Volunteering 2023

neil93

6 minutes ago, dondo said:

With me on the recycling crew I do feel part of the festival- not least when I was on early morning litter picking and you saw how clean the field was after you'd cleared it and you felt you were helping getting the site ready for the day.  I used to take before and after photos!

It can also feel like work in that I've obviously got to pick up litter or sort out bags in the recycling centre and I've had to set an alarm to get up for shifts and means I can't have too late a night.  But I'm happy with that in the main as I normally work with a good bunch of folk and time generally flies by.

odd question ... but in the fields there are different bins for different things ..... what happens when they reach the recycling centre ? are a particular type loaded on the belt for sorting at a time or does it all just get mixed up ... rendering the point of separating in the fields pointless ? 

10 hours ago, gordong said:

Bit of a weird question, but does it still feel like you are at Glastonbury…as in does the work feel like just a part of the experience? Or does it feel like you are there working? If that makes sense. 

It depends what you are doing but to some extent you do still feel part of the festival. I really did whilst doing a road crossing with people coming in, & traffic needing directions. Not so much at Stickleball. It’s definitely best to have the attitude that your shifts are part of your festival though. That really helps. I tend to just let them tick by if they are dull.

On my last Glastonbury I did discover that taking some paracetamol helps with the aching feet towards the end of a shift.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

odd question ... but in the fields there are different bins for different things ..... what happens when they reach the recycling centre ? are a particular type loaded on the belt for sorting at a time or does it all just get mixed up ... rendering the point of separating in the fields pointless ? 

In the recycling centre I have mainly seen the bags that are from what the litter pickers have filled from the morning pick.  They are kept separate.  Food waste (including the paper plates, wooden spoons etc.) is put to one side as that is compostable.  Non recyclables are also put to one side.  The bags that contain recyclables (cans, plastic etc.) are then tipped onto belts for sorting into the various categories.

In regards to when things get all mixed up in the bins around site I am not sure how that's dealt with- as I'm on tractor crew this year I may get more insight.

22 minutes ago, dondo said:

In the recycling centre I have mainly seen the bags that are from what the litter pickers have filled from the morning pick.  They are kept separate.  Food waste (including the paper plates, wooden spoons etc.) is put to one side as that is compostable.  Non recyclables are also put to one side.  The bags that contain recyclables (cans, plastic etc.) are then tipped onto belts for sorting into the various categories.

In regards to when things get all mixed up in the bins around site I am not sure how that's dealt with- as I'm on tractor crew this year I may get more insight.

I thought the mixed up bins go down the line? They would have to right?

4 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

They are supposed to be segregated at point of disposal according to the different lid colours … was just trying to figure out if there was any point to that as they have to go through sorting anyway I’d imagine 

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I would imagine so as on the belts anything that can't be recycled goes to a big central belt that takes that away into a non recyclables bin.

I suppose what I meant was that I have seen the bins being dealt with by litter picking crews in clearing all of the piled up stuff on top but also seen them tipped into bin lorries too.  It was the latter I wasn't sure what happens with.  Given the targets that the festival has for recycling I would imagine that it's tipped and sorted somewhere else off site.

13 hours ago, gordong said:

Cheers, appreciate the inputs! Assuming the worst and I am posted at some isolated gate…how strict are they about entertainment? Could I have one earplug in with an audiobook? Could I bring an actual book?

You wouldn't be posted somewhere on your own, you'd be with at least one other Oxfammer (and often some security staff) so I think the audiobook would be weird.

15 hours ago, leej7 said:

VG5/6 are always good fun at the top of the site. Where all vehicles / artists tour buses park etc. Back in 2017 met a fair few artists, Emily and her husband and others, was a cracking place to do my one and only volunteering Glasto (so far...)

Huh, I did VG6 last year and didn't meet any artists/Emily....I did see a lot of tour buses coming through, but no one stopped for a chat! Decent gate though, but the night shift really dragged after the traffic dried up in the early hours.

I'm keen to do it at some point and kind of jealous of my friends this year...

Haven't had refunds for duplicate payments hit our accounts yet and we have two situations;

On one account it says £680 deposit paid but says £340 refunded underneath.

On the other account it only says £340 deposit paid. But it's definitely come out of both our accounts so we're hoping that one has just been refunded/rejected automatically. We've emailed to check.

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

Just now, chestwig said:

It would help if oxfam communicate when the heck these things go back into the pot.

Someone here said 6pm... Any truth in that?

they put them on in such small numbers it would be pointless .... they release them as they are processed back in i would think 

1 hour ago, faymondo said:

A few Oxfam spots today according to Distill.

I am fast onto it but no joy as yet for my nephew. 

Anybody have any success ? 

I've seen a few pop up but i've been too slow to nab - they must literally take a second or 2 to get snapped up. Still persevering though.

Edited by Johnnyseven

16 minutes ago, chestwig said:

It would help if oxfam communicate when the heck these things go back into the pot.

Someone here said 6pm... Any truth in that?

I'm sure you're all trying and you'll get there I'm sure...

but this way, they definitely end up with a load of really determined volunteers who are super fucking chuffed to be there *

*and some people who've mastered the art of page monitors! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I've seen a few pop up but i've been too slow to nab - they must literally take a second or 2 to get snapped up. Still persevering though.

How are you monitoring the page? If you can you best bet is to be logged in with a pc or desktop and use the distill extension. 

It's a free plug in, I had mine set to every 15 seconds and to monitor the festival drop down menu, that way if anything is added or removed you will get an alert. You only need to log in to oxfam once, but keep that page open. The fact that it is constantly accessing the site will keep you logged in. The downside is it will notify you every time any festival is added or removed, so will be lots of false alarms.

If you are having to access by phone your options may be limited, but Distill on desktop chrome works for me

56 minutes ago, mazola said:

How are you monitoring the page? If you can you best bet is to be logged in with a pc or desktop and use the distill extension. 

It's a free plug in, I had mine set to every 15 seconds and to monitor the festival drop down menu, that way if anything is added or removed you will get an alert. You only need to log in to oxfam once, but keep that page open. The fact that it is constantly accessing the site will keep you logged in. The downside is it will notify you every time any festival is added or removed, so will be lots of false alarms.

If you are having to access by phone your options may be limited, but Distill on desktop chrome works for me

After a couple of false starts with some other apps on my phone I set Distill up this morning on my laptop and it's working a treat, it's just me that isn't reacting fast enough.