The 1975

NorthernSoul52

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

It’s like arguing a Jack Russell is bigger than a Pug. Ultimately they’re both small dogs, and there are much bigger ones out there

I like this one. 😆

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I’d say the 1975 are much bigger in their own lane than Foals, but the problem the 1975 have is credibility. They’ve done a piss poor job establishing themselves as a credible band outside of people who are obsessed with them.

While The 1975 have more fans, I’d say Foals have done a better job at cross-appeal. 

Would beg to differ, but I can see your point. There are vociferous fans of The 1975 out there. There are less so for Foals.

55 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I reckon they could twist it to say that Glastonbury is putting sufficient effort in or something. Its definitely closer than others and has that charity element as well even if its not exactly 50/50. Not that it'd be that easy to count up across all the stages and get an exact number...

Sounds par for the course. Doubt they'd stick to it, or the prospects of playing R+L/TRNSMT again - where they are likely reliable headline options - would sink through the floor.

Well, there we have it. An autumn release for Being Funny In A Foreign Language, on October 14, with Part of the Band to impact radio tonight.

Sam Ryder's record looks to be the main chart competition that week, but even with the success of Space Man, I can't necessarily seeing it doing comparable numbers, unless the former is faaaaar bigger than I give him credit for, or the The 1975 have gone off a cliff.

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Well, there we have it. An autumn release for Being Funny In A Foreign Language, on October 14, with Part of the Band to impact radio tonight.

Sam Ryder's record looks to be the main chart competition that week, but even with the success of Space Man, I can't necessarily seeing it doing comparable numbers, unless the former is faaaaar bigger than I give him credit for, or the The 1975 have gone off a cliff.

Man imagine if they got blocked by Sam Ryder.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, mattiloy said:

Would be a contender for worst headliner of all time

Up there for sure. But it's unlikely anyone will ever beat Mumford and Sons. What was Michael Eavis thinking? Even the band were surprised to be asked. I think ME apologised later.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, charlie.light said:

Expand Matt, I do think the new song is basically a remake of 91 by bleachers 

Just feels like now they are pulling directly from influences rather than establishing an identity of their own.

”how cool would it be if we made a 90s teen movie sounding track?”

”how cool would it be if we made a Marilyn Manson sounding track?”

”how cool would it be if we made a Bon iver track?”

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just feels like now they are pulling directly from influences rather than establishing an identity of their own.

”how cool would it be if we made a 90s teen movie sounding track?”

”how cool would it be if we made a Marilyn Manson sounding track?”

”how cool would it be if we made a Bon iver track?”

They’ve never been particularly original. Song on their first album rips off All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem pretty obviously, amongst others. They’ve always been a pastiche of other stuff and made their influences painfully clear, for better or for worse - they just have so many influences that it sounds like they’re genre bending geniuses to some rather than just nicking tons of ideas from all over the place. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

They’ve never been particularly original. Song on their first album rips off All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem pretty obviously, amongst others. They’ve always been a pastiche of other stuff and made their influences painfully clear, for better or for worse - they just have so many influences that it sounds like they’re genre bending geniuses to some rather than just nicking tons of ideas from all over the place. 

Exactly that. Their fans just haven’t listened to enough music. I know that is arsey to say but it’s genius to people who can’t see exactly who they are ripping off.

Pretty smooth, nothing to write home about. Going off recent album roll outs they seem to test the waters first and then the second song released is the big hitter i.e. Love Me / The Sound; Give Yourself a Try / Love It If We Made It; Frail State of Mind / If You’re Too Shy Let Me Know (albeit The Birthday Party did come out between those two from Notes).

Lets see what comes next. A Brief Inquiry was a shorter album and probably their most acclaimed, so I’m hoping this new album follows the same route.

Given it a couple of spins. A grower, I think. Will be curious to see how that vibe spills over onto the record.

Not a particularly commercial viable one though, I'll admit. Could sink like a stone. Pains me to say, but not sure it's going to fire up the album sales .

11 hours ago, big hog said:

Wish Pyramid was on the cards, but we'll just get an incredible Other Stage set instead.

I'm starting to get the sense that while I - and a fair few others on here - do think they're big enough to top the Pyramid, a hyper-strength card elsewhere might make them one of the biggest Other toppers in years. We'll see.

I have to admit, I just don't...get 1975?

I understand they are popular but I don't think I've ever met a single fan. I go to dozens of indie/rock gigs (well did before Covid) every year and don't think I ever encountered a 1975 fan at one.

Weren't they manufactured/put together in the lab of a record label? Or is that an apocryphal rumour?

Their songs are just meh.

Or am I just Principal Skinner?

888.jpg

Just now, Major_Tom108 said:

I have to admit, I just don't...get 1975?

I understand they are popular but I don't think I've ever met a single fan. I go to dozens of indie/rock gigs (well did before Covid) every year and don't think I ever encountered a 1975 fan at one.

Weren't they manufactured/put together in the lab of a record label? Or is that an apocryphal rumour?

Their songs are just meh.

Or am I just Principal Skinner?

888.jpg

Quality meme.

They were very big in the younger circles a decade ago - sort of bubblegum shiny pop rock - but was surprised at the cross-spread in age and gender when I saw them in 2019 and 2020 on their arena shows, which in themselves were rapid-fire sellouts.

I don't think they're necessarily quite the shameless pilferers many find them to be, but nor are they musical geniuses either. What they generally do have is an ear for a pulse-point lyric and a hook. I've never been inclined to dismiss them on the basis of the old "teenage girls love 'em" argument, and that's probably how me - and I imagine the older generation I saw there without their kids in tow - fell in with them too.

That's the beauty of music though. One person's cup of tea is another's vial of poison, and that's completely alright!

To your point though, I don't think the majority of their fans are traditional indie/rock fans. You are more likely to find 'em at a stadium pop show - saw a flurry of folk wearing their shirts at a Muse gig, for some strange reason, a few years ago, and then spotted a bunch likewise at Taylor Swift. It is an interesting one.

They are a band that you either grow out of or just transition into a full time weirdo to like them. They’ve released countless albums and yet still don’t have a sound which is attributable to them.

This “omg they don’t have a genre” is just bollocks. It’s ripping off other artists and presenting it as something unique or innovative to people who just simply don’t know better.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They are a band that you either grow out of or just transition into a full time weirdo to like them. They’ve released countless albums and yet still don’t have a sound which is attributable to them.

This “omg they don’t have a genre” is just bollocks. It’s ripping off other artists and presenting it as something unique or innovative to people who just simply don’t know better.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

I like them but that's an absolute zinger hahahaha

On 7/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, StevieGed said:

Pretty smooth, nothing to write home about. Going off recent album roll outs they seem to test the waters first and then the second song released is the big hitter i.e. Love Me / The Sound; Give Yourself a Try / Love It If We Made It; Frail State of Mind / If You’re Too Shy Let Me Know (albeit The Birthday Party did come out between those two from Notes).

Lets see what comes next. A Brief Inquiry was a shorter album and probably their most acclaimed, so I’m hoping this new album follows the same route.

44 minutes supposedly. Sounds like they’ve learnt their lesson from NOACF and hired an editor.