LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm not convinced, i mean no way will there be a petition that gets traction or some shit but I think generally people would have thought glastonbury were past 3 male headliners

thing that makes it worse is none of them are even a bump up or something

We'll never know for sure but my theory remains that they held out for Taylor and when she finally confirmed her dates it was too late to book a Beyonce, Pink, etc....

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We'll never know for sure but my theory remains that they held out for Taylor and when she finally confirmed her dates it was too late to book a Beyonce, Pink, etc....

Probably but try telling the general public that, its the same excuse but in different branding of the 'there aren't any female headliners big enough' excuse

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

In your mind, you always win Neil.

Even when you're talking bollocks.

I'm not talking bollocks I was arguing back against a stupid idea that you were arguing in support of, because you don't know how ad hoc Glastonbury does stuff. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

That seems very likely.

And tbh it's an easy out for Emily when questioned on it - "we did try, but the timing didn't work for this year and as a result we've got someone amazing lined up for next year". An answer along those lines will satisfy the majority of questions on the subject. Especially if someone becomes plural.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

That seems very likely.

And tbh it's an easy out for Emily when questioned on it - "we did try, but the timing didn't work for this year and as a result we've got someone amazing lined up for next year". An answer along those lines will satisfy the majority of questions on the subject. Especially if someone becomes plural.

Emily can't win here as she can't say "we tried for someone and didn't get her" without undermining the existing trio. Not sure how kindly Axl and the Lads would take to her publicly saying they were second choice whether it's true or not....

1 minute ago, Neil said:

I'm not talking bollocks I was arguing back against a stupid idea that you were arguing in support of, because you don't know how ad hoc Glastonbury does stuff. 

Like I said you always win, Neil.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

That seems very likely.

She needs to be careful not to offend this year's line-up, "we couldn't get who we wanted so drafted in this old bollocks".

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Emily can't win here as she can't say "we tried for someone and didn't get her" without undermining the existing trio. Not sure how kindly Axl and the Lads would take to her publicly saying they were second choice whether it's true or not....

I think people will realise that the festival (any festival) by necessity will have many irons in the fire when they're booking. The fact they tried for and didn't get (say) Taylor Swift doesn't automatically mean that anyone else was second choice - as there ultimately wasn't a choice to be made.

Though yeah she of course would say it a lot more diplomatically than I managed.

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

...ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Guns n' Roses!!!"

Thinking about it that would be a fun way to do it. A good stage announcement before a band comes on can inject an extra little jolt of excitement.

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

The report concludes that the Glastonbury festival should continue with its current successful marketing communications strategy into the future and suggests that by not having a profit-orientated strategy, the festival will maintain its uniqueness and exclusive appeal.

https://www.howardbasshead.com/glastonbury-festival-marketing-strategy/

59 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Possibly, but I think some folk still underestimate the scale. Its not just a case of sending out a release but having an active team ready for enquiries that come in as a result. Ensuring spokespeople like Emily are well briefed ahead of interviews (for example, a clear answer on why an all male set of headliners and the many other issues that come up).

Knowing what I know I would be very surprised if they had anything like that level of organisation and planning. The planning and operational side of the festival is very slick, however as had been said they don’t really need to do comms so they don’t plan it to the level that you might expect. 

Remember they are still quite a small company. 

21 minutes ago, incident said:

I think people will realise that the festival (any festival) by necessity will have many irons in the fire when they're booking. The fact they tried for and didn't get (say) Taylor Swift doesn't automatically mean that anyone else was second choice - as there ultimately wasn't a choice to be made.

Though yeah she of course would say it a lot more diplomatically than I managed.

People are never fine with this i find, will just call it an excuse.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, sedra said:

Latitude announcing tomorrow so maybe they are waiting til after that ? Usually we have something by now…..

On 2/20/2023 at 10:01 PM, Neil said:

Glastonburysannouncements are not timed by other announcements. 

so the idea of glastonbury announcing cos latitude has is ridiculous (it would require  an organisational structure within glastonbury which dosn't exist) if it was accurate we'd have that announcement by now.  as we don't, i called it right, and stuie admis he doesn't know what hes talking about.

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

so the idea of glastonbury announcing cos latitude has is ridiculous (it would require  an organisational structure within glastonbury which dosn't exist) if it was accurate we'd have that announcement by now.  as we don't, i called it right, and stuie admis he doesn't know what hes talking about.

That person you quoted said maybe it meant an announcement they didn't say it would happen

grow up

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

I think the original point was around whether Glastonbury and latitude do or don't coordinate schedules around eachother. 

You said they don't, I (jokingly) said that Melvin could probably just look at the release schedule and coordinate around that as he's on the board now. 

You then implied Glastonbury have no release schedule or any sort of significant planning on the comms side. 

I said that whilst Melvin probably can't access it there will definitely be a planned schedule of announcements. 

Followed by 2 pages of back and forth to lead us to the same point that Glastonbury definitely have a Comms plan in the run up to the festival, Melvin may or may not have access to it and it doesn't really impact on latitude announcements.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

i wasn't arguing that its marketing isn't effective, just that its not structured in the way that some people wrongly assumed.

Is it fair to say Glastonbury’s marketing is completely different from any other festival? I think I’m right in saying everyone else announces when the line up will be released, to drum up as much interest as possible, Glastonbury never does, however they’ve got the massive bonus of reputation behind them, their unconventional approach wouldn’t work if that wasn’t the case. Simply they can afford to be unstructured, seemingly random.