Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

18 hours ago, benc said:

haven't read anything past the first page

If things get that bad and books need to be balanced, then this one is going to be unpopular, why not open the doors on Thurs instead of Weds?

Traffic

19 hours ago, benc said:

haven't read anything past the first page

If things get that bad and books need to be balanced, then this one is going to be unpopular, why not open the doors on Thurs instead of Weds?

Because it likely wouldn't save any money.

Just look at how busy the bars and food stalls are on Wednesday - even if you only lost 10% of the bar takings (I suspect it'll be more like 15%) and reduced trader pitch fees by a similar amount, I'm pretty confident that the income would be reduced by more than it'll cost the festival to open that extra day given that Wednesday has no significant entertainment budget to speak of.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

Because it likely wouldn't save any money.

Just look at how busy the bars and food stalls are on Wednesday - even if you only lost 10% of the bar takings (I suspect it'll be more like 15%) and reduced trader pitch fees by a similar amount, I'm pretty confident that the income would be reduced by more than it'll cost the festival to open that extra day given that Wednesday has no significant entertainment budget to speak of.

Easiest solution, charge an extra £20 for Wednesday entry like Boomtown do. 

42 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I feel like an early entry ticket for the Wednesday seems like one of the better ideas. If 2/3 of people aim for the Wednesday, they'd easily make an extra 400k from that alone. 

48 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I feel like an early entry ticket for the Wednesday seems like one of the better ideas. If 2/3 of people aim for the Wednesday, they'd easily make an extra 400k from that alone. 

Two things that really set Glasto apart are the inclusive Weds entry and the unlimited booze.  I think we're on a slippery slope with some of these suggestions.  I don't think Glasto will be up for any significant changes that are this obvious to it's loyal punter base to be honest - we're much more likely to see an extra few quid on tickets and freezes or cuts on area budgets, that aren't immediately obvious to anyone (apart from the obsessives like us lot). 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

Two things that really set Glasto apart are the inclusive Weds entry and the unlimited booze.  I think we're on a slippery slope with some of these suggestions.  I don't think Glasto will be up for any significant changes that are this obvious to it's loyal punter base to be honest - we're much more likely to see an extra few quid on tickets and freezes or cuts on area budgets, that aren't immediately obvious to anyone (apart from the obsessives like us lot). 

Yeah, I agree in general that they're unlikely to change anything and it's more likely they'll just increase the ticket price. From a lot of the ideas in this forum though, I find the early entry ticket one of the better ideas. Esp ahead of corporate branding everywhere or an all inclusive wristband for example. 

There's been some good cost-saving ideas on this thread, it's inevitable certain areas are less popular than others so there's always something to identify for the chop, I think it's a really interesting topic but feeling increasingly worried that something may go then I'll probably miss it! 

The cost of most things are driven by supply and demand and with the demand for the festival remaining very strong I'd say a decent price increase was the best financial option to take in a very challenging world. 

3 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I think silver Hayes needs a good shake up. I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of it but I’d maybe move Arcadia into it? Get rid of the crush around the park and inject some interest into silver Hayes. Whenever I go there, it’s pretty empty in comparisons to everywhere else

I thought this year's Silver Hayes revamp was pretty universally well-received? Sure, still room for improvement but vastly superior to the moody soundbleed-fest of the last 6/7 years 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I thought this year's Silver Hayes revamp was pretty universally well-received? Sure, still room for improvement but vastly superior to the moody soundbleed-fest of the last 6/7 years 

Managed to completely miss that entire side of the site this year. Didn't go to Silver Hayes, John Peel or even the Co-Op!

1 hour ago, stuie said:

The beauty of Wednesday entry is you’re not missing anything really, obviously this forum is bias and will insist the set up day is the perfect start to 5 days of sitting in a field, but festivals are expensive af, if it was a £20 discount if you arrived Thursday then it would be a lot more attractive as a perception. 

9 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I think silver Hayes needs a good shake up. I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of it but I’d maybe move Arcadia into it? Get rid of the crush around the park and inject some interest into silver Hayes. Whenever I go there, it’s pretty empty in comparisons to everywhere else

its got new organisers and some new stages ... it wont happen all in one year but there will be ongoing changes I would imagine over a few years 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Managed to completely miss that entire side of the site this year. Didn't go to Silver Hayes, John Peel or even the Co-Op!

Just trying to think of the stages I never made it to this year. Acoustic, Kidz (obvs), Theatre & Circus, Glade, West Holts, Park and actually, I can't remember seeing anyone on the Other! Jesus, was I even there?! 😂

8 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

The beauty of Wednesday entry is you’re not missing anything really, obviously this forum is bias and will insist the set up day is the perfect start to 5 days of sitting in a field, but festivals are expensive af, if it was a £20 discount if you arrived Thursday then it would be a lot more attractive as a perception. 

Wednesday this year was a bit lighter than normal but it's definitely considered a day of the festival by most of those that go then. 

I arrive on Monday and I consider that one of my days too! 

2 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

The revamp the area had last year made it loads better, but I'd go one further and have a massive dance stage for big acts. 

I think the main issue with the area is that you largely have DJs playing throughout the day who maybe aren't as big a draw as acts on the main stages.

Whilst I love some of the acts they had playing over the weekend, I was usually at one of the main 5 stages until the headliners and then got my DJ fix at night. 

If you had a bigger stage with bigger acts you'd got more people there during the day. 

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

This could push people to come on thursday - save £20 and get an extra day of paid work / save a day of holiday. Means vendors / bars lose money too

Also if your charging £20 i think people would expect a bit more to do maybe!!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just trying to think of the stages I never made it to this year. Acoustic, Kidz (obvs), Theatre & Circus, Glade, West Holts, Park and actually, I can't remember seeing anyone on the Other! Jesus, was I even there?! 😂

Most of my time was spent shuffling between Pyramid, Holts and Park... and meeting the odd reprobate for a pint!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Most of my time was spent shuffling between Pyramid, Holts and Park... and meeting the odd reprobate for a pint!

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You're right, he was definitely an odd reprobate

I reckon I met twice as many reprobates as you did. 

• Upvote 1