Rock Slot 2023

Gnomicide

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Deep Purple done it ever? Saw them last night (took my dad for his birthday) and they do have a few good tunes. Sounded pretty good too, albeit not really a fan.

Blue Oyster Cult supported and Reaper sounded ace. Needed more cowbell, though.

Decent shout IMO

Re "Don't Fear The Reaper"

Check this out:

On 10/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, wro_lap said:

I believe Justin Hawkins said on his YouTube channel that The Darkness were offered a headline slot in around 03-05 and turned it down. I can't for the life of me remember why. Would be a fun Pyramid opener though

i wouldn't bother walking down the hill to see them these days... but i have to say that friday in 2003 was one of my best days EVER at Glastonbury...

The Darkness > Inspirals > Bunnymen then back to the pyramid later for Suede > David Gray > REM

absolutely freaking brilliant.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:17 PM, Sorcha17 said:

Judas Priest are around at that time are they not? Touring with Ozzy in June

i can see sharon zooming in on glasto to get ozzy a slot somewhen before ozzy stops performing.

Whitesnake are retiring, I believe? (Retirement a loose word.)

They are of course an effectively glorified tribute band - hence why they changed their name to play new tunes - but get Black Star Riders in somewhere to play a set of Thin Lizzy material, and enough beery-sated folks will have a bop.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Whitesnake are retiring, I believe? (Retirement a loose word.)

They are of course an effectively glorified tribute band - hence why they changed their name to play new tunes - but get Black Star Riders in somewhere to play a set of Thin Lizzy material, and enough beery-sated folks will have a bop.

whitesnake is coverdale and whoever he can get to play with him.

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I've still got it, not been warn for 35+ years but still. I'm not throwing it out, that embroidery took me ages 😁

Screenshot_20210630-225011_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.bca6206591484bbd6423319b94c9aaf1.jpg

That's amazing. I made mine a few years ago, although these are the only photos I can find

20221021_114710.thumb.jpg.72845da6837020d08f01d448365aee41.jpgIMG_20221021_115155_711.thumb.jpg.a5b10a2bd9615432ce7ce104a8a6a70a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alter bridge singer Myles Kennedy did slash solo stuff, and can still sing, get slash back, not GnR.

Last time I saw GnR they weren't a few hours late, they were days late,cancelled gig on the day and rescheduled for few days later,Maine Road

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Alter Bridge. I mean, not sure if they exactly have the catalogue to pull casuals in, but as an arena act, likely fit the size.

14 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Alter Bridge. I mean, not sure if they exactly have the catalogue to pull casuals in, but as an arena act, likely fit the size.

Big arena act with huge heavy rock anthems and one of my favourite live bands. Zero crossover sadly so cant see them performing there anytime soon. Download headliners in waiting, and have been for quite a while now. Think next year may well be their year to make that step up. But i've been saying that for the last 3 albums!

11 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Big arena act with huge heavy rock anthems and one of my favourite live bands. Zero crossover sadly so cant see them performing there anytime soon. Download headliners in waiting, and have been for quite a while now. Think next year may well be their year to make that step up. But i've been saying that for the last 3 albums!

Alter Bridge, I fear, will not get their chance until one of Iron Maiden or Metallica call it a day.

What frustrates me about Glasto (and is my only real gripe with it) is that classic rock & metal is woefully under represented on the lineups. I know there's the argument that there are plenty of other festivals that cater to that, Download in particular, but the evidence is there that these bands, on the rare occasion they play at Glasto, draw big crowds and go down a storm. There seems to be a misguided belief that fans of Classic Rock and Metal will only listen to that type of music and therefore wouldn't be interested in Glasto. My social circle are all huge fans of Classic Rock and Hard Rock but we listen to so much other stuff such as Indie, Dance, Funk, Soul, indie-folk, Disco, Pop, etc. and for those of us who go to Glasto every year it's our favourite place in the world. But, we've all said it seems to be the one thing missing beyond a token gesture here and there, especially when almost every single other genre of music has a platform at the festival. 

Anyway, now that Def Leppard are out of the equation, Heart headlining the acoustic tent with an orchestra will do me! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

What frustrates me about Glasto (and is my only real gripe with it) is that classic rock & metal is woefully under represented on the lineups. I know there's the argument that there are plenty of other festivals that cater to that, Download in particular, but the evidence is there that these bands, on the rare occasion they play at Glasto, draw big crowds and go down a storm. There seems to be a misguided belief that fans of Classic Rock and Metal will only listen to that type of music and therefore wouldn't be interested in Glasto. My social circle are all huge fans of Classic Rock and Hard Rock but we listen to so much other stuff such as Indie, Dance, Funk, Soul, indie-folk, Disco, Pop, etc. and for those of us who go to Glasto every year it's our favourite place in the world. But, we've all said it seems to be the one thing missing beyond a token gesture here and there, especially when almost every single other genre of music has a platform at the festival. 

Anyway, now that Def Leppard are out of the equation, Heart headlining the acoustic tent with an orchestra will do me! 

Agreed, it shouldn't be a novelty maybe-slot it should just be part of it. Not just the massive classic ones either. Need more Turnstiles and Pigs(x7)s in main slots as much as Motorheads and Metallicas.

23 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

what do you mean by classic rock?

Most would say Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen are all classic rock

At first I thought you meant hard rock but you've differentiated them in your post

3 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

what do you mean by classic rock?

Most would say Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen are all classic rock

At first I thought you meant hard rock but you've differentiated them in your post

Didn't really mean to differentiate as I was working and in a rush, but what I mean is the 'Classic' sounding hard/melodic rock and metal from the 70s, 80s and 90s - The likes of AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Black Crowes, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, etc. (all of whom very different to each other and fall into various sub-categories but can be generally be described as Classic Hard Rock) along with the heavier modern artists that have substantial followings and fill arenas in the UK. 

Having Metallica headline in 2014 was a real breakthrough, along with the likes of Motorhead appearing, and Aerosmith this year before they had to drop out, but by and large, these types of bands just do not get booked. 

The likes of Foo Fighters, Muse and Biffy straddle the divide between heavier rock and the mainstream admirably, and of course all of them have played at Glasto, what i don't understand is why hard rock and metal are so comparatively under represented compared to practically every other type of music at Glasto. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...