliners I’m just glad that there is so much more around the festival than the Pyramid! 

This is the attitude to have. I remember my first Glastonbury - 2016 and thinking "Muse? Adele? Coldplay? What a boring load of Radio 2 fodder." Thankfully, I went to see other things and enjoy myself without whinging constantly that things weren't to my taste. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Doesn't look like he's playing anywhere this summer? Was he ever actually in contention or was it just idle speculation?

There was good info he was gonna do BST and Glastonbury, although who knows how far in to negotiations that got before he decided against it. Obviously some people here will never be convinced it was happening at all now, but seems he’s just decided not to tour at all now.

Just seen the SZA news. Interesting to see she hasn't been called a "UK festival exclusive". BST would do that if she was. Hasn't been booked for any other UK festivals yet has she? Not sure what else are yet to announce headliners other than glastonbury.

I reckon she's playing but the question is whether she's a headliner or takes a sub spot.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This is the thing... could have all just been guesses from a person who's got a track record of good guesses 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I see the Kings of Leon dates....so what was made of all their Glastonbury Instagram reels being posted? Just a coincidental promotion of their tour?

Unless they’re doing a Churnups or have grown out of their egos and are subbing it doesn’t seem to have much meaning

Just goes to show how people ‘in the know’ are sometimes as unreliable as their information. They could be right at the time, but given the journey to the poster, nothing is official until the festival announce it. 

• Like 1

I wonder...SZA and O-Rod both feel a bit like bumped-up subs if they do headline - is there any merit to the idea you bill them as co-headliners, doing 90 mins each to make up for the fact neither is a generational legend like Elton/Stevie W/Madonna?

For anyone concerned about the future of Glastonbury, for me, bookings like Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa and SZA (potentially) headlining the Pyramid and Wizkid headlining the Other Stage go some distance to safeguard it. There comes a point in time where you have to accept that something is no longer predominantly aimed towards you. You can either embrace those changes and get on board with it, seek out the areas that you still get value from or do something new. I've said it before, but I really think we're on the cusp of the festival moving into a new phase of its evolution. And as someone who'd like to see it continue well into the next decade, whether I attend or not, I think it's exciting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Just now, mouserat said:

I wonder...SZA and O-Rod both feel a bit like bumped-up subs if they do headline - is there any merit to the idea you bill them as co-headliners, doing 90 mins each to make up for the fact neither is a generational legend like Elton/Stevie W/Madonna?

Co-headliners are pointless at a festival like Glastonbury where only one gets to play last. I get it for Reading/Leeds where they can swap placings between sites, but not for Glastonbury.

Just now, mouserat said:

ORod will almost definitely be headlining in a couple of years time so I think she’ll just wait until then.

Or... Coldplay Dua is good info and they've been locked for ages and they wanted Madonna which fell through, tried for Stevie and didn't work out and now they are somewhat scrambling for a 3rd.

Wouldn't be the first time.. see last year for further reference

Just now, mouserat said:

You might be onto something here. I can see Emily posing the idea that they have "co-headliners" SZA and O-Rod on Sunday. Definitely shows how they're championing women this year by technically having 3 female headliners.

Prince was verbally booked half a dozen times but they could never get his signature on a contract. It doesn’t mean the info about him playing was unreliable - just that the purple one himself was unreliable

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For anyone concerned about the future of Glastonbury, for me, bookings like Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa and SZA (potentially) headlining the Pyramid and Wizkid headlining the Other Stage go some distance to safeguard it. There comes a point in time where you have to accept that something is no longer predominantly aimed towards you. You can either embrace those changes and get on board with it, seek out the areas that you still get value from or do something new. I've said it before, but I really think we're on the cusp of the festival moving into a new phase of its evolution. And as someone who'd like to see it continue well into the next decade, whether I attend or not, I think it's exciting.

No! Book Kings of Leon again!

• Like 2

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Co-headliners are pointless at a festival like Glastonbury where only one gets to play last. I get it for Reading/Leeds where they can swap placings between sites, but not for Glastonbury.

Good point. Even if you have identical set lengths, whoever on last is clearly seen by everyone as the 'actual' headliner