Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

8 minutes ago, VCF said:

That’s underwhelming to say the least.

For someone coming from the UK that Thursday is huge though. The 1975 into Sam Fender into Stormzy!

True. That's a Leeds/Reading festivalgoer dreams come true.

For me that's THE WORST Werchter line-up in years. And there was still Billie Eilish in the round to make it worse for me...

I'm sure it WILL BE a blast but no one from my friends is interested in going so....let's pray for 2024 !!  (and I'm hoping it WON'T happen 04-07.2024 as I have 2 Metallica gigs planned for that weekend already :P) 

7 minutes ago, heti said:

True. That's a Leeds/Reading festivalgoer dreams come true.

For me that's THE WORST Werchter line-up in years. And there was still Billie Eilish in the round to make it worse for me...

I'm sure it WILL BE a blast but no one from my friends is interested in going so....let's pray for 2024 !!  (and I'm hoping it WON'T happen 04-07.2024 as I have 2 Metallica gigs planned for that weekend already :P) 

Unless a switch needs to be made for a headliner, it's always the first days of July. I think you're out of luck because of Metallica. Still, it's Metallica!!

Do you think that Stormzy is the first step to have more and more hip hop headliner and less pop rock headliner. 

There is a lack of big young pop rock act apart from Maneskin (in the near future), twenty one pilot and Imagine Dragons. 

Bands like Royal Blood, NBT, GvF will never have the popularity that Muse, RHCP, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foo Fighters... have now. 

People listen less and less pop rock and more and more Hip Hop, électro. 

• Upvote 1

Hi, I know this question isn't about the line-up but I've been trying to find information about campervans without a VASP certificate and whether they have a place for them on the camping? My bro is the drummer in Kelsey Karter and the Heroines and I can not wait to see them on stage!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P.bintein said:

Do you think that Stormzy is the first step to have more and more hip hop headliner and less pop rock headliner. 

There is a lack of big young pop rock act apart from Maneskin (in the near future), twenty one pilot and Imagine Dragons. 

Bands like Royal Blood, NBT, GvF will never have the popularity that Muse, RHCP, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foo Fighters... have now. 

quite the opposite actually.

miley cyrus, olivia rodrigo etc... the young "artists" sound more and more rocky than they used to, and it is seen in the US. Shows like "Stranger things" gave a little push to  metallica and Ghost in front of the youngest ones, Billie Eilish showed herself with a taylor hawkins shirt (the now ex-foo fighters drummer) at the grammys, .. even Emo genre is making a "come back" in the charts thanks to McR return, with bands like Palaye Royale, Paramore's reunion, Motionless in White, and now the new Fall Out Boy album which sounds like the old days, etc...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, P.bintein said:

It's the legacy of the 2010's really, given that while a lot of rock acts came through to popularity in the 90's and 00's, the genre seemed to struggle to get a look in.

But as said above...

2 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

quite the opposite actually.

miley cyrus, olivia rodrigo etc... the young "artists" sound more and more rocky than they used to, and it is seen in the US. Shows like "Stranger things" gave a little push to  metallica and Ghost in front of the youngest ones, Billie Eilish showed herself with a taylor hawkins shirt (the now ex-foo fighters drummer) at the grammys, .. even Emo genre is making a "come back" in the charts thanks to McR return, with bands like Palaye Royale, Paramore's reunion, Motionless in White, and now the new Fall Out Boy album which sounds like the old days, etc...

... the appetite for bands is still around and there's acts with a rock influence getting decent gig slots. Whether it can necessarily be sustained or create a new wave of headline-worthy bands is another matter, but the audience is there.

On this day 10 years ago RW added Sigur Rós, Of Monsters and Men, Band of Horses, 30 Seconds to Mars, Graveyard, Airbourne, Phoenix, Bloc Party, Two Door Cinema Club among other bands....adding to Depeche Mode, Rammstein, Green Day, Blur, Kings of Leon, Volbeat, Editors and others...oh how the mighty as fallen 😉

...no, not all of these bands are my kind of music, but the over-all lineup is miles better then the current one!

46 minutes ago, Gossard said:

On this day 10 years ago RW added Sigur Rós, Of Monsters and Men, Band of Horses, 30 Seconds to Mars, Graveyard, Airbourne, Phoenix, Bloc Party, Two Door Cinema Club among other bands....adding to Depeche Mode, Rammstein, Green Day, Blur, Kings of Leon, Volbeat, Editors and others...oh how the mighty as fallen 😉

...no, not all of these bands are my kind of music, but the over-all lineup is miles better then the current one!

Yeah no, I prefer this years line up over that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gossard said:

This Thursday must be the worst day in the history of Werchter! ...but at least we have Iggy Pop and the beer is fine 😉 

I would argue its not even the worst day of the weekend so far. 

And still about ten acts missing, including a strong Barn name.

Edited by VCF
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gossard said:

I mean Editors are still around and playing this as well tbf. But I'm aware it's all acquired tastes.

2014 is the Werchter line-up I was most jealous of not being at in fairness.

Bloc Party would be a fun addition!

Seemingly in the minority on here but that Thursday night looks brilliant for me and my group. Think we're leaning towards just pulling the trigger on this festival early rather than waiting to see if we can pull of Glastonbury resale tickets.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean Editors are still around and playing this as well tbf. But I'm aware it's all acquired tastes.

2014 is the Werchter line-up I was most jealous of not being at in fairness.

For me 2009 was the best with Oasis, Placebo, Prodigy, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, The Killers, Bloc Party, Elbow, Kings of Leon, Nick Cave, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Röyksopp and Mars Volta.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

For me 2009 was the best with Oasis, Placebo, Prodigy, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, The Killers, Bloc Party, Elbow, Kings of Leon, Nick Cave, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Röyksopp and Mars Volta.

Oh yeah, that was a party of a lifetime. And we had ONLY 2 stages back then 😄

• Upvote 1

Below a summary of what's missing per day and per stage in order to manage expectations for the next announcements.

- All headliners (at least for the main) seem to be in.

- ±35 bands still to be announced with The Slope missing the most names

Thursday (11)

Main: 2   The Barn: 1   KlubC: 3   The Slope: 5

Friday (7)

Main: 2   The Barn: 1   KlubC: 1   The Slope: 3

Saturday (10)

Main: 1   The Barn: 2   KlubC: 2   The Slope: 5

Sunday (7)

Main: 2   The Barn: 1   KlubC: 2   The Slope: 2

All days (35)

Main: 7   The Barn: 5   KlubC: 8   The Slope: 15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Impressive. Might've been tricky for me to make that given it was during my GCSE exams though aha.

2014 and 2018 are two I'd considered hopping over the Channel for tbf. That 2013 one up above is also a good looking one, while 2010 had a few I'd see dotted around.