Volunteering 2023

neil93

Campaigner is more work - you have to do 4 shifts not 3, and they'll all be on festival days, so no days off Thursday - Sunday

You also don't get a guaranteed place, you have to submit both a video and a written piece about the cause you want to campaign for

It's far from the same thing

41 minutes ago, Cridge said:

Why is it that the campaign places are less popular than the stewarding places?

We don't know that they are.

Campaign is an application/selection process - so they'll accept all applications until a certain date, ending up with more applicants than they have places and select the ones who best fit the role.

Whereas with Stewarding being purely first come first served, it's easier to see it fill up.

26 minutes ago, leath02 said:

You also don't get a guaranteed place, you have to submit both a video and a written piece about the cause you want to campaign for

Yeah this is crucial as well. Anyone applying to campaign (especially if they've not done it before) risks missing out - and as the system doesn't let you apply for more than one role per festival they don't even have a fallback option of stewarding.

39 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

Also wondering this 😂 IV just booked my mate on the campaign just so he can be there 

46 minutes ago, Cridge said:

Why is it that the campaign places are less popular than the stewarding places?

You don't find out if you've got a spot for a few weeks until after they review the application and give you a place.  

32 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Campaigner is more work - you have to do 4 shifts not 3, and they'll all be on festival days, so no days off Thursday - Sunday

It's far from the same thing

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah this is crucial as well. Anyone applying to campaign (especially if they've not done it before) risks missing out - and as the system doesn't let you apply for more than one role per festival they don't even have a fallback option of stewarding.

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You don't find out if you've got a spot for a few weeks until after they review the application and give you a place.  

Ok thanks guys, that's put it in to a bit more context!

I very much lean towards the 'get my shifts - go to the gates - engage, and do everything thats asked of me, on time and completely professionally - then piss off as soon as my shift ends and have an adventure' kind of mindset, the campaign role seems a bit hellishly social for me!

I can kind of understand why people might find stewarding by the gates a bit unengaging - particularly the quieter ones, where you might not even see anyone for a good couple of hours, particularly overnight. Last year i got the famed pre-festival shifts and was positioned at a vehicle gate that was closed, so my shifts consisted of telling people it was locked, and they had to go out another way. 90% ok mate, thanks - 5% grumble - and 5% abuse for something that's utterly out of my control. But the shifts went fairly quickly, i have a good ability to while away time so that was fine for me. A busier gate, probably pedestrian, would go by a lot quicker, and involve a lot more interactions. I dont really mind what i do, though. . .  

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

then piss off as soon as my shift ends

Very much reminds me of my 8pm finish at BoomTown. My shift partner laughs at me still because by 8:01 I had my tabard off and a can in hand. 

My thought was that if I'm drinking they can't ask me to do any last minute tasks "just drop this off at Oxbox would you".

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Very much reminds me of my 8pm finish at BoomTown. My shift partner laughs at me still because by 8:01 I had my tabard off and a can in hand. 

My thought was that if I'm drinking they can't ask me to do any last minute tasks "just drop this off at Oxbox would you".

😆 perfect! in 2019 i was on the vehicle gate in the SE corner, finished my shift at 10pm friday and Gojira were on the Truth stage at 10.10. Could not have been more perfect. Tabard off, big-ass cans of 12% imperial stout cracked, right in front of the stage. Its like the shifts were designed for me! 

2 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Yep, they need to get those filled quickly so we can all go back to jumping whenever the list changes!

Hate to disappoint you but, because it's not first come first served, the shop applications will be open until March 3rd so it will look like there's something available until they close.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Hate to disappoint you but, because it's not first come first served, the shop applications will be open until March 3rd so it will look like there's something available until they close.  

Good! gives us manual refreshers a better chance

• Like 1

For Oxfam campaigning at Glastonbury, also bear in mind that you will have to sign up to campaign at another festival, minimum two. 

Whilst the application window is open, ie up to 1 March (?), I don't think you will be able to apply for any stewarding roles at the same festival, so you will potentially miss out on any stewarding roles that may come up until applications have been decided (not sure how long that takes after cut off date).  There are limited places available.

The campaign role is hard work, but shifts are finished by early evening each day, usually by 6pm, although I think you may be able to finish early if you have reached your daily target?  It is excellent for people who can easily go up to strangers and passionately engage them in whatever the climate pledge is this year, you will need to know your stuff!!  Not for the faint hearted, not an easy route into Glastonbury.   I have never applied but have been very impressed by the passion and energy if those that do this role.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, abiwish said:

Yeh using Distill Chrome Extension, works well and very easy to set up. Do recommend it but it only works when you're on your laptop, so if last year is anything to go by, I think it's going to be tricky for awhile to get one with it, as presume there's lots of people on their laptops in the day, getting the notifications and racing for one spot at a time... last year I got mine by just randomly checking it late at night! 

If you could all stop using your page monitors that would be great 😄🤣😜 

That Would Be Great | Know Your Meme

I will let you all know when its ok to use them again haha 😉 

11 hours ago, abiwish said:

Yeh this is a tricky one, have to say I struggled with the tediousness of Oxfam shifts last year, but Shelter does sound like it would interfere more with seeing acts... 

Plus Shelter have to get a coach from somewhere (possibly only from Bristol, but maybe from Sheffield and London as they used to do). Plus the more packed and noisier campsite. And Oxfam get an extra day. Relatively spoiled they are.

11 hours ago, Greenelk said:

I really don't mind working behind a bar, for me it really is the camping spot and coaches that are my main issue.  I've hit 50, I don't think I could survive a whole week without sleep! 

Beat me to it.

Bar work can go both ways. You may get (un)lucky and get posted to a relatively dead bar. Or you could get a Stonebridge and be stupidly busy pretty much constantly (and also miles away from camp).

50+ here and I was feeling clinically psychotic through lack of sleep in 2019 with a shift still to do. Getting enough sleep between my real life, ridiculously timed shifts is bad enough. "Doof doof doof doof".

9 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I very much lean towards the 'get my shifts - go to the bar - engage, and do everything thats asked of me, on time and completely professionally - then piss off as soon as my shift ends and have an adventure' kind of mindset...

This is the way.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Beat me to it.

Bar work can go both ways. You may get (un)lucky and get posted to a relatively dead bar. Or you could get a Stonebridge and be stupidly busy pretty much constantly (and also miles away from camp).

Even with Oxfam you notice it, a busy shift in the heat and I definitely need a nap before going out.

2 minutes ago, abiwish said:

Same. Interesting no steward spots at all yet, wonder if they're holding off to do a batch as a "resale" of sorts like last year...

Didn't somebody say the earliest was 11 days after last year ?

I know somebody who got one a week before the festival last year.