Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

My best guess (and hope?) at the moment is GnR. If they put a big pop name on Friday following Stromae on Thursday the top-tier of the lineup will be less diverse and they risk to lose a big part of their regulars.

For Oscar & The Wolf I was not expecting something big before Muse (still bigger than this though and more rock oriented) so I was not that surprised. But a solo announcement after a month of silence?!? The really bad news for me today was blur @Roskilde which probably means they are out for RW 😞

2 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

My best guess (and hope?) at the moment is GnR. If they put a big pop name on Friday following Stromae on Thursday the top-tier of the lineup will be less diverse and they risk to lose a big part of their regulars.

So, two rock oriented days + two pop oriented days would be less diverse than 3 rock oriented days + 1 pop oriented? That is an interesting take. 

Besides, GnR is really too outdated and shite live to headline RW. 

4 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

For Oscar & The Wolf I was not expecting something big before Muse (still bigger than this though and more rock oriented) so I was not that surprised. But a solo announcement after a month of silence?!? The really bad news for me today was blur @Roskilde which probably means they are out for RW 😞

I’m out of upvotes but I would give you one if I could; they need a big rock name after today, especially after (likely) losing out on Blur. If it’s the majority of the names being discussed on here I would definitely be looking elsewhere 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 49Lawson said:

I’m out of upvotes but I would give you one if I could; they need a big rock name after today, especially after (likely) losing out on Blur. If it’s the majority of the names being discussed on here I would definitely be looking elsewhere 

Yes same here! If Blur aren´t playing in combination with another pop act on Friday I will probably consider doing Prima Vera instead. Having said that, Werchter usually compensates with good undercards if the headliner is shite. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Yes same here! If Blur aren´t playing in combination with another pop act on Friday I will probably consider doing Prima Vera instead. Having said that, Werchter usually compensates with good undercards if the headliner is shite. 

Yeah Primavera is looking favourite as my replacement festival next year (depending on what Mad Cool come up with). Just a shame as Prima looks like it costs a small fortune by the time you factor in hotels and travel etc 

Just now, mikebat said:

Maybe a metal act, we already have 2 days with rock headliner..

AC/DC ? too big.
Slipknot ? too extreme ?

Or an old school act like Pet Shop boys ?

I take back my previous statement. Pet Shop Boys is the only pop act I would be happy about on the Friday. They are actually a great live act!

24 minutes ago, mikebat said:

Maybe a metal act, we already have 2 days with rock headliner..

AC/DC ? too big.
Slipknot ? too extreme ?

Or an old school act like Pet Shop boys ?

Pet Shop Boys are playing festivals like Lokerse Feesten and Brussels Summer Festivals these days. They'd be a Barn act at best...

9 minutes ago, EV123 said:

So, two rock oriented days + two pop oriented days would be less diverse than 3 rock oriented days + 1 pop oriented? That is an interesting take.

With diversity I was mostly referring to the type of crowd these bands appeal to. So far you've got the youth in and the fans of mainstream pop/soft rock. A heavier or more unique/nostalgic/classic/whatever headliner, whether that's rock, metal or Alt, is missing imo. In the likes of SOAD, PJ, TOOL, Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead, Depeche Mode and so on... I agree that GnR might not be the best live act ever but it will attract a different audience that is core to RW for many years. 

20 minutes ago, DDave said:

AC/DC makes sense, doubt they'd want to risk putting on a full tour and did mention playing a few festivals a while ago. Can see them doing Nos/MC and RW. As for too big? Metallica are bigger, surely? 

AC/DC would be a dream but they are not easy with festivals, that's why they rarely appear on any (not to mention that they will sell out any stadium anywhere easily).  Unless they have dropped the demand to have their own stage nowadays. 

30 minutes ago, DDave said:

AC/DC makes sense, doubt they'd want to risk putting on a full tour and did mention playing a few festivals a while ago. Can see them doing Nos/MC and RW. As for too big? Metallica are bigger, surely? 

i think Metallica are bigger, but ACDC are the bigger Draw due to the rarity

ACDC would probably demand their own stage like they did with Download though, which is still insane