Glastonbury Headliners 2008-2022 Tiermaker

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

image.png.accb56688b646e4a6f105d75eb37fa2c.png

I was 60 in 2013, which was my first ever Glasto, so that probably explains how mainstream my choices are. 

While I was checking to see who played when, I can see I missed some brilliant acts in the 4 visits I've made so far. With the help of Spotify, Emily has expanded my musical horizons in every direction since then. 

14 hours ago, Green Croc said:

I wasn't there but I've watched a lot of The Verve's set online and I thought it looked really good. Is the general consensus they weren't quite deserving of the slot so that's why people weren't fussed about it?

I was there. Personally thought they were great. Them finishing with 'Love Is Noise', which was new to me at the time, is one of my all-time favourite Glastonbury memories. 
Will try to do my own list tomorrow.

Edited by Watergirl

What's great about all these tables is to see how different everyone thinks about the performances based on their own criteria.

There must be hundreds of conscious and unconscious variables at play.

It's what makes music so exciting, esp live music.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Actually painful how underrated The Verve are. That set was absolutely incredible and anyone who needs proof go youtube Love is Noise at glastonbury. To finish the set with a new song that hardly anyone had heard yet and to bring the absolute house down is something that's not been done with any other headliner. Seriously, youtube it. Gotta be up there as the greatest live recording ever.

edit: here it is

Edited by downtherabbithole
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, rhyscork said:

my-image.png

I can only judge from TV but I can agree Muse's 2010 set looked better than the 2016 one, which is a rating others have given. Vibe probably helped - summer day at a time when they were probably at peak popularity compared to what looked like a wet day, the downbeat feel of it being that day post-referendum, the odd choice to play the full 10 minutes of Globalist (a song very much to keep at their own headline shows than festivals imo) and the fact Foals' set before was at least on par.

I still find it something that Kings of Leon's 2008 show was literally just before Sex on Fire and Use Somebody came out, and the vibe changed so readily for their shows between that and Reading 2009, when Caleb spent a lot of the time scowling a big chunk of the crowd was waiting around just for those two songs.

A bizarre way to spend an hour on a sunny afternoon, but I thought I'd see which act was most popular across the years. Five points for an All Time Classic down to 1 for Very Weak. It took way longer than I thought it would and an audit would probably find loads of mistakes, but just in case you're in any way interested.......

image.png.472ef328aea3d3b8a7863d13fd844491.png

Edited by Stevie P-alike
Typo
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Stevie P-alike said:

A bizarre way to spend an hour on a sunny afternoon, but I thought I'd see which act was most popular across the years. Five points for an All Time Classic down to 1 for Very Weak. It took way longer than I thought it would and an audit would probably find loads of mistakes, but just in case you're in any way interested.......

image.png.472ef328aea3d3b8a7863d13fd844491.png

This is an excellent extension of the tiermaker, really great effort, love this kind of data.

Stevie Wonder winning by a nose. I think I remember there was a hurt/heal game of the best headliners and he won it - although this was quite a few years ago circa 2014, before Adele, Kendrick and Macca, who are also now firmly in the top ten sets of all time. 

Also, Mumford rooted to bottom slot... no surprises there.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

18 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I know pretty much everyone is going to disagree with my rating of the Who, but I loved it. My favourite band at my favourite festival.

my-image.png

Heck, if you loved it, you loved it!

That's what this all shows, music is so diverse and unexplainable sometimes and for whatever reason you hit the perfect constellation with them, then so be it 😄 

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This is an excellent extension of the tiermaker, really great effort!

Stevie Wonder winning by a nose. I think I remember there was a hurt/heal game of the best headliners and he won it - although this was quite a few years ago circa 2014, before Adele, Kendrick and Macca, who are also now firmly in the top ten sets of all time. 

Also, Mumford rooted to bottom slot... no surprises there.

Might be time to do another one of these.

What year did the last one start? Was it every headliner since the festival began?!

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Might be time to do another one of these.

What year did the last one start? Was it every headliner since the festival began?!

Yeah, I think it was every headliner since the beginning, or I at least remember there were about 50 bands being copied and pasted at any given moment. Can't for the life of me remember who came runner-up against Stevie, but I know he won. 

I remember I'd only just joined the site and didn't understand what a hurt/heal game was, so I might have just missed some of the early cuts.