ticketmaster dynamic pricing uk

brettredmayne

20 hours ago, clarkete said:

'kinel, imagine paying that for a gig if the sound was rubbish, the band had a bad night or (as I had at what was actually one of my favourite gigs ever this year) you spent the evening worrying about that bout of diarrhoea and whether you were gonna sh*t yourself surrounded by thousands of people. 

I mean, I don't think that's a regular hazard.

Saying that, nearly happened to me at a Nothing But Thieves gig in 2016 when I ate too much before the show, so... can happen.

3 hours ago, Maurice Mecca said:

The other element is what happens to the likes of Twickets, how can they police face value resale for anyone honest enough just to want to sell to another fan when the pricing will be so random.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Speaking from personal experience. I had a pair of dynamically priced tickets and tried to sell them on Twickets and they would only list them at the original face value, over a hundred quid less than I had pad for the pair.

Well I guess that answers the question, if in a faintly miserable way for the person trying to sell an inflated TM ticket where the Twickets rate means taking a loss.

10 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

Then isn't the solution to change the on sale time rather than legalised touting?

Yup. Or move to a lottery-based system like some acts are.

9 hours ago, stuie said:

I still can’t understand how changing who the tout is benefits people who might be working at the time of a ticket sale.

Because it means shows take longer to sell out so there are still tickets available when they've finished work. I'm not sure what's difficult about that? Are you suggesting people in that position would previously still be able to get tickets from touts? You're not wrong but it's certainly a lot safer buying officially, even if the cost is the same.

4 hours ago, kingbadger said:

The amount of people missing out due to not being online at 9am is infinitesimal compared to the amount of people who can't afford tout prices that is in effect what 'dynamic pricing' is. 

Except, realistically it's got to be a similar number as the same number of tickets are being eventually sold.

Why are you so desperate for people to pay extortionate, gouged prices? Why are you happy for gig tickets to only be affordable for the richest of folk and for the masses to be outpriced? Is this Liz Truss's alt account? 

I've said a few times I'm not in favour of it. I'm just trying to explain that the current system has its own biases, winners and losers and is far from perfect. Dynamic pricing doesn't feel loads worse to me. Why should whether you get to see a given act or not depend on how quickly you're able to refresh a webpage and click on the tickets? Why should that be the measure of who gets tickets, and not who is going to pay the most? Why do we determine who is the biggest fan by how quick they are on ticketing sites rather than by how much money they save for tickets?

Like I say, random lottery works for me. Or acts being less lazy and actually playing enough shows to fulfil demand at a sensible price. 

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean, I don't think that's a regular hazard.

Saying that, nearly happened to me at a Nothing But Thieves gig in 2016 when I ate too much before the show, so... can happen.

I had to wait for lockdown to finish before I could finally get to see Sparks play at Barrowlands and s*ds law that's when I fell ill. I took more immodium than the recommended dose purely to keep it at bay, which it just about did for the two hours they played and my walk back to the hotel 😥

What's wrong with having a personalised ticket (and a chance of selling that ticket on for FV through official reseller)? Surely it's better, easier, fairer and more accessible to do it this way, than charge an average monthly salary for a ticket that would otherwise cost 75 quid after 5min of ticket frenzy.

I mean it's not like a grocery shop worker who is not allowed to take a toilet break at 9am will be able to afford £2000+ blink 182 ticket at 4 pm?

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yup. Or move to a lottery-based system like some acts are.

Because it means shows take longer to sell out so there are still tickets available when they've finished work. I'm not sure what's difficult about that? Are you suggesting people in that position would previously still be able to get tickets from touts? You're not wrong but it's certainly a lot safer buying officially, even if the cost is the same.

Except, realistically it's got to be a similar number as the same number of tickets are being eventually sold.

I've said a few times I'm not in favour of it. I'm just trying to explain that the current system has its own biases, winners and losers and is far from perfect. Dynamic pricing doesn't feel loads worse to me. Why should whether you get to see a given act or not depend on how quickly you're able to refresh a webpage and click on the tickets? Why should that be the measure of who gets tickets, and not who is going to pay the most? Why do we determine who is the biggest fan by how quick they are on ticketing sites rather than by how much money they save for tickets?

Like I say, random lottery works for me. Or acts being less lazy and actually playing enough shows to fulfil demand at a sensible price. 

Then you want to turn concerts into the hunger games which is stupid. Lottery has been for underplay gigs, not for arenas and stadiums. Even if it turned into that the touts still get tickets and theyve already bypassed any restrictions on resale anyway. 

Now this is some ignorance if Ive ever seen it. Mark knows theyre getting a big fat bag and just wants to make it seem that they care. They totally have say. They just looked the other way when the guarantee was put in front of them with so many zeros

0A0AF98C-C624-4BEE-882B-94CA23BDBDBC.jpeg

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Then you want to turn concerts into the hunger games which is stupid. Lottery has been for underplay gigs, not for arenas and stadiums. Even if it turned into that the touts still get tickets and theyve already bypassed any restrictions on resale anyway. 

Now this is some ignorance if Ive ever seen it. Mark knows theyre getting a big fat bag and just wants to make it seem that they care. They totally have say. They just looked the other way when the guarantee was put in front of them with so many zeros

126 idiots

On 10/14/2022 at 6:30 AM, Suprefan said:

Hmmm... So he's pondered the question but managed to miss the mark.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:39 PM, DeanoL said:

Like I say, random lottery works for me.

Lottery would be even worse than dynamic pricing. At least it almost feels like I have some control over trying to get tickets at the moment, despite the pricing. Lottery could see me never attending a show ever again based purely on luck.

6 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Lottery would be even worse than dynamic pricing. At least it almost feels like I have some control over trying to get tickets at the moment, despite the pricing. Lottery could see me never attending a show ever again based purely on luck.

The virtual queue they do at the moment is a lottery. 

Been trying for Blink 182 tickets this morning for daughter and her husband, not offered any tickets at regular prices, all at double the official face value, even though they have added additional dates, current cheapest seat is £145 good seats are £234

luckily she has more sense than to pay that, with 2 dates in Manchester I'm sure I'll be able to get tickets at a better price nearer the time. (gig is a year away).

24 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Expecting Paramore UK tour to be announced today and I will be sad if Ticketmaster do dynamic pricing for it

Aim for the presale - as far as i've seen its never enabled for presales 🙂 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

In the uk maybe, not here. Thats where it starts. But considering they saw some of the insanity on the u.s leg they might hold firm for everything.

The person was asking about the UK. Your from America, ticketmaster are shit. we get it

• Upvote 1