Primavera Sound Porto 2023

Tigane

10 minutes ago, young_contra said:

Price gap has always been similar to that, no news there. I can’t not see Blur here, but those are just my 2cents

Could be a bit different game this year with Madrid on the second weekend, and the need to attract overseas customers to Madrid as well, but who knows honestly. Pulling for Blur on this one.

Talking of price, there's less than half acts at Porto compared to Barca/Madrid including the ciutat shows, plus the venue is smaller so costs far less in that respect too. Porto price now at the level Barca was pre-pandemic so don't think that necessarily means we won't get any big names carrying over. They did well last year with headliners carrying over. Certainly better compared to previous years where Interpol seemed to be the biggest name one year!

10 hours ago, Ildavo said:

Talking of price, there's less than half acts at Porto compared to Barca/Madrid including the ciutat shows, plus the venue is smaller so costs far less in that respect too. Porto price now at the level Barca was pre-pandemic so don't think that necessarily means we won't get any big names carrying over. They did well last year with headliners carrying over. Certainly better compared to previous years where Interpol seemed to be the biggest name one year!

Struggling to see where the bigger names are going to come from the Barcelona/Madrid editions. Blur is very likely and Pet Shop Boys have a big enough gap in their tour schedule to play so wouldn't be surprised to see them there. Past that, can't see Calvin Harris, Kendrick Lamar playing either. Not many bands they could bump up to a Co headliner either. Christine ATQ and St.Vincent at a push?  

The thing is, Porto is no further away from Madrid than Barcelona is.  Bands wouldn't need a full day gap in between would they to play Porto before or after a Madrid show? But regardless of this Porto lost out on some big names that Barcelona had in previous years. I remember being at Porto and missing out on Barcelona's QOTSA, Arcade Fire and Black Keys in 2014/15. Not sure why they didn't have those bands across both festivals when they are only a week apart.

3 minutes ago, Ildavo said:

The thing is, Porto is no further away from Madrid than Barcelona is.  Bands wouldn't need a full day gap in between would they to play Porto before or after a Madrid show? But regardless of this Porto lost out on some big names that Barcelona had in previous years. I remember being at Porto and missing out on Barcelona's QOTSA, Arcade Fire and Black Keys in 2014/15. Not sure why they didn't have those bands across both festivals when they are only a week apart.

Because Porto is a much smaller festival and with an accordingly smaller budget to balance the books.

Does Porto have much recent history of getting its own standalone headliners? Or are we more likely to see something like St Vincent and the War on Drugs bumped up into the top spots, alongside Blur and the Pet Shop Boys? 

Do we reckon the Fred Again, Four Tet side of it transfers too? And some decent slots of Pusha T and Loyle Carner too? 

I'll be surprised to see Depeche Mode as they announced all their dates together earlier in the year, and I don't think Calvin Harris or Kendrick would be bankers either but I guess I wouldn't have had much luck predicting the Barcelona and Madrid line ups either if I'd been asked to! 

23 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Does Porto have much recent history of getting its own standalone headliners? Or are we more likely to see something like St Vincent and the War on Drugs bumped up into the top spots, alongside Blur and the Pet Shop Boys? 

Do we reckon the Fred Again, Four Tet side of it transfers too? And some decent slots of Pusha T and Loyle Carner too? 

I'll be surprised to see Depeche Mode as they announced all their dates together earlier in the year, and I don't think Calvin Harris or Kendrick would be bankers either but I guess I wouldn't have had much luck predicting the Barcelona and Madrid line ups either if I'd been asked to! 

It's generally been a mixture of 'bump up' headliners (someone like War on Drugs/PSBs are probably a good shout) and a couple of main headliners from the Barcelona lineup, but as mentioned above expensive acts like Kendrick or Depeche Mode might be a stretch too far for the size of the festival. Impossible to say who'll be on it yet.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It's generally been a mixture of 'bump up' headliners (someone like War on Drugs/PSBs are probably a good shout) and a couple of main headliners from the Barcelona lineup, but as mentioned above expensive acts like Kendrick or Depeche Mode might be a stretch too far for the size of the festival. Impossible to say who'll be on it yet.

You can rule TWOD out based on their tour dates

19 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

To go from Beck, Pavement, Tame Impala, Nick Cave, Gorillaz and Interpol to, say, the Pet Shop Boys, Blur, St Vincent, and, say, Loyle Carner, Christine and the Queens would be a bit of a decline in status IMO. I like all those acts but for the tenth edition, I'd be hoping for something special. 

Anyway, like you say, it's just speculation at the moment so we'll see soon what they've got in store.

35 minutes ago, DDave said:

You can rule TWOD out based on their tour dates

Yes, TWOD and DM are out. 

But, dor the first time, Porto is announcing a 4 day festival, what make it possible:

7 Kendrick Lamar

8 Rosalia or Calvin Harris or both

9 Pet Shop Boys

10 Blur

54 minutes ago, joselito said:

Yes, they are. But they played before, don't? 

So, Maifeld Derby just released the line up with Phoenix and Warpaint. This year they only played Barcelona.

When Lamar and Rosalia played Porto before, they were nowhere near as big (and expensive to book) as they are now. 

The Weeknd played Porto, don't think they'll be booking him this year!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

When Lamar and Rosalia played Porto before, they were nowhere near as big (and expensive to book) as they are now. 

The Weeknd played Porto, don't think they'll be booking him this year!

The only justify for an extra day, in the Wednesday, is a booking like KL. But, it's very expensive, agree, and we don't know yet what's gonna be this extra day. 

But from this year, Porto lost their main sponsor, NOS. Maybe now they have more influence in the organization from the Barcelona festival. Let's see on Tuesday...

58 minutes ago, joselito said:

The only justify for an extra day, in the Wednesday, is a booking like KL. But, it's very expensive, agree, and we don't know yet what's gonna be this extra day. 

When they announced that festival would have 4 days in 2023, they didn't know if it would in the Parque or in the city. To be honest, I am expecting more something like "La Ciutat" than a proper day in the Parque. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

When they announced that festival would have 4 days in 2023, they didn't know if it would in the Parque or in the city. To be honest, I am expecting more something like "La Ciutat" than a proper day in the Parque. 

As a local, I highly doubt anything will be held in the centre of the city. As it stands, Porto has little to no room to hold big events due to the amount of construction sites that won't be dismantled anytime soon

edit: unless, of course, they take advantage of venues such as the Coliseu and Hard Club 

Edited by young_contra

On 12/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, ConfidenceMan said:

Justice did headline there in 2017, while headlining Sonar instead of Primavera. It could happen again (especially due to the Madrid addition)

32 minutes ago, young_contra said:

As a local, I highly doubt anything will be held in the centre of the city. As it stands, Porto has little to no room to hold big events due to the amount of construction sites that won't be dismantled anytime soon

edit: unless, of course, they take advantage of venues such as the Coliseu and Hard Club 

Yeah, I know. When I said "something like La Ciutat", I was thinking of something at Hard Club (using the two rooms). Something smaller (not big bands). To be honest, I am not expecting 4 proper days at Parque da Cidade (unless the first day is something like in the past, with just teo stages).

Just got my ticket - been on the fence about waiting for the lineup, but I really can't see it not being worth £125. Along with decently priced flights and accommodation, can finally start getting excited!

Not that it's all about headliners, but of the 7 at Barcelona (inc. Pet Shop Boys), I reckon Porto might get 2? Just hoping they don't plump for Halsey and Calvin Harris... 

After 5 times at Barcelona, I'm looking forward to some grass, fewer clashes and cheaper booze (in the city at least, if not the the fest itself).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, lws said:

Just got my ticket - been on the fence about waiting for the lineup, but I really can't see it not being worth £125. Along with decently priced flights and accommodation, can finally start getting excited!

Not that it's all about headliners, but of the 7 at Barcelona (inc. Pet Shop Boys), I reckon Porto might get 2? Just hoping they don't plump for Halsey and Calvin Harris... 

After 5 times at Barcelona, I'm looking forward to some grass, fewer clashes and cheaper booze (in the city at least, if not the the fest itself).

Last four editions –

2018 Porto had 6 out of 10 top line poster acts – plus the addition of Jamie XX (Nick Cave, War on Drugs, Vince Staples, Tyler, the Creator, Lorde, Asap Rocky – missing out on Bjork, The National, Migos, Arctic Monkeys)

2019 Porto had 6 out of 10 top line poster acts (Erykah Badu, Interpol, Solange, J Balvin, Rosalia, Stereolab  missing out on Future, Tame Impala, Cardi B, Janelle Monae)

2020 (who was booked) Porto had 5 out of 9 top line poster acts (Pavement, Lana Del Ray, Beck, Tyler the Creator, Bad Bunny, missing out on Massive Attack, The National, The Strokes, Disclosure)

2022  Porto had 5 out of 9 top line poster acts (Tame Impala, Pavement, Beck, Gorillaz, Nick Cave and missing out on The National, The Strokes, Jorja Smith, Tyler the Creator)

• Upvote 2

Argh. This is my favorite festival but I am indeed on the fence on buying the tickets before the price change. I want to see Swans and Death Grips so badly, can only imagine how the rest of the undercard will be. Indeed, I could not care less about the headliners (besides kdot and Blur). I also believe I will be attending alone, that's another thing to consider.

Anyone feeling like a PS RP in motivating me to do the purchase right now? Mind you, I'm most definitely be regretting not buying it now and saving 30 euros afterwards 😖

I was hoping, as Barcelona turns more and more into Coachella, that Porto would become its smaller more alternative line up festival. With that in mind, hoping for something like this to join from Barcelona –

Arab Strap, Soul Glo, Just Mustard, Jockstrap, Shellac (obvs), Pet Shop Boys, Turnstile, Alex G, Black Country New Roads, Boris, Built to Spill, Blackhaine, Beak>, Japanese Breakfast, Swans, Yves Tumor, Delgados, My Morning Jacket, Death Grips, Ezra Furman, JPEGMafia, Pup, Cloud Nothings, Crack Cloud...

For logistical reasons I’m not expecting many acts who are playing Madrid on the middle Friday to transfer to Porto. With Madrid happening that weekend, I’m hoping for some exclusive Porto surprises, especially in line with them pushing the 10th Anniversary. Bring on tomorrow!

• Upvote 1