Green Man 2023

March Hare

On 8/24/2022 at 5:25 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

There's also a potential headline status for Laura Marling, who although you don't necessarily think of her has been a big deal for a while and is due a new album in the next year, and I think very soon one of GM and EOTR will bite the bullet.

Her Lump set last year in Far Out was stunning, headliner worthy (imho) and perhaps that set up with Mike might be an easier headline option than #just# Laura?

21 minutes ago, JHad said:

For lesser known acts to various degrees (at least in the UK), I'll chuck in a random selection of those I've enjoyed recently: Fat Dog, Potron Potron Lopez, ARXX, Automatic, Lido Pimienta, Platonica Erotica, TEKE::TEKE, Treeboy & Arc, Penguin Cafe, Kills Birds, deep tan, Butch Kassidy, VLURE, and Mermaid Chunky. No idea if any of them have played previously! I feel like TEKE::TEKE, Lido Pimienta and Penguin Cafe would all go down a treat in the WG.

Worth looking at EOTR's "boat stage" line up as early signpost, which has a few of these and some others e.g. Taraka. And (along with @Born in the Fifties) I'll put in a big echo shout for 'mon the VLURE. 

30 minutes ago, JHad said:

Melin Melyn have to be back again after their incredible performances the past two years. I can see them opening the Mountain on Thursday next year. There are always a few Rising acts taking a step up too - I'll go for Lime Garden, English Teacher and Bingo Fury. I'd love for Pushpin and M(h)aol to come back but feel the others are more likely to gain momentum. I think Blodau Papur could step up from Settlement too. Would be lovely in the Walled Garden.

Snapped Ankles are due a return, as are The Lovely Eggs, Do Nothing and The Cool Greenhouse. Tropical Fuck Storm too?

For lesser known acts to various degrees (at least in the UK), I'll chuck in a random selection of those I've enjoyed recently: Fat Dog, Potron Potron Lopez, ARXX, Automatic, Lido Pimienta, Platonica Erotica, TEKE::TEKE, Treeboy & Arc, Penguin Cafe, Kills Birds, deep tan, Butch Kassidy, VLURE, and Mermaid Chunky. No idea if any of them have played previously! I feel like TEKE::TEKE, Lido Pimienta and Penguin Cafe would all go down a treat in the WG.

I don't recall any of those lesser known bands playing GM before. Heard of some, will check the others out.

Have seen deep tan live. They didn't really do much for me to be honest.

Snapped Ankles were there last year so maybe too soon? One band who is really overdue at GM is Warmduscher. Also, and I don't like them that much, but I'm really surprised Sports Team haven't come back since playing Rising a good few years ago as they seem like the sort of band who'd do really well there.

I reckon Vegas Water Taxi could get booked. It's Ben from Lazarus Kane's new band. 

Aga Ujma would be great on Walled Garden. Others I'd like to see are The Early Mornings, Heka, Pozi, For Breakfast, Joanne Robertson, Folly Group, Flat Worms, Katie Anne Malco, Rozi Plain, Ghost Woman, BDRMM, Gustaf, Been Stellar, Tomberlin and Emma Ruth Rundle.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

Worth looking at EOTR's "boat stage" line up as early signpost, which has a few of these and some others e.g. Taraka. And (along with @Born in the Fifties) I'll put in a big echo shout for 'mon the VLURE. 

Just listened to Taraka, sounds great. Will try and catch them at EOTR. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, benali said:

I don't recall any of those lesser known bands playing GM before. Heard of some, will check the others out.

Have seen deep tan live. They didn't really do much for me to be honest.

Snapped Ankles were there last year so maybe too soon? One band who is really overdue at GM is Warmduscher. Also, and I don't like them that much, but I'm really surprised Sports Team haven't come back since playing Rising a good few years ago as they seem like the sort of band who'd do really well there.

I reckon Vegas Water Taxi could get booked. It's Ben from Lazarus Kane's new band. 

Aga Ujma would be great on Walled Garden. Others I'd like to see are The Early Mornings, Heka, Pozi, For Breakfast, Joanne Robertson, Folly Group, Flat Worms, Katie Anne Malco, Rozi Plain, Ghost Woman, BDRMM, Gustaf, Been Stellar, Tomberlin and Emma Ruth Rundle.

Ooooh, Vegas Water Taxi are straight on to my list to catch live ASAP! [edit: they're playing a free gig in London in 2 days!]

Would love Pozi back too. They were brilliant on Rising in 2019.

Edited by JHad

1 minute ago, JHad said:

Ooooh, Vegas Water Taxi are straight on to my list to catch live ASAP!

They've been playing the Windmill and those sort of places if you are London based. Sadly I'm not so will have to wait until So Young put them on in Southampton which is likely as they have links with Lazarus Kane.

17 minutes ago, benali said:

Also, and I don't like them that much, but I'm really surprised Sports Team haven't come back since playing Rising a good few years ago as they seem like the sort of band who'd do really well there.

That happens with bands very occasionally early on, where they play a cultish festival before getting their big mainstream break. Beabadoobee played the Walled Garden in 2019. Catfish & The Bottlemen are about as far guitar-wise from an End Of The Road type band as you can get but they played there years ago.

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Nobody's suggested them yet but I've just seen their name mentioned and think they're a possibility - LCD Soundsystem?

They follow the paycheck like Arcade Fire (both played an nft music festival recently). I can't see Green Man being able to afford them compared to APE.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:25 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

There's also a potential headline status for Laura Marling, who although you don't necessarily think of her has been a big deal for a while and is due a new album in the next year, and I think very soon one of GM and EOTR will bite the bullet.

Her to headline either would be excellent. Some of the draw for her is she doesnt tour relentlessly so its not a case of most people will already have seen her loads of times recently, like you get with a lot of the current crop of headliners doing the rounds at these sorts of festivals. 

She would be a lot cheaper than some of the names previously mentioned too. Fwiw i dont think bridgers could be in the frame, probably too big now and a name that would draw a very partisan crowd. Plus she seems to play a lot of corporate venues and festivals probably due to who she has a big deal with (Live Nation most likely)

On 8/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, scatteredscreens said:

Yeah I think LCD are way too big and expensive. They'll be playing the likes of Primavera and APE next year, doubt they'd even give green man a looking.

They are 100% way too expensive / big and are signed up to a super corporate promoter. (AEG Live)

Could see them headlining an APE day as a UK exclusive. They wont tour relentlessly so will pick their paydays as they have done this year. AEG put on APE so imagine this is a done deal already. Tbf a well curated APE day with LCD headlining could be superb

Edited by Memory Man

Laura Marling headlined in 2016, and is bigger now… so there’s no doubt she can headline. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her back.

Mac de Marco must be in the running which wouldn’t be my cup of tea but he was booked for the covid year. Sooner or later they’ll get Eels back to headline I would think, and I’ve always wondered when they’ll cave and book the Manics (wouldn’t be popular with the regulars though)