The 1975

NorthernSoul52

2 hours ago, circus92 said:

Their debut is probably my favourite and in particular the deluxe version.  Some of the deep cuts on the deluxe version are some of my favs - like Undo, Fallingforyou, Me, You, Antichrist.  Add in Robbers, Sex, Heart Out, Settle Down, The City and Chocolate from the main album and its pretty hard to beat.

That being said, I would agree with @JayDiesel in that I would probably not recommend starting with the debut - the best place for me to start with if you have Spotify is the "This is The 1975" playlist.  That will give a good mix from all the albums- you will find the likes of Somebody Else, About You, The Sound etc quite high up on that list, and also the absolute banger that is Love It If We Made it.

The playlist idea is a good shout; The 1975 are a great band, but they have often struggled with consistent albums, so a greatest hits best of is deifintely a good idea. An album like NOACF is a good example of their up and down form, it has 4/5 of their greatest ever songs on it, as well as 9/10 completely forgettable tracks

2 hours ago, circus92 said:

That being said, I would agree with @JayDiesel in that I would probably not recommend starting with the debut - the best place for me to start with if you have Spotify is the "This is The 1975" playlist.  That will give a good mix from all the albums- you will find the likes of Somebody Else, About You, The Sound etc quite high up on that list, and also the absolute banger that is Love It If We Made it.

I was gonna recommend that myself. The band have had good singles through their entire lifetime, so the modern version of a greatest hits is a good way to get into them. Varied enough to paint a complete picture too.

14 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Thanks for the tips folks but they're just not for me. Other than the intro track to the 1st album I've not liked a single song.

Least I gave it a go though eh 

If you liked the intro track then you might like a few of their more ambient/post-rock influenced songs like lostmyhead, About You, Haunt // Bed, Please Be Naked etc., I do like most of their stuff but I think they're at their best when making songs like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

Thanks for the tips folks but they're just not for me. Other than the intro track to the 1st album I've not liked a single song.

Least I gave it a go though eh 

No worries.  Fair play for trying.  Out of interest, did you listen past the first three or was that enough?

15 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

It is, although it generally seems to be down to nostalgia than anything. I love them, but I find their debut album to be by far their weakest.

Not sure it’s worse overall than the incredibly bloated NOACF but it’s certainly their least interesting. The singles bang but the other stuff like M.O.N.E.Y. should’ve been cut in favour of some of the stuff from the early EPs that only made it onto the deluxe version. Also (with the honorary exception of Menswear) the production is nowhere near the levels they hit from the second album onwards. 

My ranking changes constantly but currently: 

A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships

I Like It When You Sleep

Being Funny In A Foreign Language

(big gap)

The 1975

Notes on a Conditional Form

8 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not sure it’s worse overall than the incredibly bloated NOACF but it’s certainly their least interesting. The singles bang but the other stuff like M.O.N.E.Y. should’ve been cut in favour of some of the stuff from the early EPs that only made it onto the deluxe version. Also (with the honorary exception of Menswear) the production is nowhere near the levels they hit from the second album onwards.

Yeah that I'd certainly agree with. I think it's partially because I didn't really start listening to them until around 2018, and by that point so many bands were trying/had tried to replicate their 2013 sound (LANY, COIN, The Band Camino etc) that it became quite stale to me. 

• Upvote 1

Saw them last night in Dublin. Absolutely class, seeing the full 26 song setlist I was delighted we had no guests as I wouldn't have wanted them to actually drop any of the songs they played. 

One gripe I did have is the fans voting for Menswear over Paris, democracy doesn't always function in the right way 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

Saw them last night in Dublin. Absolutely class, seeing the full 26 song setlist I was delighted we had no guests as I wouldn't have wanted them to actually drop any of the songs they played. 

One gripe I did have is the fans voting for Menswear over Paris, democracy doesn't always function in the right way 

That's a shocking vote, smh. In Cardiff, we voted for Paris over Change of Heart, but I'd have been happy with either tbh. 

That being said, 'Mr Serotonin Man, Lend me a Gram / You call yourself a friend?' is the best lyric Matty ever wrote

6 hours ago, Punisher said:

The 1975 are playing R1 Big Weekend. I guess this is the other UK festival they’re headlining that Matty was referring to.

525A7E37-A302-4B3A-B2E3-2BA1ED9366F0.jpeg

Ah, that's a pity. (Not for Dundee, clearly.)

Menswear has an enduring popularity for a certain section. It may be the last time it gets any semi-regular airing - given it missed plenty of US shows, think Chocolate's days might be numbered.

From the first two albums, there's four - SexRobbersSomebody Else and The Sound - that seem like they'll be mainstays forever. Do wonder in a couple of albums down the line how they will have slimmed down the package of songs they adore from A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships. (The ruthless response to Notes on a Conditional Form means they have little trouble there...)

5 hours ago, reflekting said:

I was there too. I’d say someone has had a word with yer man about his pothole tendencies. He wasn’t as bad last night. Thought they were really good. If they did a JP set this year as some are predicting I’d be there. I think it’d be all the better for being stripped down staging-wise. Less opportunity for Matty Healy-ness.

Edited by CiaranMc

2 hours ago, CiaranMc said:

I was there too. I’d say someone has had a word with yer man about his pothole tendencies. He wasn’t as bad last night. Thought they were really good. If they did a JP set this year as some are predicting I’d be there. I think it’d be all the better for being stripped down staging-wise. Less opportunity for Matty Healy-ness.

Surely they are much too big now for a John Peel set?

Last night of tour in Belfast tonight and they were fucking incredible - what a show!  There were so many highlights …. but the best was when they played “Me” for the first time in years - couldn’t believe what I was hearing when it came on. 

On 1/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Ah, that's a pity. (Not for Dundee, clearly.)

Menswear has an enduring popularity for a certain section. It may be the last time it gets any semi-regular airing - given it missed plenty of US shows, think Chocolate's days might be numbered.

From the first two albums, there's four - SexRobbersSomebody Else and The Sound - that seem like they'll be mainstays forever. Do wonder in a couple of albums down the line how they will have slimmed down the package of songs they adore from A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships. (The ruthless response to Notes on a Conditional Form means they have little trouble there...)

Give Yourself A Try is the only one from ABEIOL that I can see being absolutely guaranteed at every show down the line. Two Time and It’s Not Living will surely be relegated into the same ‘sometimes but not always’ category as Chocolate, Me & You Together Song and A Change of Heart, eventually. 

Wouldn't mind if The Sound were to be locked into the same basement as Love Me and People. Especially if it meant more room for the disrespected album tracks from NOACF like Nothing Revealed/Everything Denied and Tonight (I Wish I Was Your Boy) to get trotted out occasionally. But that’s clearly very optimistic of me. 

On 1/31/2023 at 1:39 AM, Punisher said:

The plans for the rumoured 1975 music event in Wilmslow have been withdrawn:

https://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/23011/plans-for-large-music-event-on-wilmslow-playing-fields-withdrawn

now announced they’re headlining Parklife so presumably because of that