2024 Headliners

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

look at the other Friday night acts and macca is not comparable as rock.

Macca the rock star from rock band The Beatles?  That Macca? 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Outside of these forums, how do you think a trio of Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa and Coldplay would go down?

Depends what age group you’re talking to. It’s actually a really big set of headliners in terms of streams, chart positions, popularity etc.

Plus let’s rip the ‘two female headliners’ plaster off and let those who will be upset be upset about it. At the same time those needlessly upset about last years headliners (because they should have bumped up a random Female act and binned one of the stadium sellers they had yadda yadda) can celebrate.

49 minutes ago, sisco said:

So yeah, Friday isn’t always the rock act at all

It's tended to have the rockier act. I used that Idea to get the days right for the headline acts for many years.

There's usually a more rocky act but not always and that has tended to play on the Friday. Macca doesn't really count as a rock act because he's not a two guitars trad rock band.

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Depends what age group you’re talking to. It’s actually a really big set of headliners in terms of streams, chart positions, popularity etc.

Plus let’s rip the ‘two female headliners’ plaster off and let those who will be upset be upset about it. At the same time those needlessly upset about last years headliners (because they should have bumped up a random Female act and binned one of the stadium sellers they had yadda yadda) can celebrate.

People will still show their arses by moaning that Dua Lipa and O-Rod are too similar with too little to differentiate them, when theyre fundamentally very different propositions.

• Like 1

Both would be firmly in my "If nowt else world beating on", then yeah. Like Billie, who was IMMENSE.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People will still show their arses by moaning that Dua Lipa and O-Rod are too similar with too little to differentiate them, when theyre fundamentally very different propositions.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's tended to have the rockier act. I used that Idea to get the days right for the headline acts for many years.

There's usually a more rocky act but not always and that has tended to play on the Friday. Macca doesn't really count as a rock act because he's not a two guitars trad rock band.

Whilst this used to be true for many years, in recent festivals it doesn't seem to be - Beyonce, Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Florence, Macca (who doesn't count apparently) Gorillaz.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

In terms of this year's shooting stars, there's only O-Rod for me. Dave and Sam Fender could be legit options next year and 1975 are a funny one. Will they just miss the boat? Tbf, I'd rather Pale Waves than 1975...

Rodrigo absolutely on the boat, but was going just for the British ones there, sorry!

I... it's weird, because in some regards, The 1975 are the biggest they've ever been, even if record sales don't purely reflect that. I feel your man on the street could name a couple more of their tunes than they might have done, say, three years ago. (Not that we were meant to be on the street three years ago.)

But... I dunno. I think they are big enough, but it's very much whether WF wants them, and the vibes since we rolled back after the pandemic seem to be "nah, we're alright."

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While you’re right, I think the history of always having a ‘proper band’ up top is deeply entrenched and it’ll take time and many more Kendricks and Billies to shake off.

The whole 70s counter-culture Neil Young Jefferson Airplane vibe that the fest still plays off is a bit of a double edged sword here. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Whilst this used to be true for many years, in recent festivals it doesn't seem to be - Beyonce, Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Florence, Macca (who doesn't count apparently) Gorillaz.

that'll be because .....

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

usually a more rocky act but not always

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Rodrigo absolutely on the boat, but was going just for the British ones there, sorry!

I... it's weird, because in some regards, The 1975 are the biggest they've ever been, even if record sales don't purely reflect that. I feel your man on the street could name a couple more of their tunes than they might have done, say, three years ago. (Not that we were meant to be on the street three years ago.)

But... I dunno. I think they are big enough, but it's very much whether WF wants them, and the vibes since we rolled back after the pandemic seem to be "nah, we're alright."

I maintain that 2021 was their time to headline and, regardless of it being out of their hands, it passed and they missed it. Of course they could still get the gig at a later date if they maintain their popularity, but it’s not as sure of a thing as it was a few years ago, which feels weird to say considering they’re one of the latest huge acts to come out of the U.K. so it should be an easy slam dunk booking. 

Edited by FloopFiller

1 minute ago, Neil said:

that'll be because .....

usually a more rocky act but not always

I'm saying that there seems to have been a shift from that in the recent years. 

because it's not been the usual since 2010.

5 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

While you’re right, I think the history of always having a ‘proper band’ up top is deeply entrenched and it’ll take time and many more Kendricks and Billies to shake off.

The whole 70s counter-culture Neil Young Jefferson Airplane vibe that the fest still plays off is a bit of a double edged sword here. 

You're not wrong, but you can roast those people by pointing out that Coldplay will tick all their boxes.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I'm saying that there seems to have been a shift from that in the recent years. 

the shift is due to who they've booked, if they've booked macca they're f**ked foe a rockier act.

o - rod as friday headliner works. superb opening to the festival. i think if dua is saturday then to balance it out you kinda need a elton / macca style act on the sunday. Madonna / Stevie Wonder makes sense.

18 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I maintain that 2021 was their time to headline and, regardless of it being out of their hands, it passed and they missed it. Of course they could still get the gig at a later date if they maintain their popularity, but it’s not as sure of a thing as it was a few years ago, which feels weird to say considering they’re one of the latest huge acts to come out of the U.K. so it should be an easy slam dunk booking. 

Absolutely my sentiment, and maintain it was likely they may well have been lined up for a provisional 2021 alongside Elton John. Healy very much the draw and the drawback for many though, including the bookers.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Absence of Madonna aside, my issue with O-Rod stepping up is I'm seeing her the month beforehand.

Allows you to see something else, surely?

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

o - rod as friday headliner works. superb opening to the festival. i think if dua is saturday then to balance it out you kinda need a elton / macca style act on the sunday. Madonna / Stevie Wonder makes sense.

Thing is, it would be Coldplay on the Sunday.