Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

3 hours ago, Ken19 said:

It is with a good reason. 
Very soon more. 

That's good news! My assumption for the delay is that the Friday headliner, whoever it is, wasn't ready to announce just yet. But I was expecting them to announce at least blur this past week if they had booked them. 

Btw @Ken19 any chance you'll drop by more often and add some fun to this place? 🙂

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Createur said:

They don't. Mad Cool and Primavera Madrid won't share a headliner.

Yeah, I should've put a full stop instead of a question mark. It's still intriguing that so many festivals are all announcing in the same week after being mostly silent far longer than previous years. Obviously they all want to get something out and the tickets rolling before christmas, but I'd expect them announcing at least a couple of headliners by now (like Werchter did), especially if they're as uninspired as qotsa, am, muse or the like.

1 hour ago, ThijsDB said:

Technically possible but unlikely because he's touring USA/Canada from early July.

Those were actually last year's dates (reposted).

6 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Someone found a ticketmaster page of a Brussels stadium show for The Weeknd in 2023 (yet to be announced). That's why we don't really count on him.

Good to know!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ohad said:

But, really, is there any precedent from the last decade or so when a pop artist like the weeknd headlined RW? I even doubted Pink was a reasonable fit at the time

P!nk blew my mind back in 2013, the show was WAY better than Rammstein (and I'm a R+ fan).

However I think Stromae is enough in terms of non-rock headliners. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, heti said:

P!nk blew my mind back in 2013, the show was WAY better than Rammstein (and I'm a R+ fan).

However I think Stromae is enough in terms of non-rock headliners. But that's just my opinion.

I love to have a lot of variety between the headliners. (And between the editions of RW too, wich is why the current headliners arent doing it for me so far...)

12 minutes ago, heti said:

Yeah, I came to realize she gives a hell of a show. I guess that's why Kendrick is also a worthy headliner for RW and other, big rappers aren't so much.

What I was saying is just that by going through Pinks greatest hits I wouldn't think of her as a good fit - a bit like the weeknd, or Taylor swift (whose name was mentioned here previously)

Edited by Ohad

15 minutes ago, Ohad said:

Yeah, I came to realize she gives a hell of a show. I guess that's why Kendrick is also a worthy headliner for RW and other, big rappers aren't so much.

I woud love Jay Z to make a return to RW. His 2008 show is not only one of the best hiphop shows I have seen, but als one of the best shows I have ever seen at Rock Werchter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, heti said:

This is it for me as well. I don’t mind one non-rock headliner each year but at the end of the day, it’s called Rock Werchter. I don’t go to Wireless or Tomorrowland forums and demand that they start booking Pearl Jam and Metallica. 

I am aware that I sound very “old man yells at cloud” when this subject comes up but I always think that a lot of festivals would have better ticket sales if they focus on one or two genres or a specific style of music instead of trying to over diversify their line ups 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

This is it for me as well. I don’t mind one non-rock headliner each year but at the end of the day, it’s called Rock Werchter. I don’t go to Wireless or Tomorrowland forums and demand that they start booking Pearl Jam and Metallica. 

I am aware that I sound very “old man yells at cloud” when this subject comes up but I always think that a lot of festivals would have better ticket sales if they focus on one or two genres or a specific style of music instead of trying to over diversify their line ups 

I fell in love for Rock Werchter 15 years ago just because they book diverse. The run of Slayer - Jay-Z - The Verve - Neil Young - Moby on the main stage was magical. And what was the last truly big rock headliner that could headline Rock Werchter? Arctic Monkeys, who are around since 2005? 😅 The big new headliners are not to be found in what you call "rock". 

Good music is good music. I loved the 2020 set of headliners for instance. Going from The Strokes to SOAD to Kendrick Lamar to Faith No More to 21 Pilots to Pearl Jam. But maybe I am too naive to think that most people enjoy a lot of kinds of music. 

• Upvote 5