2023 Wishlist

Nick07

I remain hopeful that Les Filles de Illighadad have sorted their visa issues and can play this time.

Really want Moin and HTRK to get booked. John Carroll Kirby, Coby Sey, William Basinski, Carla Dal Forno, Space Afrika, Maxine Funke, mui zyu, Sofia Kourtesis, Slift.

How about someone like Duster?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, benali said:

I remain hopeful that Les Filles de Illighadad have sorted their visa issues and can play this time.

Really want Moin and HTRK to get booked. John Carroll Kirby, Coby Sey, William Basinski, Carla Dal Forno, Space Afrika, Maxine Funke, mui zyu, Sofia Kourtesis, Slift.

How about someone like Duster?

Duster and Moin are great shouts 

4 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I do think there aren't going to be as many big name international artists as people are assuming/used to this year

This is a fair point. Last year - my first EOTR - was a bit of a bumper year with Lucy Dacus Weather Station Hurray for the Riff Raff Kevin Morby Aldous Harding Kurt Vile Cassandra Jenkins Soccer Mommy Ryley Walker Skullcrusher Margo Cilker as well as the headliners.  All great if you like that sort of thing, & I do.

However many of the highlights - for me & my family - were acts that either weren’t on the original announcement, or which this time last year I’d never heard of…. K.o.g shovel dance collective sniffany grace Cummings deathcrash jockstrap John Francis Flynn and of course grove & lynks 🙂

so - yes it’s like Christmas Eve & boygenius big thief angel olsen & Weyes blood would be a dream… but - whatever we get - there will be so much to love ❤️ 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

This is a fair point. Last year - my first EOTR - was a bit of a bumper year with Lucy Dacus Weather Station Hurray for the Riff Raff Kevin Morby Aldous Harding Kurt Vile Cassandra Jenkins Soccer Mommy Ryley Walker Skullcrusher Margo Cilker as well as the headliners.  All great if you like that sort of thing, & I do.

However many of the highlights - for me & my family - were acts that either weren’t on the original announcement, or which this time last year I’d never heard of…. K.o.g shovel dance collective sniffany grace Cummings deathcrash jockstrap John Francis Flynn and of course grove & lynks 🙂

so - yes it’s like Christmas Eve & boygenius big thief angel olsen & Weyes blood would be a dream… but - whatever we get - there will be so much to love ❤️ 

Grace Cummings was top.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

I am hoping James Yorkston and the second hand orchestra will play this year.  Last year's solo set we excellent, and I know he really enjoyed it.

Still kicking myself for missing that and love the new album so yes please.

Having a cowboy junkies kind of morning... they'd be heavenly on the garden stage wouldn't they 

Anyone else got a bit of fear that the line up may be a little bit underpowered? Feels like every rumour we have is "Green Man" or "not in the country". I trust the bookers to deliver on the under card, and tbh 2021 was one of my favourite years despite seeing a record low number of acts, so not hugely bothered, just a vibe I have

Just now, robith said:

Anyone else got a bit of fear that the line up may be a little bit underpowered? Feels like every rumour we have is "Green Man" or "not in the country". I trust the bookers to deliver on the under card, and tbh 2021 was one of my favourite years despite seeing a record low number of acts, so not hugely bothered, just a vibe I have

Possible yeah. 2022 was a bit underpowered for my taste 

2 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Possible yeah. 2022 was a bit underpowered for my taste 

Could be coloured by my experience last year, but the fest feels on a bit of a downward slope scale wise, and certainly can't live with Green Man's financial clout and security

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, robith said:

Could be coloured by my experience last year, but the fest feels on a bit of a downward slope scale wise, and certainly can't live with Green Man's financial clout and security

I saw a couple of people on here complain in last year's aftermath that it had lost its way and couldn't afford a good bill any more at the same time as it was getting five star reviews practically across the board and people who didn't go were marvelling at the strength and breadth of the apparently now "underpowered" line-up. Within two years people went from complaining that Bright Eyes weren't headlining to complaining that Bright Eyes were headlining.

No, EOTR can't compete on a level playing field with Green Man, but it pretty much never has been able to.  Green Man has a two thirds bigger capacity, is within the prime period for the European festival calendar as opposed to right after it finishes - there's a good number of big US bands who are in Europe in the first half of August - and more recently has been able to use its setting to gain active Welsh government support. That a festival in September with no corporate backing gets such a strong line-up every year is a marvel; instead it feels like familiarity has bred some contempt.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, robith said:

That is a really interesting topic! Guess I feel slightly lucky to be routinely heading to both, and while EOTR remain 'first love' (constantly since 2010) I also now adore GlenUsk. Green Man definitely 'bigger', but I still think that EOTR carries a clout well above it's gate capacity, not least with the artists it can pull in. Whether we all like them is another matter, and (personally) re EOTR it is always going to be hard to mirror the level of lineup from 2015. But that said thought overall last year EOTR shaded GM on overall music quality.

Wonder if Belle and Sebastian were the intended Thursday headliner and that's delayed the announcement till next week? Would normally be announced this week right and they teased the "soon.." just before Stuart Murdoch announced his illness was causing tour cancellations. Just thinking out loud really, the Thursday headliner is a pretty key slot for me to get things rolling... thought they just about got away with it last year. 

Who we thinking for the Thursday?

I think it is rare for EOTR to have repeat "main stage" headliners. I think I can only recall Yo La Tengo, Fleet Foxes and Bright Eyes (kind of) headlining Garden (when it was the main stage) and Woods, and only Joanna Newsom headlining Woods twice. So I would surprised if B&S were called back to headline, but it's unthinkable. I also don't think Stuart's announcement has any bearing on the timing, they've already announced revised UK dates in the summer, so he obviously expects to be well enough to tour by then. Think these US dates have just come too soon in his recovery. Unless I've completely misread it.

• Like 1

One of the things I love about EOTR is their willingness to give a number of acts their first headline slot. Whilst this may end up looking like weak bookings to many, they are generally there on merit rather than clout, if you get my meaning.

As we say in here every year, the Woods headliners to not make the festival. A supposedly "weak" line-up at EOTR will still have me running from stage to stage trying to catch 50% of the acts on a 100 act bill. It doesn't sell out based on the line-up, it sells out because people love the festival.

• Upvote 1

I always think the green man line up looks great and then realise that’s because I’ve seen most of the acts at eotr’s in the preceding years.

I wouldn’t say that eotr is downscaling in any way. For understandable reasons 2021 was more U.K. based acts and 2022 flipped to having lots more American acts. I think this year will be back the more of a good mix. Some people seem to be down on the “Americana” vibe at eotr for some reason. I think they get the mix just right to be honest.

as far as headliners go I’m never overly fussed about who headlines the wood stage. I always prefer the garden stage for headliners anyway

personally hoping that Self Esteem play this year although they may be winding down to record new stuff after the forthcoming tour which is I think the third lap of the U.K. for the last album. Think they’d make a great garden stage headliner 

also hoping Gabriels make it back after having to cancel last year and would be delighted with Big Thief and Angel Olsen 

also great knowing there will be acts on the announcement next week I’ve never heard of who I will love come Festival time.

just please sort the toilets out 🤞

Edited by bobbyperu

19 minutes ago, shoebox said:

I think it is rare for EOTR to have repeat "main stage" headliners. I think I can only recall Yo La Tengo, Fleet Foxes and Bright Eyes (kind of) headlining Garden (when it was the main stage) and Woods, and only Joanna Newsom headlining Woods twice. So I would surprised if B&S were called back to headline, but it's unthinkable. I also don't think Stuart's announcement has any bearing on the timing, they've already announced revised UK dates in the summer, so he obviously expects to be well enough to tour by then. Think these US dates have just come too soon in his recovery. Unless I've completely misread it.

Yeah fair enough, I was thinking B & S had headlined the garden last time tbf, I missed that year.

St Vincent has headlined the woods 3 times mind hasn't she?

Lack of availability of EOTR/Green Man headline sized acts doesn't mean downscaling. I think if you were to look at some of the acts available in recent times they didn't drop the ball and miss someone who would have been great. I'd love MBV or Sufjan etc but they're literally not active, and they're not going to be swayed to come back by the likes of EOTR/GM.