Green Man 2023

March Hare

4 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

YYYs are interesting, at the moment their schedule runs from 25th (APE) to the 29th, which feels a little like they're not going to be over any earlier and unless Reading & Leeds are interested that might be their only UK date as it's already in London.

I’ve put YYY’s “EU” tour poster below.  I’m not sure they’d design it that way if they weren’t going to be announcing some additional EU/U.K. dates earlier on in August.  

3C5FCFA5-3A72-4B35-BF8F-1EB664E5F76E.jpeg

23 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Would also echo on reflection that this is incomplete as there's no African acts, although I wonder if some might tread lightly around them given how many pulled out of UK visits over visas last year.

Although not BCUC, Orchestra Baobab and Mdou Moctar who were 3 of my absolute highlights last year.

7 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

hoping this is a (completely inaccurate) guess

I know underwhelming headliners has been a feature of a lot of announcements for this summer but it would be glaring if in the same year Angel Olsen was downgraded from 2020 EOTR headliner to 2023 sub Green Man decided they really couldn't do the same to their 2020 headliner Mac Demarco. (Though I just checked and his last London date was Ally Pally, which I know has loads of rooms but seems like at least a comparable size to their usual headliners)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I know underwhelming headliners has been a feature of a lot of announcements for this summer but it would be glaring if in the same year Angel Olsen was downgraded from 2020 EOTR headliner to 2023 sub Green Man decided they really couldn't do the same to their 2020 headliner Mac Demarco. (Though I just checked and his last London date was Ally Pally, which I know has loads of rooms but seems like at least a comparable size to their usual headliners)

he has so far got no dates announced, long may that continue 

• Downvote 1

Feel like waiting for an announcement is a pretty slow death in this thread at the moment so I’ll change the subject to something else.

As this will be my first time, can those who have been before tell me what you love about it? How does it compare to Glastonbury? Any tips for first timers? Whatever else

My view is that it's like all the best bits of Glastonbury without the hassle.  Food and drink is good at reasonable prices, toilets are excellent and lots of things beyond the music to enjoy and experience.  I caravan so can't comment on the camping side other than to say it gets pretty rammed so an early turn up would be adviseable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

Feel like waiting for an announcement is a pretty slow death in this thread at the moment so I’ll change the subject to something else.

As this will be my first time, can those who have been before tell me what you love about it? How does it compare to Glastonbury? Any tips for first timers? Whatever else

Love the site, walking around just looking at the mountains is beautiful.

There's plenty of stuff to do, obviously it's way smaller than Glastonbury with less on offer but there's never really a time without something worth watching.

It's small enough that even if you are at the end of the site and camped as far away as you can it won't take long to nip back to the tent for a jumper or more drinks or whatever.

Not sure if you have Settlers tickets but that's the best way to experience the festival in my opinion. Get there on Monday, explore the local area and be all ready to go on Thursday when everyone else is turning up.

The people are great, we meet a load every year from all over the country who we only ever see at GM.

One of my favourite things about it is that a lot of bands hang out there for the whole festival and support each other. You'll see them wandering around the site, stood in the crowd watching other music or even flying around in a mosh pit.

I heartily recommend spending time at the Rising Stage. It's a good chance to see some excellent new bands, and the vibe there is so encouraging.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, 1986 said:

Sooo much less stressful than glastonbury, typically not more than 15 mins from your tent to any stage, easy to split sets when you cant decide which to watch, dont spend half your time trying to find your friends. Plenty of fun to be had after dark but all quietens down by about 4 so you actually get some sleep and feel so much better for it. Easy to get a shower too. Would fully agree on the settlement being the best way to explore the area if you have the option to, really nice way to ease you in and Crickhowell is a lovely town.

Favourite thing is just getting to aimlessly explore loads of new music, without the feeling that you should be storming across to some band you already know on a distant stage. Oh and the food. And the great drinks options(trying to get through every ale at the beer hall). Great crowd too, not full of angry coked up scallys that dont even care about the musuc like glastonbury seems to be thrse days sadly. 

18 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

other than to say it gets pretty rammed so an early turn up would be adviseable.

On this note: I've been twice. In 2022 and 2021. And the camping situation seemed MUCH busier last year compared to 2021.

Does anyone know whether this was because there were just less people there in 2021 (for obvious reasons) or because some people were allowed in a day earlier in 2022 (due to train strikes). A combination of these? Or some other reason?

Basically we didn't get there much later in 2022 than 2021, and we really struggled to find space for even three tents together. Is that the norm and 2021 was unusual?

6 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

On this note: I've been twice. In 2022 and 2021. And the camping situation seemed MUCH busier last year compared to 2021.

Does anyone know whether this was because there were just less people there in 2021 (for obvious reasons) or because some people were allowed in a day earlier in 2022 (due to train strikes). A combination of these? Or some other reason?

Basically we didn't get there much later in 2022 than 2021, and we really struggled to find space for even three tents together. Is that the norm and 2021 was unusual?

I don't know if capacity has gone up, I thought it had hit a ceiling a good few years ago?

They tried to ban gazebos a couple of years ago but then went back on it after people kicked off, and the questionnaire after last year's festival mentioned them again. To be honest some people do take the piss with their camping villages featuring 3 event shelters joined together. Must be frustrating when you're trawling around the campsite on Friday afternoon looking for a spot.

I remember before lockdown it was a struggle for late arrivals to find anywhere.

It's definitely something they need to address but the limitations of site probably mean either banning gazebos completely or moving to a new location. The rush for tickets now shows they could easily sell a whole bunch more.

12 hours ago, benali said:

I don't know if capacity has gone up, I thought it had hit a ceiling a good few years ago?

Thanks for all this!

Just to clarify on the capacity point, I didn't mean it had gone up or down, I meant I think it was a reduced turn out in 2021 due to lockdown (and people being able to carry their tickets over to 2022)? I'm not sure as I bought my 2021 one in 2021. But it did feel busier in 2022. As I say I've only been those two times so difficult to judge.

We got there Thu afternoon last year and struggled to get a spot. Guess we'll just have to go Thu morning this year.