2024 Headliners

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No dates between 27th June and Werchter commencing on 2nd July?

I know it's a short trip across the water, but if he was in the UK during that timeframe, I'd be inclined to think there's more of a chance. I also wonder if there's a great appetite for a return within GFL? Feels like a one-time only deal, that added to the festival's legendary headliner portfolio, even if it didn't exactly set the place on fire

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I know it's a short trip across the water, but if he was in the UK during that timeframe, I'd be inclined to think there's more of a chance. I also wonder if there's a great appetite for a return within GFL? Feels like a one-time only deal, that added to the festival's legendary headliner portfolio, even if it didn't exactly set the place on fire

Touring maybe his worst ever album. And hadn't a clue about the festival at the time. 

Theres unfinished business there.

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The fact that he popped up with Macca *was* more to do with it being for Macca rather than a favour to the Eavii, but it still puts him and the festival in communication with one another just last year.

Then the big American act coming available also rings true given the timing.

He's played other festivals many times e.g. BST, so doing a return wouldn't be a blocker on his part.

5 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

Obviously if you cut Bruce he bleeds red, white, and blue, but what's the story here? Did he just accept some gig in England without knowing what Glasto is?

Seems so yeah. Just thought it was some random festival which his agents turned down but then they had to put together a dossier for him to sell Glasto to Bruce HQ. 

He just did his normal touring show.

8 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

Obviously if you cut Bruce he bleeds red, white, and blue, but what's the story here? Did he just accept some gig in England without knowing what Glasto is?

He did “get” Glastonbury, in fact there was a Joe Strummer link, a handwritten letter, etc., etc. and he opened with Coma Girl. That album was not a classic, but I am glad I saw Outlaw Pete live, even if nobody else is!!

For me that set is right up there in my top 5 G sets out of 16 festivals attended since 1987, but I accept there are a range of POV.

I'm a long-time Bruce lover, but I don't recall the 2009 set from the box (at a tender age, I was not there to savour it either.)

I look back down the list and think there's plenty of hits in there - Born to RunThunder RoadBadlandsThe RiverDancing in the Dark and Glory Days are all on his Greatest Hits record, and then you've got The Promised LandThe RisingBecause the Night...

But that first hour is hard for neutrals or agnostics. A bit like Radiohead in 2017. The hits are there, but you had to wait for them.

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'm a long-time Bruce lover, but I don't recall the 2009 set from the box (at a tender age, I was not there to savour it either.)

I look back down the list and think there's plenty of hits in there - Born to RunThunder RoadBadlandsThe RiverDancing in the Dark and Glory Days are all on his Greatest Hits record, and then you've got The Promised LandThe RisingBecause the Night...

But that first hour is hard for neutrals or agnostics. A bit like Radiohead in 2017. The hits are there, but you had to wait for them.

I wasn't there but watched it at home with a few cans and thought it was great - but heard enough folk moaning about it over the years to understand that the vibe in the field wasn't all that.

• Upvote 1

The lack of other UK "regional" shows (v surprised to not see Anfield on the tour) from Boss HQ lends weight to an appearance at the G next June.

Couple that with the obvious mess he made of 2009 and the positive "re-acquaintance" in 2021... i reckon he could well be the Sat night headliner.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

If he is doing Glasto that's an odd schedule - playing Netherlands, lugging all the band, crew and gear over here and then back to Belgium, which is next next door to Netherlands

Yep I think people are ignoring this, along with the fact that Glastonbury would be an outlier in terms of how he’s paced the rest of the tour.