Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 hour ago, incident said:

Not sure that's entirely fair, as it'd still require someone to be in front of a computer when the checker goes off - plenty of people will have jobs where they either have no computer access at all, or just check in periodically.

The poster said people have to be able to refresh constantly or have software to do it for them, that software is available to anyone so not making use of it when they deem it to to be an advantage for other people is a bit of a contradiction.

The process is what it is, if anyone can't get onto the site when a space goes up then there're going to miss out. I'm in exactly the same boat, I have work, meetings and other things which take me away from my tech but i've set up a page checker up and it might alert me at a time I might be available. It's certainly not going to be a hindrance. Complaining that the system isn't fair but then not making use of tools that might be able to help is a bit daft IMO.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

The process is what it is, if anyone can't get onto the site when a space goes up then there're going to miss out. I'm in exactly the same boat, I have work, meetings and other things which take me away from my tech but i've set up a page checker up it could alert me at a time I might be available. It's certainly not going to be a hindrance. Complaining that the system isn't fair but then not making use of tools that might be able to help is a bit daft IMO.

Whilst writing this it appears i've missed out on a space 😞 

Well done to @golden egg

2 minutes ago, penguin_lover said:

Could someone link the proceed page please? 

Refreshing desperately over here! 😅

There isn't a 'proceed page'. When you are able to select Glastonbury you have to tick 3 boxes then hit the Proceed button, if you miss out on the place you can keep the Glastonbury line in the drop down in its non Sold Out state then just keep hitting the Proceed button until, hopefully, a place comes up and you get through to the next page to pay.

5 minutes ago, penguin_lover said:

Thanks! So first hurdle is actually getting Glastonbury to show as available.

I would appear so, I figure that the super speedy people are the ones who just have to hit that button rather than refresh, select Glasto from the drop down, tick the 3 boxes than hit Proceed.

The problem is though, if you leave you computer idle it'll log you out of the Oxfam site and you'll lose your opportunity.

Edited by Johnnyseven

I want to cry 😭 this page has taken over my life. I'm not even sure if my Distill is working properly because I am not getting these periodic updates on the hour...unless the page isn't picking them up because its not changing?

6 minutes ago, APLTree said:

I want to cry 😭 this page has taken over my life. I'm not even sure if my Distill is working properly because I am not getting these periodic updates on the hour...unless the page isn't picking them up because its not changing?

Mine is working but it's not picking up all of of the ones that go super fast it seems, the last couple that people above said they got didn't even register on mine. The shortest check period is 5 secs, if it goes quicker than that it's not going to pick it up.

Edited by Johnnyseven

27 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The poster said people have to be able to refresh constantly or have software to do it for them, that software is available to anyone so not making use of it when they deem it to to be an advantage for other people is a bit of a contradiction.

That software isn't necessarily available to everyone though, at least not everyone at work.

Plenty people have jobs where they're not in front of a computer constantly. Even amongst those that are, some IT departments will lock down what browsers/extensions can be used.

I saw three places before lunchtime today, but none since then, though people on this thread are mentioning some since then.

So I reckon there's probably been at least 7 go thru today, but they may be getting grabbed even more quickly !

Might be reasonable to think there's still plenty will change hands before late June ?

There is going to be a drop in interest over the next week. No way the current level of checking is sustainable without negativity affecting your career for a few days in a field. 

As that interest drops it will become easier for those who persevere 

1 minute ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Might be reasonable to think there's still plenty will change hands before late June ?

Precedent would be that places are likely become available on a fairly frequent basis right up until about June 16th as people find another way in or change their plans.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Precedent would be that places are likely become available on a fairly frequent basis right up until about June 16th as people find another way in or change their plans.

100%.  The game is on right until the Friday before the festival. I’ve bagged a placed myself that late

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Old point but one I add every year. Your motivations to steward with oxfam are irrelevant.  As long as you are contributing during your 8 hour shift, I don’t care why you are there

This is true, I doubt very many are doing it for Oxfam. Most will be using it as a way in.

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Old point but one I add every year. Your motivations to steward with oxfam are irrelevant.  As long as you are contributing during your 8 hour shift, I don’t care why you are there

Hear, hear - You maybe see it more on the FB Oxfam page, but there are some viewpoints I consider a little smug about volunteering.

I tried to buy a ticket, failed twice, and now I'll work the festival for the first time...

And even if I enjoy working it, there's every chance I may try to buy a ticket for next year.

Cos quite frankly, if you can see more, do more, drink more, etc. on a full ticket then why the Hell not ?!?

11 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Absolutely.

Some people can be weirdly precious about this (not the staff, they know what's what)

3 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Cos quite frankly, if you can see more, do more, drink more, etc. on a full ticket then why the Hell not ?!?

That's one side of it.

There are perks and advantages to volunteering.

I'd never go as a punter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Hear, hear - You maybe see it more on the FB Oxfam page, but there are some viewpoints I consider a little smug about volunteering.

I tried to buy a ticket, failed twice, and now I'll work the festival for the first time...

And even if I enjoy working it, there's every chance I may try to buy a ticket for next year.

Get there Monday lunch time if you can. You won’t regret it

2 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

You and most people. And totally reasonable it is too.

There's a fairly sizable number of people (me included) who don't bother trying for tickets and just do it this way now. Not because they want to raise money for Oxfam (it's not like they need me, there's plenty would take my place) but who see it as the best way in. I'm now guaranteed a place for as long as I want, no stress of trying to get a ticket, I've got a great group of friends who do it this way and the positives outway the negatives. 

Then there's those other ones. You know the ones. The Facebook group ones. I swear some of them barely go in to the festival except for shifts.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That's one side of it.

There are perks and advantages to volunteering.

I'd never go as a punter.

Yeah, but we know your score.

You've paid your debt and more besides in the past and now you get the easy jobs 😛

Tip for those using Distill: set up a 5 second reminder as normal but then duplicate it 5/6 times and toggle on/off until they’re staggered. You then have one every second which makes all the difference when they disappear instantly. Worked for me today - I was starting to get pretty disillusioned with it all thinking I wouldn’t get a spot as I don’t work inside at a laptop. There was also definitely a pattern today of them appearing in the hour or half hour mark all afternoon. Good luck to whoever’s still trying. 

• Like 1