LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, stuie said:

I refuse to believe that after 50 years they just wing it and produce their multi million pound event on the fly.

Yeah, that might have been the case twenty years ago but there's absolutely no doubt that the people, processes, infrastructure, technology, etc have all dramatically improved since then. They would have had no choice.

Just now, Neil said:

they probably don't have a folder melvin can access with the announcement schedule.

if they did perhaps the press office could send out an announcement (they never have done as far as i'm aware).

Just now, Neil said:

if they did perhaps the press office could send out an announcement (they never have done as far as i'm aware).

So you really think Michael and Emily randomly tweet from the kitchen table still? 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

So you really think Michael and Emily randomly tweet from the kitchen table still? 

To be fair, I know how one of the festivals top 5 sponsor / supplier deals was won, and the person who won it… They literally called the farm on the off chance one day, got straight through to Michael and the next week were sat in his kitchen talking to him and Emily, the deal was done there and then in that kitchen… So to be fair to Neil, I can see where he’s coming from. 

But that was over 10 years ago now. I would guess that nowadays they will have a schedule, and there will be somewhere that this schedule is written down / recorded so that people who need to know can reference it… No idea if Mel is one who ‘needs’ to know though. 

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

To be fair, I know how one of the festivals top 5 sponsor / supplier deals was won, and the person who won it… They literally called the farm on the off chance one day, got straight through to Michael and the next week were sat in his kitchen talking to him and Emily, the deal was done there and then in that kitchen… So to be fair to Neil, I can see where he’s coming from. 

But that was over 10 years ago now. I would guess that nowadays they will have a schedule, and there will be somewhere that this schedule is written down / recorded so that people who need to know can reference it… No idea if Mel is one who ‘needs’ to know though. 

He would need to know to ensure that when he claims a festival exclusive for reading Leeds and latitude that an act actually is a festival exclusive 

I'd have thought anybody who might have a chance of being contacted about it might get a heads up about it as obviously lots of surprises are left off the first poster and you wouldn't want someone giving another name that they are not meant to yet. 

I'd say it's probably more organised and professional with Emily and Nick at the helm than it was in Michael's day but probably still very much like the swan floating along with lots of ugly paddling underneath. 

6 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

He would need to know to ensure that when he claims a festival exclusive for reading Leeds and latitude that an act actually is a festival exclusive 

He won't know that by knowing the lineup of every other festival out there though, that'd be a bonkers way of approaching it.

If a FR event are claiming an exclusive, then likely it means that they've got some wording to that effect in the contract with the act.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, stuie said:

I refuse to believe that after 50 years they just wing it and produce their multi million pound event on the fly.

Yes, reckon they create the impression of a cottage industry to conform to the ethos of the festival but behind the scenes is a well organised, professional and efficient system running the event. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, reckon they create the impression of a cottage industry to conform to the ethos of the festival but behind the scenes is a well organised, professional and efficient system running the event. 

^^ this.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Some of the top experts in their field are involved in organising and running the event.

It's a colossal endeavor requiring a ridiculous amount of expertise and coordination. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

No, i know the press office don't send anything out, they would do if they had a plan. 

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

There was a year (I forget which) that the lineup was announced of an evening and Emily had tweeted a picture of her at the kitchen table with a caption along the lines of “putting the finishing touches to the lineup” prior to it coming out an hour later.

It's a nice wholesome image to project but behind the kitchen table I expect there's teams of bookers and agents and graphic designers and PR companies.  The narrative that Emily was taking control was being pushed at that point.