Secret Piano Bar

Unawarecaesar

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I guess there's a second entrance then accessible from backstage? Entrance from the Sacred Space is definitely blocked during the day / early evening.

That's the one I bailed out of. Was really just a mound of earth really. 

That was about 10 years ago though. Maybe longer. 

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

Reviving this topic, does the piano bar really change location or is it pretty much the same each year? This will be my 6th Glasto and I haven’t bothered looking for it previously but want to try and find it this year 

It's always in exactly the same spot.

28 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

Reviving this topic, does the piano bar really change location or is it pretty much the same each year? This will be my 6th Glasto and I haven’t bothered looking for it previously but want to try and find it this year 

Same spot. If you try and go on Weds or Thurs some guys will tell you they arent building it this year / were too late / dont know what you're talking about. Go back at 6am Fri/Sat when its open and there is no queue. If only for the baffling experience of trying to work out what the ef is going on. 

Its a proper sauna in there though! 

We went once and it was pretty obvious the guys at the entrance were picking and choosing who to let in against some indecipherable policy only they knew. 

I try not to do queuing at Glastonbury, and certainly not where you need to fit to get in, so we walked away and haven't been back. 

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

We went once and it was pretty obvious the guys at the entrance were picking and choosing who to let in against some indecipherable policy only they knew.

They're a strange bunch.

I deal with them a lot as they're at the top of Dragon field and occasionally give us fence issues.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

They're a strange bunch.

I deal with them a lot as they're at the top of Dragon field and occasionally give us fence issues.

image.thumb.png.d4555c0719dac9668408c5c97aec13f0.png

What do you mean? They seem like such level headed people.

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It’s easy to find. Go up to the stone circle and turn left when you’re there and it’s 100m away in the trees.

If there’s much of a queue my advice is don’t waste too much time getting in. 

I'm sure last time I went it was like two huge pipes you could go through, sit on and around hay stacks kinda thing while they above at the back. It's worth 30 minutes of your time. Usually games like getting from the top of a table around to the top again without falling.

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It's always in exactly the same spot.

That's not strictly true

It may have been static for quite a few years, but in my early days of going - every fest from 98 onwards (but no ticket for the last two) - it was in the south-east corner of what is now the fully occupied Craft Field

It's like Jeremy Paxman on University Challenge saying the rules never change, whilst in the initial series the value of bonus questions differed from round to round

On 7/1/2022 at 3:33 PM, The Nal said:

No. Its really a place for the performers to go have a party after they finish. A lot of them work in the Kids Field, Theatre etc.

I went one year but was on mushrooms so left when some lad starting loudly reciting a ghost story in my face and asking me to join in. Like some sort of improv ghost story performance. No thanks.

giphy.gif

Oh god, I always threaten to go the piano bar just because in 10+ years I've never made it, but being quite an "animated" drunk, I don't think it'll be the place for me at 3am

3 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Oh god, I always threaten to go the piano bar just because in 10+ years I've never made it, but being quite an "animated" drunk, I don't think it'll be the place for me at 3am

"Pissheads paradise"

You won't find me anywhere near it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

It’s easy to find. Go up to the stone circle and turn left when you’re there and it’s 100m away in the trees.

If there’s much of a queue my advice is don’t waste too much time getting in. 

Wish I'd followed this advice. What a massive waste of time that place is.

Spent over an hour standing in a queue last night as someone told us the Mary wallopers were playing.

After the first 60 odd people it seemed to be one in one out (until a bunch of pound shop Kardashiansngot ushered past the queue and in, pissing everyone off)

Left after that and the queue was absolutely massive so good luck to any of those waiting, they would have been there all night

2 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Wish I'd followed this advice. What a massive waste of time that place is.

Spent over an hour standing in a queue last night as someone told us the Mary wallopers were playing.

After the first 60 odd people it seemed to be one in one out (until a bunch of pound shop Kardashiansngot ushered past the queue and in, pissing everyone off)

Left after that and the queue was absolutely massive so good luck to any of those waiting, they would have been there all night

Sorry about that, and to rub salt in the wound the Mary Wallopers played the Crows Nest last night. It wasn’t busy. 

IMG_1087.jpeg

Met an Irish bloke last year who was selling 3 cans for £10 out of a bin bag by the stone circle, said he was the chef for the crew at the secret piano bar. He said just mention his name and you’ll get straight in but I can’t remember his name for the life of me! 

3 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Met an Irish bloke last year who was selling 3 cans for £10 out of a bin bag by the stone circle, said he was the chef for the crew at the secret piano bar. He said just mention his name and you’ll get straight in but I can’t remember his name for the life of me! 

Met a few folk at Mary wallopers acoustic set that claimed to be involved in the piano bar but unfortunately it didn't work out

11 glastos still no piano bar, but at least now I know I'm not arsed!

Ive known its location for a while, but every time ive been up there, there's been a queue so never bothered to go in (with the amount of people queueing to get in, they might as well add it to the map, its hardly a secret anymore), i feel its one of those places where its not worth queueing for but nice to say you've been to it

• 2 weeks later...

The piano bar is probably my favourite place of the festival, although totally agree it can be hit and miss and sort of dictated by the crowd that’s in there - but when it works it’s either complete magic or complete silliness. 
A highlight this year was Alabaster Deplume at about 5am Sunday morning, was anyone else there? Felt awful as our friend who gave up on the queue had really wanted to see him play - managed to take a sneaky video for her though.