2024 Headliners

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only in a world where the 'lets have smaller headliners' bams get to play out their bizarre and twisted fantasies of wrecking the festival.

Kings of Leon wouldn't wreck the festival. By a huge portion of the demographic, that would go down very well.

Heck, neither Mumford or Kasabian or Kendrick or Metallica wrecked the festival. All of them either had small "clout" or small numbers in the field on the night. 

I don't think King's of Leon would be asked to headline as first choice, but it's not like smaller headliners have been uncommon the last 30 years.

Think we were lucky last year to have two massive heritage headliners and Arctics, but it won't be like that every year. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Heck, neither Mumford or Kasabian or Kendrick or Metallica wrecked the festival. All of them either had small "clout" or small numbers in the field on the night. 

I don't think King's of Leon would be asked to headline as first choice, but it's not like smaller headliners have been uncommon the last 30 years.

Think we were lucky last year to have two massive heritage headliners and Arctics, but it won't be like that every year. 

I pointed out the other week they replaced Foos with Florence who probably would not have fit the festivals normal headliner size act criteria and no one died and the festival did not implode. 

2 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I pointed out the other week they replaced Foos with Florence who probably would not have fit the festivals normal headliner size act criteria and no one died and the festival did not implode. 

And it went down pretty well in the field that night. People adapt.

• Upvote 1

I think the saddest thing for me is that I think the festival is losing its edge as the best in the world. We are looking at Dua Lipa, Coldplay & Stevie Wonder. 2 of those have played before. Yet 2 of the biggest acts on this planet who are both relevant are in the country but won't be there. 

37 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I think the saddest thing for me is that I think the festival is losing its edge as the best in the world. We are looking at Dua Lipa, Coldplay & Stevie Wonder. 2 of those have played before. Yet 2 of the biggest acts on this planet who are both relevant are in the country but won't be there. 

It may not be the most ideal for some people, but it is definitely the best lineup out of European festivals, with Coldplay, one of the biggest bands in the entire world, being world festival exclusive, Stevie Wonder ,arguably one of the biggest pioneers in the music industry, and Dua Lipa, one of the hottest music acts at the moment. All the other European festivals mostly have headliners who have either played Glastonbury within the last two years or have headliners who would only be big enough to headliner the Other Stage. And If you are referring to Taylor Swift as one of two of the biggest artists in the world, she isn’t free during Glasto weekend.

19 minutes ago, Glastozone said:

It may not be the most ideal for some people, but it is definitely the best lineup out of European festivals, with Coldplay, one of the biggest bands in the entire world, being world festival exclusive, Stevie Wonder ,arguably one of the biggest pioneers in the music industry, and Dua Lipa, one of the hottest music acts at the moment. All the other European festivals mostly have headliners who have either played Glastonbury within the last two years or have headliners who would only be big enough to headliner the Other Stage. And If you are referring to Taylor Swift as one of two of the biggest artists in the world, she isn’t free during Glasto weekend.

My thoughts were pearl jam and someone else who I can’t think of? Springsteen is in Europe 

Taylor would have needed a guarantee 10-20x larger than the festival could offer to attempt to shoehorn the Eras show onto the Pyramid. It was the ultimate non starter and says nothing about the festival losing its edge or otherwise.

2 hours ago, al_coholic said:

Don't be so coy

I was referring to Taylor of course as one of the people. It just beggars belief that she schedules 3 gigs in Dublin over the weekened. I simply do not understand why when she had previously agreed to headline the cancelled festival. 

The other one I was thinking about was P!nk. Although I do appreciate that her stage show would not translate onto the Pyramid very well. 

As for Springsteen, yep he has done it before, Coldplay have done it loads of times, Stevie Wonder has done it before, I don't get this legendary artist argument. We need fresh and new, something we haven't seen before. 

I don't have a problem with Dua Lipa, I totally get she is fresh and relevant, and if she brought Margot Robbie onto stage for Dance the Night, that would be even better!

2 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I was referring to Taylor of course as one of the people. It just beggars belief that she schedules 3 gigs in Dublin over the weekened. I simply do not understand why when she had previously agreed to headline the cancelled festival. 

Because when she agreed to do Glastonbury previously it was in the middle of a scheduled European festival tour, she wasn’t doing Glastonbury as a ‘one off’ or special event, it was just another date on the tour. 

Since then she’s decided to do a stadium tour, that as it turns out happens to be the highest grossing tour in history. It’s not exactly hard to see why Glastonbury doesn’t factor into that…

12 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Except Florence likely wouldve headlined at some point and it happened sooner rather than later. Crazy thing is that with Emily saying its a struggle to find female headliners she has Florence Welch staring her right in the face and wont bother with her anymore which is a shame.

8 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

The other one I was thinking about was P!nk. Although I do appreciate that her stage show would not translate onto the Pyramid very well. 

As for Springsteen, yep he has done it before, Coldplay have done it loads of times, Stevie Wonder has done it before, I don't get this legendary artist argument. We need fresh and new, something we haven't seen before. 

I don't have a problem with Dua Lipa, I totally get she is fresh and relevant, and if she brought Margot Robbie onto stage for Dance the Night, that would be even better!

Circumstances change and Taylor went after the money. I doubt she will even play Glasto now  cause I dont think she will play for next to nothing in comparison to what her nightly gross is. If Coachella balked at giving her $30 million what chance do the Eavii have now. Remember that even with Glasto paying artists with "exposure" , like what extra  exposure is she getting from the festival that she doesnt achieve on her own. I mean she went to the zoo the other day in Australia and the press had a drone following her around. But I mean if they want her bad enough I guess everyone will have to suffer a £100 ticket increase. You gonna be ok with that going forward? Thought not.

27 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Swift is in the middle of a massive stadium tour that was never going to fit on the Pyramid. Pink presumably wants too much cash and same issue with the stage show.

And ‘we’ don’t ‘need fresh and new.’ That’s a ‘you’ thing not a we. There will be thousands and thousands of people who’ve never seen Coldplay or Stevie Wonder anywhere let alone being there when they’ve done Glastonbury in the past. Plus thousands of others like me who have but are still really excited to see them again.

44 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Because Taylor is one of the most financially focussed artists in history - the Margaret Thatcher of pop. She'll make loads more money from her own tour to add to the billion she already has, and can do Glastonbury at some point in the future for the street cred when she's done rinsing her fans by getting them all to buy 72 limited edition vinyls of every release. 

Edited by ProperTea
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

Because Taylor is one of the most financially focussed artists in history - the Margaret Thatcher of pop. She'll make loads more money from her own tour to add to the billion she already has, and can do Glastonbury at some point in the future for the street cred when she's done rinsing her fans by getting them all to buy 72 limited edition vinyls of every release. 

throws up in mouth 

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, charlierc said:

Yeah in retrospect it's not quite the easiest of comparison. My bad.

I'm not sure KoL are as easily comparable to The Killers as a booking though, if only because I think even on the 2017/18 WW Tour, TK were still earning good live reviews and selling out UK arenas, whereas KoL have more of a hit-and-miss live reputation. Still seem to recall their Reading Festival 2018 headline set got a bit of a kicking on here.

No worries! Bang on with The Killers as a comparison, I'd say - if anything, think they've knocking it out of the park in 2019 helped them effectively make the step up to the full stadium circuit, having only done the odd one-off before.

I cannot tell if their choice to do arena residencies this summer reflects either a lack of stadia availability or concerns over saturating the market. But I digress.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Circumstances change and Taylor went after the money. I doubt she will even play Glasto now  cause I dont think she will play for next to nothing in comparison to what her nightly gross is. If Coachella balked at giving her $30 million what chance do the Eavii have now. Remember that even with Glasto paying artists with "exposure" , like what extra  exposure is she getting from the festival that she doesnt achieve on her own. I mean she went to the zoo the other day in Australia and the press had a drone following her around. But I mean if they want her bad enough I guess everyone will have to suffer a £100 ticket increase. You gonna be ok with that going forward? Thought not.

Of course not. If she wants £30m I’ve made peace with her never being at the farm. Let Coachella blow their wad on her. 

Edited by stuie