Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

I had to take a double take when checking the history of my monthly gas payment. I am now at 250. The gas company has sent a mail that price goes up again in September. A year ago, I was paying... 95 a month. I am definitely taking my instant pot out of the closet for anything that needs to cook more than 10 mn. And we only heat the living room/kitchen...

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

If that happens as predicted I’m just going to have very little after bills , probably will ask if I go back into the office full time to save electric. Also I won’t be going to Glastonbury, I bet I’m not the only one waking up thinking how do we survive 

I manage 6 offices looking after 180+ staff.

Fully expecting those who do hybrid working to return to the office for more days during the week.

Edited by JoeyT

Is everyone here on variable tariffs?

I (luckily) signed up for a 3 year fixed rate tariff with EDF in Sept 2021....so that will run out Sept 2024 so I'm ok, but I just can't fathom how they can get away with charging the sort of prices that are being banded about....scares me what will happen when mine ends in 2 years.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I manage 6 offices looking after 180+ staff.

Fully expecting those who do hybrid working to return to the office for more days during the week.

I've noticed a lot more people coming in anyway over the summer....perhaps the novelty has worn off for some? (appreciate this is a different convo!)

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I (luckily) signed up for a 3 year fixed rate tariff with EDF in Sept 2021....so that will run out Sept 2024 so I'm ok, but I just can't fathom how they can get away with charging the sort of prices that are being banded about....scares me what will happen when mine ends in 2 years.

Im on standard now as the fixed deals would have killed me in the summer, now I’m actually going to be paying more then the deals I was offered 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've noticed a lot more people coming in anyway over the summer....perhaps the novelty has worn off for some? (appreciate this is a different convo!)

I save money not travelling to work so that’s why I was happier doing it but now I’m going to have to work out what’s cheaper 

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Geez. Checked the current bill here and its barely $41 usd for the current gas bill. And last month was $10 higher barely. Although the electric bill is where its more, but still. £250 on gas alone? Robbery

Well it's more a fixed monthly fee. If I paid per month now I'd pay something like 30 in the summer, shower and food prep. But in the winter more up to 500 (or more). The problem here is that people put this monthly payment low now, postponing the big bill. We can afford not to do that. The issue with people paying too low now is that small gas companies lack cash, risking bankruptcy for some small budget players. So people are rightfully afraid to overpay now and risk to lose everything. Bit of a mess...

I do think I may go to the office more too! Luckily I can go by bike. 

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm on deemed rates since I moved in, which is basically whatever the energy cap is. The energy companies weren't offering anything other than this in terms of tariff. Am somewhat lucky in that it's only me in a tiny flat and I'm always warm at the best of times. Will just have the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and that'll do me fine. Worst comes to worst I'll have to stick some PJs on in bed and wear a hoody in the living room. Thankfully my mum has my little bro at home and can now ask him to pay housekeeping which will cover the increase. 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

I'm on deemed rates since I moved in, which is basically whatever the energy cap is. The energy companies weren't offering anything other than this in terms of tariff. Am somewhat lucky in that it's only me in a tiny flat and I'm always warm at the best of times. Will just have the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and that'll do me fine. Worst comes to worst I'll have to stick some PJs on in bed and wear a hoody in the living room. Thankfully my mum has my little bro at home and can now ask him to pay housekeeping which will cover the increase. 

That's what my mum always used to say 'put a jumper on rather than putting the heating right up'

Think we will be doing similar!

Always had a jumper wearing, electric blanket etc routine. Basically there's not more we can do so SOMEHOW this is making it less stressful. Funny thing being that we tend to be too warm if putting up the heater at 20/21 if we have visitors. Well now THEY will wear jumpers too 😄 Am considering showering at the gym a couple of times a week (showers are not great there but...). At least motivation to go. Think positive I guess.

43 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I save money not travelling to work so that’s why I was happier doing it but now I’m going to have to work out what’s cheaper 

Going to have to get the calculator out. Fuel costs for 50 mile round trip be heating the house for the day.

Plus offsetting the pain of having to make small talk. And not being able to make frequent trips to the record player. And posting on here. And wearing what I want. And not having a shave.

Sod it. I'll pay for the gas.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I think you've nailed it tbh, in 2 years they won't be this high 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Going to have to get the calculator out. Fuel costs for 50 mile round trip be heating the house for the day.

Plus offsetting the pain of having to make small talk. And not being able to make frequent trips to the record player. And posting on here. And wearing what I want. And not having a shave.

Sod it. I'll pay for the gas.

Blanket on lap, blanket on shoulders, pretending webcam doesn't work/aiming webcam to face only (OK I don't have to shave my face) . (that was me last winter)

The pain of small talk and bad music and not keeping up with Glastonbury business is not worth it.

Edited by moogster

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't have an office and I have a severely arthritic dog who needs to be kept warm so I kind of need to stay at home anyway. Wonder if I can train her to sit on a hot water bottle?? 

I have a fluffy heating pad thingy for one of my cat because of that. That probably exists in a bigger size? 

Edited because yes of course it exists.

Edited by moogster

Just now, moogster said:

I have a fluffy heating pad thingy for one of my cat because of that. That probably exists in a bigger size? 

Yep the main problem is my dog is a knob. Everything we are meant to do to make her better and manage her pain better she utterly refuses to do. Even in Winter she quite happily sleeps on a cooling mat.