ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales

Crazyfool01

14 minutes ago, Breeze said:

What is this 'Rank: Newbie' all about? Have been on here since 2002 lol Admittedly not much in recent few years.

Got added a few months ago and it started fresh i think, think its just part of a update to the forum software

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Given the price increase, how are we expecting it to affect the ticket sales times this year then? Similar sell out times to previously given the deposit has remained the same with perhaps more tickets in the April resale is where I see it heading.

image.thumb.png.1d051694bac81704a7c5fb972d813fab.png

Thats the general consensus yep

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Thanks @parsonjack@p.pete  On the cookies point, is that not solved by having Private mode on all the browsers you try?

It sounds like you guys think the risk is too high which I think is right. You would rather 100% know that you have 60 chances per second than be in the hands of the gods by trying to get to 100 or something. And we don't have a clue how many servers there are - imagine its a few to manage traffic but who knows

So in summary safe approach:

- 1 browser refreshing 60 times per minute

- 1 4G phone refreshing 60 times per minute

Dangerous but potential reward approach:

- Private Browser 1 - refreshing 30 times per minute

- Private Browser 2 - refreshing 30 times per minutes

- Private Browser 3 - refreshing 40 times per minute

Extreme Danger but massive reward approach:

- Private Browser 1 - refreshing 60 times per minute

- Private Browser 2 - refreshing 60 times per minutes

- Private Browser 3 - refreshing 60 times per minute

Does that make sense? 

At the end of the day control the controllable (spreadsheets, organisation, no drinking night before, try post sold out, have enough credit / funds, etc etc) and the rest is luck. 

It makes sense but Private Browser is a red herring in your thought process.

The value of a private browser is purely that it gives you a different session / set of cookies to play with - if you think of each one being a different sandbox.  If you open multiple chrome tabs then you're still in the same sandbox, whereas chrome incognito gives you a proper second option.

All your (wifi) traffic is going via your single home router - by the time it gets there it doesn't matter that it's arrived with the label 'Private' - Chrome, Edge & Firefox will give you the same outcome as the private equivalent of each.  If between your router and seetickets servers these things all hit the same point of load balancing then all your different browsers will be sharing the one set of 60 refreshes.

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Given the price increase, how are we expecting it to affect the ticket sales times this year then? Similar sell out times to previously given the deposit has remained the same with perhaps more tickets in the April resale is where I see it heading.

image.thumb.png.1d051694bac81704a7c5fb972d813fab.png

Yeah I see it making no difference whatsoever.

Yeah I think it'll take the same amount of time to sell out as last time round - access to the booking page is restricted isn't it? so that's the bottle neck and if they let more/fewer people onto the booking page that will impact the timeframe to selling out. They'd have to be a massive downturn in demand for time to reduce the time.

I'm unsure about going - I might log in on for a giggle to see if I get the booking page - I've not seen it in the main sale for years!

and then by the resale, I'll decide if I'll try or not. I've mostly got tickets in the resale since 2014

16 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

This is the first time that i can remember GF putting so much 'preparedness' info on the website https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-2023-tickets-on-sale-in-november/

Note the 'Be reasonable and considerate' section near the end.....

Interesting.

I’m not sure how this theory about throttling works though. It’s entirely feasible (even probable), but then what about groups of friends at a single house all trying? I find the idea that they would be intentionally throttled a little sad, but perhaps a necessary evil in this case.

17 minutes ago, benc said:

'm unsure about going - I might log in on for a giggle to see if I get the booking page - I've not seen it in the main sale for years!

Please don't! That's a wasted booking page many of us genuinely need to see! 🙏

Edited by parsonjack
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EamerRed said:

Interesting.

I’m not sure how this theory about throttling works though. It’s entirely feasible (even probable), but then what about groups of friends at a single house all trying? I find the idea that they would be intentionally throttled a little sad, but perhaps a necessary evil in this case.

Rate-limiting (rather than 'throttling' which controls the speed of the sale by adjusting the concurrent number of sessions available) is deployed by Seetickets to limit the amount of attempts you can make to buy a ticket over a set period of time.....in this case 60 'hits' per minute. 

Once the limit is reached you get presented with the normal 'busy' page which then stays with you until your refresh rate falls below 60/minute.  Obvs in a true sale scenario you don't know if you have that page genuinely, or because you are F5'ing like a lunatic....so it's best avoided.

Jury is out on the impact of this on households all sharing the same public ie external facing IP address, but you're quite right that the bigger the group the more likelihood that the limit is reached and that some, or all, of you get the 'fake' busy page.

The up side to this is that due to there being more than one back-end server (there are 5 at present....) the less likely of this happening. For instance if we assume that an average customer will refresh at a 3 second rate then that would be 20/minute.  If there was just 1 server then you could theoretically have 3 people on the same IP trying at the same rate before you reached the 60/minute limit. There are actually 5 servers so the theoretical maximum number of people trying at a 3 second rate would be 15....more than enough for most households next Sunday I guess.

Of course this all assumes that all the requests get equally divided between the 5 servers, and that's what load-balancing should handle for you, but it's not a given, so there does remain some risk - which can be mitigated by some or all of reducing your refresh rate, reducing the number trying from a single IP, and using some connections on 4G hotspots instead of wifi.

Edited by parsonjack
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Have a live spreadsheet on google docs that can be accessed by all to show which groups have got tickets, don't confer in any other way until after the sale

Do you not communicate mid the sale? So, for example say two groups, somebody from Group A has gotten through to the booking page. Would that somebody not say they're booking tickets to the rest of A incase somebody else from A has also gotten through? Obviously only one would get knocked back, but that second person from Group A could be buying B's tickets?

Or do you simply not communicate until somebody greens the group on the sheet?

Edited by Mark Greensmith

17 minutes ago, Mark Greensmith said:

Do you not communicate mid the sale? So, for example say two groups, somebody from Group A has gotten through to the booking page. Would that somebody not say they're booking tickets to the rest of A incase somebody else from A has also gotten through? Obviously only one would get knocked back, but that second person from Group A could be buying B's tickets?

The chances of two people getting on within seconds of each other are small. I would just focus 100% on securing the tickets and then update the spreadsheet, move on the next group.

18 minutes ago, Mark Greensmith said:

Communication via watts app … group a done … group b done …. Admin marks the sheet green … people move to different group . No other chat on watts app untill after sale finishes or everyone is sorted 

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Communication via watts app … group a done … group b done …. Admin marks the sheet green … people move to different group . No other chat on watts app untill after sale finishes or everyone is sorted 

....and all spreadsheet details checked and triple checked prior to sale to avoid any need to discuss on whatsapp.

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

The chances of two people getting on within seconds of each other are small. I would just focus 100% on securing the tickets and then update the spreadsheet, move on the next group.

if you've got like 50 people trying and theres only 2 groups left this could easily happen

Just checked the chrome extensions I used previously (Magical - Text Expander & Auto Refresh) still work and that I still know how to use them. All good! Can't believe we're a week away from the ticket sale. Quite enjoy that we're doing it in November this time as at least the festival will feel a tiny bit closer than it does in early October!

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

if you've got like 50 people trying and theres only 2 groups left this could easily happen

If that were the case you'd have a system that meant some were trying for both teams I would imagine, so I'd still say better for whoever gets through to just plough on and secure the tickets without faffing about on whatsapp. 

2 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Just checked the chrome extensions I used previously (Magical - Text Expander & Auto Refresh) still work and that I still know how to use them. All good! Can't believe we're a week away from the ticket sale. Quite enjoy that we're doing it in November this time as at least the festival will feel a tiny bit closer than it does in early October!

@Joshuwarr quick question - using Magical Text Expander, can you add some sort of TAB character within a shortcut so that it can move to the next field and fill in the whole form with one shortucut, or do you have to create a shortcut for each reg no. & postcode and enter each one individually?

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm already dreading next week. Particularly the fact that I will tell my group not chat in the group until they are successful and they absolutely will. "Nothing for me" etc. Going to have to be strict and ignore it!

Set the group so only admins can post?

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales