Download 2024

FeverDream

35 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Busted at Download is something I thought I’d never see but I’m very down for it - this years lineup is the first signs of Download moving in a direction it desperately needed to move in to survive. Whether they’ll continue this progress after this year or whether the Download audience in general will be in to it/it’ll sell well remains to be seen, but that’s one of the freshest Download lineups I’ve seen in a while and they’ve only had to change up a few acts. 

They are moving on by chasing the pop-punk and modern metalcore crowd. Metal crowd will be smaller this year, I'm not the only one staying home. Download's choice of course but if they continue with this path they shouldn't be shocked if another fest launches Sonisphere style to cater to crowd they are moving away from. 

16 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

They are moving on by chasing the pop-punk and modern metalcore crowd. Metal crowd will be smaller this year, I'm not the only one staying home. Download's choice of course but if they continue with this path they shouldn't be shocked if another fest launches Sonisphere style to cater to crowd they are moving away from. 

Black Stone Cherry, Mr Bungle, The Struts, Those Damn Crows, Biohazard, The Offspring, Enter Shikari, Babymetal, Pantera, While She Sleeps, Tom Morello, Fear Factory, Asinhell, Dying Fetus, Avenged Sevenfold, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Corey Taylor, The Black Dahlia Murder. I’d chuck QOTSA in there too. 

Those are all bands who would appeal to your more ‘traditional’ Download audience and loads who have played the fest before in the past. 

Yeah this is the type of line up that Download should have been going for a while now. I really like it, have it booked off work so going to try and get a cheaper ticket on resale the week of if I can.

Anyone know what camping space is like on the Thursday afternoon? Plan would be to see Gel in Manchester on the Weds then go down the day after that's all.

Edited by justanothername

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Black Stone Cherry, Mr Bungle, The Struts, Those Damn Crows, Biohazard, The Offspring, Enter Shikari, Babymetal, Pantera, While She Sleeps, Tom Morello, Fear Factory, Asinhell, Dying Fetus, Avenged Sevenfold, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Corey Taylor, The Black Dahlia Murder. I’d chuck QOTSA in there too. 

Those are all bands who would appeal to your more ‘traditional’ Download audience and loads who have played the fest before in the past. 

I mean only half of that list are actually bands that appeal to the traditional metal crowd. I get it, you and lots of others like it, doesn't mean I or others have to. 

• Upvote 1

As a old fart, this will be the first Download I miss. I am sure I could find enough bands over the weekend to not be bored but the price of it doesn't make it attractive. Plus the fact  5 of the bands I would want to see are in the tiny uphill back breaking tent puts me off. That tent is far too small for the likes of Biohazard and Fear Factory. 

Beginning of the end for Download I think, but nothing lasts forever. Bloodstock will probably take the old farts, Download will become a 'new' festival more like T in the Park or more likely 3 different days of 3 big headliners doing their own shows like BST in Hyde Park. No need for camping, no need for 1000's of cars gridlocking the area and a hell of a lot more money in the promoters pockets for 200quid tickets per day.

Is it easy to get into Leicester or Nottingham via bus when the music ends?

I’m going to book up a hotel for the Friday night, and although I intend to drive, feel I should go for somewhere I can get to by bus just in case. Leicester and Nottingham are, understandably I guess, cheaper than Derby from what I can see.

Friday: Might go see Those Damn Crows, The Struts and Dream State but would definitely be in for Black Stone Cherry > Wheatus > Bad Omens > QOTSA

Saturday: Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes > Babymetal > Enter Shikari > Tom Morello > The Offspring (maybe some While She Sleeps) > Billy Talent > Fall Out Boy

Sunday: Pinkshift > Code Orange > Bowling For Soup > Sum 41/Electric Callboy > Hoobastank > Limp Bizkit > The Used > Avenged Sevenfold

Plenty of time to find more bands and change stuff up too, plenty there for me now

Edited by LazyDavid

7 minutes ago, LMP said:

I’m going to book up a hotel for the Friday night, and although I intend to drive, feel I should go for somewhere I can get to by bus just in case. Leicester and Nottingham are, understandably I guess, cheaper than Derby from what I can see.

It depends what you class as expensive. Stayed in Nottingham once and though it was cheaper, the hassle getting back wasn't worth it (but like anywhere with big crowds, one minute can make the difference between an easy and quick journey or a 3 hour traffic jam)

All the other times always stayed in Derby, last year was about 130 a night which to me is alright as the festival is my summer holiday.

Horses for courses really, but loads more buses go back to Derby than Nottingham and Leicester which also depends on if you plan to stay until the end.

So not much help really.

Busted are SUCH a coup. Insane that a band playing a tour like this are on the third stage 

September 2 – Plymouth, Pavilions
September 3 – Cardiff, International Arena
September 5 – Swansea, Swansea Arena 
September 6 – Bournemouth, International Centre
September 7 – Brighton, Brighton Centre
September 9 – Birmingham, Utilita Arena
September 10 – London, O2 Arena
September 12 – Bridlington, Bridlington Spa
September 15 – Nottingham, Motorpoint Arena
September 16 – Newcastle, Utilita Arena
September 17 – Leeds, First Direct Arena 
September 19 – Aberdeen, P&J Live 
September 20 – Glasgow, OVO Hydro
September 23 – Liverpool, M&S Bank Arena 
September 24 – Manchester, AO Arena

Edited by Beese Churger

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I agree with you but I feel Download had to take this stance. People gave complained so long about the repetiveness of Download so it can't be both ways. The difference is though, once they've booked all those different bands once they've done it.

1 hour ago, justanothername said:

Yeah this is the type of line up that Download should have been going for a while now. I really like it, have it booked off work so going to try and get a cheaper ticket on resale the week of if I can.

Anyone know what camping space is like on the Thursday afternoon? Plan would be to see Gel in Manchester on the Weds then go down the day after that's all.

I agree. If they open their exclusive headliner pool then it could be good.

2 hours ago, chazwwe said:

Tent will be full. 

Well certainly I didn't think they'd be playing for just 20 people.

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

They’ll draw a massive crowd I’m sure of it. Guessing this years lineup will draw a lot of non-metalhead/more pop/punk types and they’ll be all over it. 

That part, I was less aware of. But perhaps.

Though maybe this is also a sign of the reaction...

Hotel in Derby booked. Not every day you get to see QOTSA headline Download, I’m sure it’ll be worth it!

Though judging from what I’ve seen elsewhere, I might be the only one in the field watching them. Lots of people going to Busted instead 😐

52 minutes ago, LMP said:

Hotel in Derby booked. Not every day you get to see QOTSA headline Download, I’m sure it’ll be worth it!

Though judging from what I’ve seen elsewhere, I might be the only one in the field watching them. Lots of people going to Busted instead 😐

They probably won't clash. Download normally finishes the rest of the bands before the main stage headliners these days. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Download really are twats for booking white supremacist Phil with Pantera. And racist scum Slaughter to Prevail

I'm certainly disappointed both got booked. It's partly why I'm so annoyed at Download this year, those are 2 of the bands being presented as 'appeasing the metal crowd' and they are obvs both problematic. Gutted I'll miss Machine Head though. 

Yeah, im not watching Phil Anselmo. Didnt know anything specific about Slaughter To Prevail, but i've read a couple of pieces now about him rowing back on his right wing/nazi past - Russia has a weird underbelly of racism and nazism, a pal of mine lived over there for a couple of years and had some terrifying tales to tell of the football scene and attendant massive pricks. 

21 hours ago, Beese Churger said:

Busted are SUCH a coup. Insane that a band playing a tour like this are on the third stage 

Think they ended up playing multiple dates in places, did like 4 nights at the o2 

22 hours ago, Beese Churger said:

Are they though?, they are playing the least Busted festival out there. If they even thought that this was a huge deal themselves they wouldn't accept that slot.

5 hours ago, northernangel said:

Are they though?, they are playing the least Busted festival out there. If they even thought that this was a huge deal themselves they wouldn't accept that slot.

They accepted or asked for the slot because they wanted to play the festival. Just because they play poppy pop-punk doesn't mean that they don't like heavy music (see Fightstar). I bet they were stoked when asked (or even asked to play themselves) and were like, 'f**k yeah we want to play', because they never thought they would get to play the festival as Busted. Having a band that did over 250k tickets last year headline third stage at Download is a major coup however you look at it.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:58 PM, LMP said:

Stayed in Notthingham last year, you can get the bus back but will be a long wait if you leave when everyone else does. 

9 hours ago, RedJosh said:

They accepted or asked for the slot because they wanted to play the festival. Just because they play poppy pop-punk doesn't mean that they don't like heavy music (see Fightstar). I bet they were stoked when asked (or even asked to play themselves) and were like, 'f**k yeah we want to play', because they never thought they would get to play the festival as Busted. Having a band that did over 250k tickets last year headline third stage at Download is a major coup however you look at it.

I saw them the year they did the secret set at Slam Dunk.  Went in sceptical, but they went down a storm.  I know SD is more pop punk friendly than DL, but it's hardly hostile.  I reckon they'll be a triumph at Download as well - a lot of pop punk singalong anthems to close the day.  There's no pretentiousness about Busted, they went out and had a good time - the crowd will feed off that.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:59 PM, zahidf said:

Download really are twats for booking white supremacist Phil with Pantera. And racist scum Slaughter to Prevail.

Odd that Tom Morello doesn't seem to have a problem performing between them because surely he will be faced with thousands of racist people who won't take kindly to him been there. Or you are just jumping on a bandwagon.