2024 Headliners

On 12/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, glimmers_of_hope said:

Admittedly the show was different but U2 played glasto in the middle of a tour and their show is very linked to the set design.  

I still think that's part of why U2's Glastonbury set was seen by some as a damp squib. Sure, it didn't help that it was pissing it down and that the band's in-ear monitors were faulty so they were all coming in on the wrong cues on the first song, but why on Earth would you schedule Baltimore Wednesday -> Glastonbury Friday -> Detroit Sunday? Just seems like a guaranteed burnout.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I still think that's part of why U2's Glastonbury set was seen by some as a damp squib. Sure, it didn't help that it was pissing it down and that the band's in-ear monitors were faulty so they were all coming in on the wrong cues on the first song, but why on Earth would you schedule Baltimore Wednesday -> Glastonbury Friday -> Detroit Sunday? Just seems like a guaranteed burnout.

It was a weird decision. Especially as they were completely deviating from their tour setlist IIRC

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

It was a weird decision. Especially as they were completely deviating from their tour setlist IIRC

Well we say that, nearly everything that was played at Glastonbury made the following show set in America - no Bad or Out of Control, a different order and a few more songs, but they'd played everything they did there. Main change was the stage design ofc - more of a Zoo TV-style collection of screens than the OTT claw thing.

But yeah. At least give yourselves a few days to acclimatise to being back on European time ffs.

Although I wasn’t there so I’m basing this purely off the BBC footage, I still think U2 would’ve gone down incredibly well if it hadn’t been pissing it down for the entire set. The final two songs being kind of weird and inclusion of Get On Your Boots aside, the setlist was about as good as you could hope from them for a festival and I feel like, rain removed, most of the problems would’ve gone away or at least not been amplified so much. Real shame that what will undoubtedly prove to be a one and done got ruined so much, especially given how glorious the weather was when they were originally supposed to play the year before.

3 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Although I wasn’t there so I’m basing this purely off the BBC footage, I still think U2 would’ve gone down incredibly well if it hadn’t been pissing it down for the entire set. The final two songs being kind of weird and inclusion of Get On Your Boots aside, the setlist was about as good as you could hope from them for a festival and I feel like, rain removed, most of the problems would’ve gone away or at least not been amplified so much. Real shame that what will undoubtedly prove to be a one and done got ruined so much, especially given how glorious the weather was when they were originally supposed to play the year before.

Trying to think who could have triumphed in those conditions... honestly I don't think any of the celebrated appearances would have been capable. It was a mess.

2 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Not saying that the festival is becoming for the younger crowd but the popularity has grown massively in the last few years, especially in the 18-30 category who attend. Me being one of them couldn’t care less for Madonna as I’m sure most my age group don’t either 

Not every pyramid headliner will suit your tastes, or your age groups taste… but some will. But this is a festival that has headliner size acts on several stages so there’s always something for you. 

10 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Not saying that the festival is becoming for the younger crowd but the popularity has grown massively in the last few years, especially in the 18-30 category who attend. Me being one of them couldn’t care less for Madonna as I’m sure most my age group don’t either 

The number of young people watching, and loving, Elton I think puts this argument to bed.

At discos/parties/pubs when Madonna is played it gets the whole room going, young and old.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

The ethos of the festival is the diverse choice of music styles on offer. So many stages , so many choices. They can’t just aim to appeal to one age group or musical style. It isn’t download.  The festival in the main does a good job in spreading over 200k people of all ages around the site by offering these choices.  If Madonna does appear I reckon there will be a huge amount of under 30s on the field, just like Elton. 

Just now, Justcalledtosay said:

Doja will headline Other as she was due to recently (imo)

I thought she was going to be Pyramid sub? She is definitely the option they will be looking at for a high spot though. I am starting to have doubt with The Prodigy playing this time as with Doja and I think The Chems, it's not likely to also be The Prodigy. I think Chems will be Sunday too.

6 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The number of young people watching, and loving, Elton I think puts this argument to bed.

At discos/parties/pubs when Madonna is played it gets the whole room going, young and old.

I love Elton and was there myself so I understand completely. I just don’t think Madonna has that same appeal but maybe that is just me. 

4 hours ago, northernangel said:

I thought she was going to be Pyramid sub? She is definitely the option they will be looking at for a high spot though. I am starting to have doubt with The Prodigy playing this time as with Doja and I think The Chems, it's not likely to also be The Prodigy. I think Chems will be Sunday too.

I thought so too, I thought Sam Fender was moved up to replace her??? 

Is that not the case?

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well we say that, nearly everything that was played at Glastonbury made the following show set in America - no Bad or Out of Control, a different order and a few more songs, but they'd played everything they did there. Main change was the stage design ofc - more of a Zoo TV-style collection of screens than the OTT claw thing.

But yeah. At least give yourselves a few days to acclimatise to being back on European time ffs.

Ah so they tried to integrate it a bit. But yeah, crazy. I’d have thought they’d have known better.

45 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I thought so too, I thought Sam Fender was moved up to replace her??? 

Is that not the case?

36 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah she was gonna sub Billie Eilish.

Yes. I think Doja, Pulp, Olivia, The Chems, The National and The Prodigy could make up the subs and Other. I'd have The National against Coldplay myself as I have interest in one only.