Any one still on site?

watsonjm

Is anyone on here still on site?  Just wondering what's its like at this stage of the tear down?  Still a sense of elation for a cracking job well done or more of a 'its done, I just want to get home?'   

Are any of the crew bars still there or have these all gone now? (how quick do they go if lots of people are still around?) 

I always which I could stay longer and be part of putting everything back to normal (without a career change this isn't happening any time soon) but I guess at some stage everyone just wants to get home? 

10 hours ago, Spindles said:

A dude on reddit has been posting pics from the same spot since the early days of the site build, most recent pics from yesterday:

Right then, that's it! That really is it! If you don't let me marry you and have your 'Love Child' than I'm calling the whole thing off! 

That aside, that's a fairly funky existence that that person is witnessing and sharing.

13 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yes...lovely place, lovely people. Hanoi is especially delightful. 

Hanoi was my favourite place too. We started there and went top to bottom when we went. I liked Hoi An a lot too, but did not rate the Mekong Delta. 

51 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Hanoi was my favourite place too. We started there and went top to bottom when we went. I liked Hoi An a lot too, but did not rate the Mekong Delta. 

Ha I picked up gastroenteritis in Mekong Delta...spent a vile 3 days in hotel room in Nha Trang I'd rather forget 😕

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Ha I picked up gastroenteritis in Mekong Delta...spent a vile 3 days in hotel room in Nha Trang I'd rather forget 😕

I did my bout of DnV in Ha Long Bay - it started an hour or two before we got on the boat, for a trip which started with a ten course tasting menu... ☹️

Had to sit and watch Mrs B eat it all and tell me how nice it was, while I just looked at it. Waiter took pity on me in the end and I got some toast 😂

We got a bus from HCM to the Mekong trip, with the most irritating guide ever. He had these weird American affectations, wouldn't stop talking, referred to himself as Handsome Slim ("My name is Lim, but you can call me Handsome Slim"), made a lot of sleazy comments and also took a piss in a bottle stood in the corner of our minibus... 😐

Edited by blutarsky

On 7/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Vietnam is my most favourite country. I've been twice, but 'need' to go back again. 

We loved it too. My son worked in Haiphong for a while which gave us the excuse. We met an American who was incarcerated in the Hanoi Hilton alongside Sen. John McCain. And won't forget going down the Vietnamese Cu Chi tunnels....

mekong (605).JPG

6 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I did my bout of DnV in Ha Long Bay - it started an hour or two before we got on the boat, for a trip which started with a ten course tasting menu... ☹️

Had to sit and watch Mrs B eat it all and tell me how nice it was, while I just looked at it. Waiter took pity on me in the end and I got some toast 😂

We got a bus from HCM to the Mekong trip, with the most irritating guide ever. He had these weird American affectations, wouldn't stop talking, referred to himself as Handsome Slim ("My name is Lim, but you can call me Handsome Slim"), made a lot of sleazy comments and also took a piss in a bottle stood in the corner of our minibus... 😐

I picked up a stomach bug on a boat trip within Bai Tu Long Bay. My wife went to dinner alone and the captain asked where I was. She told him that I was ill. The next thing I know he is at the door of our cabin and hands me a tablet, says 'take this', you'll be better within 2 hours. And he was right, I was better. Unfortunately I have no idea what the tablet was. And then about the 2 hour mark the door was knocked on again. I opened it and in walked a couple of the staff with very delightful food that had been made up specially for me, as I had missed the main dinner. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

We loved it too. My son worked in Haiphong for a while which gave us the excuse. We met an American who was incarcerated in the Hanoi Hilton alongside Sen. John McCain. And won't forget going down the Vietnamese Cu Chi tunnels....

mekong (605).JPG

I am very anti-violence and guns and things etc. However, I was given the chance to fire off a few rounds from an AK47, so I did. *  

* - I also picked up the shells from the floor to keep as a souvenir. Then I got caught with them at the airport on the way to Singapore. The Vietnamese security were, quite rightly, shaking their heads at my unbelievable stupidity. So they confiscated them. Then I got on the plane and there in front of me (on the back of the seat in front of me) was a warning which included a bullet with a red 'NO' arrow through it!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe ciprofloxacin?

I've just spoken to my wife and she confirms that it very possibly that. I say that because she did take a note of what the tablet was and looked it up when we got back (this was in 2019) and confirms that it was an antibiotic of some sort. Oh, and she tells me that I was given and took 2 tablets not one.

Thanks for pointing that out tom me, as if I ever go to the Far East again (Please God, make that a thing) I will try to get a hold of some.*

I first went to Vietnam with a couple of mates (British Airways Business Class there and back for £120! It pays to know somebody within BA. Thanks H if you are reading this). I went to a chemist and got a hold of some Valium. Three days later my mates asked me to stop taking them. I asked why, and they told me that it was because I had become a 'mong'.