2024 Headliners

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He'll do the Legends Slot at some point in the next five years. I'd hang my hat on it 

watched his netflix doc recently, I acknowledge its his doc and his point of view so bias aside, but it did make me go back to his music. His first few albums are so good. that setlist would be banger after banger in a 60 min slot

14 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Could he potentially sub? Or is he now Legends slot or bust as surely not a headliner in this day. 

in terms of people in the field he's pyramid headliner size, but don't think the festival would go in that direction to book him.

I don't think many headliners would be too pleased to have him subbing.

Think there are a few names they'd like in the legends slot before moving onto him.

Someone who doesnt quite fit the bill imo

I think we may have been too hasty in ruling Bruce out. It’s not that far to travel from playing the Netherlands on the Saturday to playing Glasto on the Sunday and then he has a break before the next show on the Tuesday.

He doesn’t look to be doing back to back shows on this tour, but having appeared with Macca last year he likely ‘gets’ Glasto and may make an exception for it.

Could fit the definition of a “big American artist that recently became available.” As well.

If Madge is announced shortly for BST I could see Glasto being close to a lock for her as well. But until we see festivals/open air venues planned for her tour I think Bruce is a strong contender.

4 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I think we may have been too hasty in ruling Bruce out. It’s not that far to travel from playing the Netherlands on the Saturday to playing Glasto on the Sunday and then he has a break before the next show on the Tuesday.

He doesn’t look to be doing back to back shows on this tour, but having appeared with Macca last year he likely ‘gets’ Glasto and may make an exception for it.

Could fit the definition of a “big American artist that recently became available.” As well.

If Madge is announced shortly for BST I could see Glasto being close to a lock for her as well. But until we see festivals/open air venues planned for her tour I think Bruce is a strong contender.

Didn't sound likely at this point

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67207702

51 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Yes, it's possible that he'd feel strongly enough about playing Glastonbury that he'd make an exception to the "no consecutive nights" pattern, but I think we've got enough evidence to say this hasn't happened.

There's 4 days off between Barcelona on the 22nd and the first Nijmegen show. So if he really wanted play Glastonbury then he could easily do so without significantly disrupting the schedule or playing consecutive nights - just move each of the Nijmegen shows one (or even two) days earlier, and job done.

Even if earlier dates weren't viable due to stadium availability, and so consecutive nights really were necessary to fit Glastonbury in, it'd still make more sense to play those consecutive nights in the same venue (on the Thu+Fri) - that way it removes the need to travel on a show day.

Remember that the European tour was announced a week after Emily talked about the phone call, and the second Nijmegen show was announced another week after that, so there was time to make any desired tweaks to the schedule before things were announced / went on sale.

Basically, it's not that he technically couldn't play Glastonbury. But given the way things have been scheduled and the timelines involved, I think we can safely say that the tour dates would look (very slightly) different if he was intending to.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes, it's possible that he'd feel strongly enough about playing Glastonbury that he'd make an exception to the "no consecutive nights" pattern, but I think we've got enough evidence to say this hasn't happened.

There's 4 days off between Barcelona on the 22nd and the first Nijmegen show. So if he really wanted play Glastonbury then he could easily do so without significantly disrupting the schedule or playing consecutive nights - just move each of the Nijmegen shows one (or even two) days earlier, and job done.

Even if earlier dates weren't viable due to stadium availability, and so consecutive nights really were necessary to fit Glastonbury in, it'd still make more sense to play those consecutive nights in the same venue (on the Thu+Fri) - that way it removes the need to travel on a show day.

Remember that the European tour was announced a week after Emily talked about the phone call, and the second Nijmegen show was announced another week after that, so there was time to make any desired tweaks to the schedule before things were announced / went on sale.

Basically, it's not that he technically couldn't play Glastonbury. But given the way things have been scheduled and the timelines involved, I think we can safely say that the tour dates would look (very slightly) different if he was intending to.

Excellent analysis thanks, it’s what I come here for!

I would assume though that due to availability, stadium dates would likely be booked up well in advance. I think it’s conceivable that all those shows could have been contracted before Bruce expressed an interest in Glastonbury/“became available”?

14 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Bruce isn’t playing. Let it go

I don’t need to let it go as I’m not personally attached to the idea.

But based on the information available, my point is that there is more to suggest Bruce could do it than Madge. The later is currently scheduled to be on the other side of the Atlantic when her tour ends and hasn’t booked a single festival date.

Until that changes and we have new info I don’t think we can embrace Madge as a given and so quickly rule Bruce out.

Someone posted a Guardian article on here this week about how festivals are struggling more and more to find headliners. One point it made was that bands can’t hop from another Euro country to here for consecutive dates anymore because Brexit checks could hold them or their gear up and they wouldn’t have time to fix the issue before being due to go on stage.

Although Bruce’s pattern pretty much ruled him out already, even if he was keen to break it they might not want to take the risk. 

5 hours ago, august1 said:

in terms of people in the field he's pyramid headliner size, but don't think the festival would go in that direction to book him.

I don't think many headliners would be too pleased to have him subbing.

Think there are a few names they'd like in the legends slot before moving onto him.

Someone who doesnt quite fit the bill imo

He's said he wants to do the Legend Slot.  There's no reason for the festival to not go along with that.

3 hours ago, Mark H said:

I don’t need to let it go as I’m not personally attached to the idea.

But based on the information available, my point is that there is more to suggest Bruce could do it than Madge. The later is currently scheduled to be on the other side of the Atlantic when her tour ends and hasn’t booked a single festival date.

Until that changes and we have new info I don’t think we can embrace Madge as a given and so quickly rule Bruce out.

No, based on the information available Bruce can be ruled out.

19 hours ago, AndyL16 said:

watched his netflix doc recently, I acknowledge its his doc and his point of view so bias aside, but it did make me go back to his music. His first few albums are so good. that setlist would be banger after banger in a 60 min slot

The documentary was a real let down. Just him sat in his pants moaning about how sh*t his life is.

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The documentary was a real let down. Just him sat in his pants moaning about how sh*t his life is.

Was a shame the moved on so quickly from Take That. All that footage they had access to - all the stuff from every kids show in the early 90s. You couldn't move for their appearances. Really nice to see it again. I only managed one episode of the Robbie doc, but mostly due to other things going on. I will return. The stuff with Nicole Appleton was good/sad.

The best thing about Robbie, and in fact the best music book I've ever read is 'Feel'.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

100%. Difficult for the documentary to be objective when the main protagonist is also executive director

Yeah I've struggled to embrace this trend of docs for this exact reason. One exception I'll allow is the Michael J Fox movie STILL on AppleTV+ as it was just fascinating to learn how he adapted his acting to hide his Parkinson's and keep it secret for years.

When it's just someone telling their version of events with no objective perspective, I eventually run out of pinches of salt to take.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

😄 that makes it a bit more appealing, as i think he's a smug twat who deserves some kind of comeuppance 

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:11 AM, MichaelsBeard said:

image.thumb.png.39ec663785811be3158f8652ca5c6b27.png

Could he potentially sub? Or is he now Legends slot or bust as surely not a headliner in this day. 

I was really hoping Robbie would be at Glasto 24, but i bought tickets to this too last night, so now i don't want him to be at Glasto! 🙂

39 minutes ago, nicksinc said:

I was really hoping Robbie would be at Glasto 24, but i bought tickets to this too last night, so now i don't want him to be at Glasto! 🙂

I think you'll be alright. 

If you want to see him tickets to his gig is the safe bet. It is really unlikely he will show up this year.