2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Why ask then if they’re not high enough to get a spot?

Because enough of the names higher than them are unavailable for whatever reason? Rare is a year when an Elton/Stones-level icon is able to be ticked off so they turn to others slightly further down instead. In the same way The 1975 are in the frame but wouldn’t be booked if Madonna, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé were all available at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think Madonna is an absolute pipe dream. Really can’t see that happening. We know that she’s asked for a stupid fee before and wouldn’t come off that ledge. 

things change .... can look at Macca and Elton last few years and think this is a decent way to bow out ... its not like she's struggling for cash . 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Madonna is an absolute pipe dream. Really can’t see that happening. We know that she’s asked for a stupid fee before and wouldn’t come off that ledge. 

Things change.

I wouldn't had Madonna doing a greatest hits show as she has always been about the new, but I have tickets for it.

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

things change .... can look at Macca and Elton last few years and think this is a decent way to bow out ... its not like she's struggling for cash . 

No I totally get that things can change I just think people are throwing her name out like all Glasto have to do is ring her up and ask. I would think that booking Madonna is a multi year scale operation (like the stones, McCartney, whatever). 

Just now, Matt42 said:

No I totally get that things can change I just think people are throwing her name out like all Glasto have to do is ring her up and ask. I would think that booking Madonna is a multi year scale operation (like the stones, McCartney, whatever). 

Yes - but the multi-year operation has alreasy been happening over multiple years.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yes - but the multi-year operation has alreasy been happening over multiple years.

It sounds like Glasto’s recent multi-year operations have been Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and possibly Elton. We know this.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

We also know they've been after Madonna for years. They don't just pursue one act at a time.

Err when it comes to trying to lock in one of the biggest acts of all time they have to devote a significant amount of time and resource. I highly doubt if they’ve been working hard on Taylor to get to Glastonbury they’ve also been working on Madonna on the side. Can’t see a reality where they would have both in the same year. From a pure resource point of view it makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Err when it comes to trying to lock in one of the biggest acts of all time they have to devote a significant amount of time and resource. I highly doubt if they’ve been working hard on Taylor to get to Glastonbury they’ve also been working on Madonna on the side. Can’t see a reality where they would have both in the same year. From a pure resource point of view it makes no sense.

They can do more than one thing at time. They'll always have multiple irons in the fire.

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The new element in the mix is Madge doing Greatest Hits shows. Up until this year that was looking very unlikely.

She’ll also look at Reg this Summer and the adulation he’ll receive and think “I fancy a bit of that”.

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I sincerely doubt they just pursue one giant act at a time. They’ll be in talks with as many of their big wish list as possible, and most years they’ll probably come up short on all of them, but then every couple of years they’ll hear back from one saying ‘let’s talk’. Madonna has clearly been something they’ve pursued in the past and what better time for it to happen for both parties than when she’s finally giving the people what they want with her greatest hits tour. I don’t think Emily’s dumb enough to just hope for Taylor every year and brush off the other big hitters until that eventually/hopefully happens. 

44 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Wasn’t there something about the Foo Fighters doing it next year?

Nah, info that they were possibly in the area during this years festival (although I think it looks very unlikely looking at their tour dates) and the presumption that it might lead in to them headlining next year, although I don’t personally see them coming back just yet. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Festivals like Glastonbury don't book huge acts year after year by talking to them in a linear fashion, going onto the next one after the first one says no. There will be multiple lines of dialogue open with all kinds of acts at any point in time, spanning multiple festivals 2-3 years into the future. Schedules and tours for the biggies are planned ages in advance, and festivals will always play second fiddle to tours, so of course there will be lots of discussions happening with lots of people at once.

I reckon Taylor has first refusal every year she’s touring now - and if she leaves it on the table / doesn’t materialise they will then have to look at second options.

I agree, I think if Taylor wants it all her people has to do is say so, and she headlines. However...

Strongly think that from now on one headliner is a “Taylor backup”. Whether they realise it or not.

Disagree. Taylor's tour will stretch deep into 2024 and beyond, and the rough schedule will already be known. Her team will have been able to let the festival know categorically whether she can (or wants to) play next year. Perhaps 2025 is more unknown but from what Emily said, there seems to be nothing booked, and in the same conversation she was pretty categorical about two of the headliners next year, distinguishing them by sex.

So I think it's reasonable to conclude that Taylor isn't playing next year, so anyone who is are doing so on their own merits, not just because Taylor isn't booked (as was the case with Billie Eilish, and with GnR).

A couple of my mates are Madonna obsessives and was talking to them in the pub just there.  They reckon it's not impossible.  Apparently there's been a move back to her being signed by Warner Brothers which is what's been behind the reissues of her classic albums and the general retro focus for the first time in her career.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Think they are the type of act who could definitely be in play if they lose one of their first options. 

Oh yeah definitely 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah, info that they were possibly in the area during this years festival (although I think it looks very unlikely looking at their tour dates) and the presumption that it might lead in to them headlining next year, although I don’t personally see them coming back just yet. 

Gotcha, cheers