Pulp to return in 2023

briddj

12 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Sorry if ive missed it. What do we think odds are of them at glasto. Gotta be a sure thing? Headline other? Sub?

I don't think anyone has any info but I'd be amazed if they aren't there personally, given their history and the Glastonbury-shaped hole.

Not sure where they'd play but sub or Other headline seem likely. Personally I think they could just about headline, but you'll get shot to pieces for saying that in the Headliners thread (I don't think all headliners just be stratospheric mega stars personally, though).

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't think anyone has any info but I'd be amazed if they aren't there personally, given their history and the Glastonbury-shaped hole.

Not sure where they'd play but sub or Other headline seem likely. Personally I think they could just about headline, but you'll get shot to pieces for saying that in the Headliners thread (I don't think all headliners just be stratospheric mega stars personally, though).

I would love to see Pulp headline. Given Glastos demographic i think the field would be packed. 

Re setlist, worth bearing in mind that Russell Senior is not involved in this reunion. He was a strong driver of Pulp until he left after Different Class (I would heartily recommend his memoir Freak Out The Squares).

I think in 2011/12, one of the reasons they didn't play much from their last two albums (aside from them not containing the pop hitz of DC and HnH) was out of respect for Russell. Indeed, the festival sets saw him take a break off-stage for the songs he wasn't involved in. But this amounted to two songs only, This Is Hardcore and Sunrise.

With those shackles off, I'd expect a lot more rotation from Hardcore (ie the four singles and Like A Friend) and a little more from We Love Life (Bad Cover Version, Trees) and hopefully After You, the one-off 2013 single originally recorded during the WLL era but reworked with James Murphy during the reunion.

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Someone said they'd heard they were subbing AM

2 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Big tone shift from Jarvis banging out stone cold crowd favourite classics to Turner Vic Reeves crooning his way through an hour or so of all the new stuff that sounds exactly the same.

That's why I want the ultimate tone shift with bmth below pulp as well

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They would almost be the perfect headliners, will not be the same if they are subs. Really grates on me that headliners have to be regarded as stadium straddling behemoths these days.

Pulp, Nick Cave, Wolf Alice. I'd take that in a heartbeat over what's being rumoured over in the headliners thread.

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

I saw a line saying Richard Hawley will be with them for Sheffield... SURELY he will be at all of them?

This will be my first ever Pulp gig and I'm a lifelong fan. I've watched the Reading gig countless times, particularly for the Sunrise moment... it's otherworldly.

There's gonna be so many moments where I may cry. Oh man.

I'd kind of assumed Hawley would be playing with them, as he did during the last reunion tour. 
Was super lucky and able to snag tickets for the Bridlington gig. It's a mega long way from Devon but will be totally worth it. 

18 minutes ago, ericlered said:

They would almost be the perfect headliners, will not be the same if they are subs. Really grates on me that headliners have to be regarded as stadium straddling behemoths these days.

Pulp, Nick Cave, Wolf Alice. I'd take that in a heartbeat over what's being rumoured over in the headliners thread.

100% agree. Also, we are going to run out of behemoths soon anyway and just have to start circling back through them.

Nabbed a couple of Finsbury tickets just before they sold out. Regretted not seeing them on their last tour (apart from the Park set which was a classic). Plenty of Northern dates but all a bit awkward to get back from without a hotel anyway.

On the subject, I think a Pyramid headline set would go down really well on the night, though I expect they will sub or headline other.

Got Sunday Neighbourhood tickets. Worked out probably the cheapest option as would have needed accommodation and a dog sitter if we went for Sheffield and there’s a couple of other great acts on the bill so treated ourselves to VIP tickets as I thought demand for those would be less. 

Relatively easy effort getting Cardiff tickets through See, gutted we don't get Wet Leg, who do we reckon the support will be? Pulp are one of the last great big bands I wanna see so I'm ecstatic either way. Hopefully Blur is as easy when they announce their shows. 

Edited by OddRon

12 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Relatively easy effort getting Cardiff tickets through See, gutted we don't get Wet Leg, who do we reckon the support will be? Pulp are one of the last great big bands I wanna see so I'm ecstatic either way. Hopefully Blur is as easy when they announce their shows. 

I think Blur would sell out in minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It would be like today in that it would sell quickly, but not instantly.

Not sure about that - by today's sometimes hysterical standards of ticket sales, Pulp took around an hour to sell out London - which I was surprsied by tbh. Maybe due to them headlining other festivals? Most of the recent big gig announcements - AM tour, Fender at St Jame's Park went within 20 minutes. Blur also have a lot more popoular songs than Pulp. In my humble opinion.

Edited by Nestacres

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

If they did other they'd steal the pyramid headliner's crowd - especially if against GNR. they'd fit well under elton or AM