2024 Headliners

14 minutes ago, wrongturn said:

Is there precedent for acts flying over just to do GF? 

If so, JLO just entered the chat:

https://consequence.net/2024/02/jennifer-lopez-2024-this-is-me-now-the-tour/

I'm not keen personally but Mrs Wrongturn is cockahoop.

Think those dates make it very, very unlikely but I did have her on my list of potentials after the comment about a big US artist being suddenly available as I knew this was coming down the track. Think we're fairly sure it's Stevie now though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I absolutely love them, but I think they'd struggle to headline most of the smaller ones as well - I don't think many people would know that many of their songs. Can't see them going down too well at the likes of Kendal for example. Latitude is a bit of an outlier anyway, and that was the first headline act in the country after the lockdowns were lifted so no way of knowing how it'd have gone down without that additional factor. 

I also though their crowd at the Pyramid in 2022 was a lot smaller than I expected. We walked into the front bit and got quite far forward a few minutes before they came on

Yeah they’ll be regular headliners on the Kendall/YNot/Truck/etc circuit.

Same as Fontaines DC.

Artists that haven't headlined yet but most likely will:

The 1975
Dua (doing this year)
Harry Styles
Olivia Rodrigo

and then The Weeknd and Taylor Swift could but it's a long shot because of how massive they both are.

Artists that probably will on their next album:
Dave
Fred Again.. (would love to see the thread here when that happens)
Sam Fender

Artists that are big enough but won't:

AC/DC (not gonna happen now, obviously)
Drake (would be a weird booking)
Eagles (£££)
Eminem (can't see it)
Iron Maiden (don't wanna do it)
Madonna (seemed like the perfect time this year)
Rihanna (never tours)

4 hours ago, JonSnow said:

Will be interested to see which guitar band ends up being the next in line to follow in the proud footsteps of Foals and Wolf Alice of people incorrectly saying they can see them headlining the Pyramid.

The Last Dinner Party?

Tame Impala?

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I love Wolf Alice but there’s no way on earth they’re ever headlining Glastonbury.

I think their label and tour bookers would be happy just to have a new album in fairness.

Feels like it's harder to get a rock band to stadium/big festival headliner territory now anyway. Swear there's been very few to come through since the early part of the 2010s.

Edited by charlierc

Just now, Kalopsia said:

Tame Impala?

Nah, they’ve peaked at this point. Can only see them returning to sub or headline Other again tbh.

I don’t think there are any current guitar acts who are gonna eventually make the jump up. The 1975 might get booked to do it, but guitar bands just aren’t making the same waves as they used to, and even when they are (TLDP, Wet Leg etc) it’s more of a flavour of the month momentary hype than anything sustainable in the long run imo. Think most of our guitar headliners hence forth will be already established headliners.

6 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

Cheeky question, because I don’t think there is any chance of AC/DC being at Glastonbury, but does anyone know if there is anyway to get AC/DC tickets earlier than the general sale tomorrow morning? 

I've been looking myself but I've found nothing tbh 😒

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think their label and tour bookers would be happy just to have a new album in fairness.

Feels like it's harder to get a rock band to stadium/big festival headliner territory now anyway. Swear there's been very few to come through since the early part of the 2010s.

These things are cyclical, go back a couple of decades and you couldn’t move for floppy haired youngs lads with guitars.

Right now guitar music is out in terms of mainstream appeal but it’ll come back round again.

41 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Nah, they’ve peaked at this point. Can only see them returning to sub or headline Other again tbh.

I don’t think there are any current guitar acts who are gonna eventually make the jump up. The 1975 might get booked to do it, but guitar bands just aren’t making the same waves as they used to, and even when they are (TLDP, Wet Leg etc) it’s more of a flavour of the month momentary hype than anything sustainable in the long run imo. Think most of our guitar headliners hence forth will be already established headliners.

Sorry that's what I was saying, as in Tame Impala are one of the bands to be spoken about but never do it.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

These things are cyclical, go back a couple of decades and you couldn’t move for floppy haired youngs lads with guitars.

Right now guitar music is out in terms of mainstream appeal but it’ll come back round again.

I thought rock might go like jazz at one point and be more something for musos in the know rather than a mainstream thing. Though as noted...

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

still plenty guitar music getting popular and making headliners at other fests- sam fender, catfish, 1975 etc 

it just doesn't chart well like it did in like 2007- who cares though

... there is that nature tbf where there's still guitar-oriented acts getting popular but not quite big-end popular like that glut of bands did in the 2000s.

It is what it is though. If I'm obsessed with a band and willing to see them wherever, doesn't matter to me if they're only club big or playing multiple nights at Wembley.

We've had a phase in the 2010s and so far this decade where we're yet to see someone make that leap, but it is what it is.

Edited by charlierc

3 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Fred again to headline on next album? Didn't realize he was that big and despite all the hype, didn't really see the big fuss about his set last year. Maybe I'm a bit old for that carry on.

I don't see what the fuss is about either 

just a bit meh to me 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, nikkic said:

Foals, Biif Clyro and Wolf Alice would be the level, I reckon

All incredible bands. Don’t see the issue. Since when is it considered a bad thing to want smaller bands that put on an amazing live show to get a chance at headlining the big stage. 

• Upvote 2