LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Tbf one of the best vibes I had from a weekend at Truck Festival was when they had an orchestra first thing on Saturday morning playing movie scores. So they could do a lot worse than that, or at least a gospel choir doing similar stuff.

They should put a classical act on as Pyramid Headliner one year. It's be something different and it would alter people's expectations of what to expect from the headliner announcements. And it'd pack the field, I think.

11 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Yeah I think we have all our subs and other headliners this year, I think there's only been 2 years in the past where the poster's been missing one of those - Tame Impala in 2016 and Queens of the stone age last year. There's more acts on this year's poster than there were for those years too which makes it even less likely.

As i've said before, it looks like we're missing a couple of mid to high acts on the Other stage (4th/5th down), but none on the Pyramid other than a few early in the day.

And it was quite obvious before that as QOTSA had been leaked....didn't they have dates to sell? Out of those 4 I would go for Pete Tong, a gospel choir and orchestral thing and one more noticeable act. We had Rick, Raye, Sophie and Maisie all in the opening two acts along with two similar to the aforementioned which have been a Glastonbury staple for a while so I'd be surprised if that changed.

8 hours ago, nikkic said:

Just stick Pete Tong on with his orchestra early doors and we can all have a rave up with a bacon butty. 

It wouldn't definitely be an ideal slot, like Hacienda Classical.

11 hours ago, charlierc said:

Tbf one of the best vibes I had from a weekend at Truck Festival was when they had an orchestra first thing on Saturday morning playing movie scores. So they could do a lot worse than that, or at least a gospel choir doing similar stuff.

I loved the mosh pit for it too - bonkers but  a huge fun way to start a day

9 hours ago, Ncahir94 said:

Pretty sure foals headlining the other in 2022 came with set times 

No they were on the poster, between first aid kit and fomtaines d.c.

image.png

Edited by Acid_Haze

Guy Garvey is currently on Sunday Brunch with Black Pumas. Black Pumas spoke about being excited for their first Glastonbury and they asked Guy if he was playing this year, he denied playing, but also said something like ‘I will be going, but I think just as a guest this year’, he had a bit of a grin as he said that. I might be reading too much into it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns up playing somewhere at the festival 

Edited by Mr Boo

23 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Guy Garvey is currently on Sunday Brunch with Black Pumas. Black Pumas spoke about being excited for their first Glastonbury and they asked Guy if he was playing this year, he denied playing, but also said something like ‘I will be going, but I think just as a guest this year’, he had a bit of a grin as he said that. I might be reading too much into it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns up playing somewhere at the festival 

He was on Radio 2 on Friday and from that it sounded like he wasn't but would be next year.

• Thanks 1

Has this been the most boring lead up to a Glastonbury ever? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater or anything. Nothing against the line up poster...but the way everything has been done just seems sooooo boring. It's like they're trying to kill all momentum on purpose.

I know it's only the end of March, mind, so things will pick up 

3 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Has this been the most boring lead up to a Glastonbury ever? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater or anything. Nothing against the line up poster...but the way everything has been done just seems sooooo boring. It's like they're trying to kill all momentum on purpose.

I know it's only the end of March, mind, so things will pick up 

I was thinking this. Something definitely feels off in general 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I was thinking this. Something definitely feels off in general 

I hope Mr Eavis's health is ok. I was thinking, if Emily is caring for/spending time with him, maybe the build up to the festival will be a little different. It's probably wrong for me to speculate on that, but he's an old fella now. Sometimes things have to change a bit when family situations crop up.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The lineup just came out 10 days ago.  Folk are just a bit deflated afterwards.

Yeah, but the lineup announcement was boring. Nothing has stirred much excitement in me so far .

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The lineup just came out 10 days ago.  Folk are just a bit deflated afterwards.

There’s a definite lack of buzz though (lineup reaction notwithstanding). We are now only three months away!

3 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

There’s a definite lack of buzz though (lineup reaction notwithstanding). We are now only three months away!

Maybe the festival itself is starting grow a bit stale? As much as I love it, it maybe is overdue for a radical change of some sort as anyone who has been before knows around 90% of what to expect. Around 2010 was an exciting time when all the late night areas were really pushing boundaries year on year, 2019 had some big changes e.g. the crane, iicon, Samula. Since then nothing that exciting has happened.    

7 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Maybe the festival itself is starting grow a bit stale? As much as I love it, it maybe is overdue for a radical change of some sort as anyone who has been before knows around 90% of what to expect. Around 2010 was an exciting time when all the late night areas were really pushing boundaries year on year, 2019 had some big changes e.g. the crane, iicon, Samula. Since then nothing that exciting has happened.    

I think this is a fair and interesting take. My first was 2014 and it felt like there was a buzz every year for new things going on. 2019 had loads and since the fallback on the crane, there hasn’t been a great deal of exciting innovation. 

It’s obviously still incredible. But even stages like Cabaret and Acoustic book the same acts each year. Maybe that’s why the lineup reaction was a bit muted, because it’s rare to get big surprises on smaller stages the last few years I think. 

9 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

I would say Silver Hayes last year was big! Tbe levels was a big announcement.

Lots of buzz around what will Arcadia be this year. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

?? The Levels and the whole of Silver Hayes generally. There have been a lot of changes. They might not excite you but I’m sure some have been excited by them. 
 Don’t forget that a lot of people will be going for the first time or after a long break. It’s just us regulars that have seen it all before. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

I think it might be more in the minds of those of us who have been going a long time. We've seen the capacity increase by so much as well (which must take up a lot of resources to accommodate). First timers probably still think it's amazing. 

But yeah, i agree that some aspects of the festival are growing stale.

39 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I hope Mr Eavis's health is ok. I was thinking, if Emily is caring for/spending time with him, maybe the build up to the festival will be a little different. It's probably wrong for me to speculate on that, but he's an old fella now. Sometimes things have to change a bit when family situations crop up.

I think you're overestimating how much Emily does herself - she has a full team around her. 

9 minutes ago, tarw said:

?? The Levels and the whole of Silver Hayes generally. There have been a lot of changes. They might not excite you but I’m sure some have been excited by them. 
 Don’t forget that a lot of people will be going for the first time or after a long break. It’s just us regulars that have seen it all before. 

Yeah Silver Hayes has definitely improved a lot although I wouldn't say it's anything that mindblowing. Lonely Hearts club was a really nice addition but already been around at LSTD, The levels is really cool but I looks like a bit like a budget Boomtown stage, which is fine except Glastonbury had previously been such a pioneer in stage design.
I think for me what is missing these days are the ravey theatrical shows -e.g. Arcadia 2010/landing/metamorphosis or Joe Rush shows - that really was some of the best stuff I've ever seen and I was always so excited to see what they were going to do next year. I may be wrong be it seems like that stuff has completely disappeared (I know T&Cs is full of different shows but they're pretty different!)

11 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I think this is a fair and interesting take. My first was 2014 and it felt like there was a buzz every year for new things going on. 2019 had loads and since the fallback on the crane, there hasn’t been a great deal of exciting innovation. 

The effect of covid losses and rampant inflation - many areas had their field budgets frozen.  Don't forget lots of festivals have gone out of business since 2019 - staying alive trumps innovation during these tough times.  But that said, we did get The Levels and all new Silver Hayes. 

• Upvote 2