The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

2 minutes ago, sime said:

It's not as simple as that for some people though unfortunately. I wore a cap, used factor 50 sunscreen often, drank plenty of water, ate a balanced diet regularly, took shade but still suffered from heat exhaustion and really bad eyes due to the dust and sunglare. Even with sunglasses on I sometimes struggled to see the stages.

(*Couldn't delete that crying emoji for some reason*).

I dealt with the hot weather much better in 2019. For me personally, this year was pretty tough. 

Yeh totally get that, could be that your body was fighting off another virus or something during that time which wasn't presenting any symptoms. Never know.

Sorry it was tough for you. Hope you managed some enjoyable moments x

Friday and Saturday were brutal, was too much for me. felt like I was waiting for it to get to 8pm every day. it was really over stimulating on top of everything else you're trying to take in. the lack of shade is the main issue and it's ridiculous they aren't on top of it.

was so thankful when on Sunday the clouds rolled in, I had a fantastic day from start to finish!

16 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Yeh totally get that, could be that your body was fighting off another virus or something during that time which wasn't presenting any symptoms. Never know.

Sorry it was tough for you. Hope you managed some enjoyable moments x

I wasn't suffering from anything else as I felt fit when arriving and fit now that I am back. It was just the heat. Never known anything like it. I hope I am in the minority with how I felt. I did still have a great time and enjoyed myself a lot but I also had to miss a few things to pace myself, just to be sensible. Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated 🙂

That was bloody tough. It felt harder than 2019 for me personally because of the crowds. It felt SO much busier. Don’t get me wrong I’d choose it over rain and mud but the sun was relentless at times. I’m fully Asian and never burn but even my lips are peeling🥵

The clouds and 2 drops of rain on Sunday were glorious! 

33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Looks like the farm is getting its first spell of prolonged heavy rain for a long time. I’m sure the ground will welcome it! Just glad it’s now and not a few weeks ago. 

If it stays like this for, say, 11 months then it will be very soft come next June. Good for getting the pegs in and keeping the dust down though. 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:36 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Caps aren't great sunhats. No shade for your neck and no airflow for your scalp.

I wear collared shirts every day, so that protects my neck, along with the factor 50 sunscreen. So I had no neck issues. The cap being enclosed I have assumed helps protect my scalp from UV. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time back in the weather thread since before the festival, a truly glorious year. For me, the weather was perfect apart from the brief downpour on Wednesday afternoon. 

I went to a day festival on the following Sunday, it was windy, cold and wet. Still had a good time but give me wall to wall sunshine any day of the week. 

Reading back through some of these posts makes me question my memory a bit. I fully appreciate the heat effects people in different ways but I don't think "too hot" came close to being in my head this year. I've had to check back through my photos to see what I was doing on the Saturday. Park > Other > Avalon > Other > Greenpeace > Other > Pyramid, so not a lot of shade. 

I guess I'm just lucky, and sorry for those that struggle but purely selfishly, more of this please!

As the poster child for it being "too hot".. I thought the weather this year was too hot, but it was much more manageable than 2010 & 2019. By a long way.

Wednesday this year was alright til the afternoon. The queue wasnt brutal like it was in 2022 (and 2017 for that matter).

There was a breeze this year which helped me massively.

Plus Friday wasnt that sunny, which was good. There was restbite.

I was Sunburnt like f**k on the Wednesday. By Thursday I was being asked if "I was alright", but I was ok really. Better than usual. I coped with the heat much better than some of my mates did.

Saturday was pretty brutal, but after Rick Astley I got myself out of the sun until the Manics.

A few tips I discovered... Avoid spending a long time the Pyramid & the Park stages. The sun is in your face there all through. It is difficult. The sun is behind you at the Other stage, and behind your right at the WH. The Glade is probably the best place to be. It Saved me on the Saturday. I might have had issues if I didnt just stay and watch half of Youth b2b Gaudi, then African Head Charge & Dreadzone... but Id got a cooler spot & I stayed there. On my own for an hour or so before a mate joined me.

Of the "hot" festivals Ive been to, 2010, 2019 & 2023.. that one was easiest & my favourite of the 3.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

As the poster child for it being "too hot".. I thought the weather this year was too hot, but it was much more manageable than 2010 & 2019. By a long way.

Wednesday this year was alright til the afternoon. The queue wasnt brutal like it was in 2022 (and 2017 for that matter).

I was Sunburnt like f**k on the Wednesday. By Thursday I was being asked if "I was alright", but I was ok really. Better than usual. I coped with the heat much better than some of my mates did.

Saturday was pretty brutal, but after Rick Astley I got myself out of the sun until the Manics.

A few tips I discovered... Avoid spending a long time the Pyramid & the Park stages. The sun is in your face there all through. It is difficult. The sun is behind you at the Other stage, and behind your right at the WH. The Glade is probably the best place to be. It Saved me on the Saturday. I might have had issues if I didnt just stay and watch half of Youth b2b Gaudi, then African Head Charge & Dreadzone... but Id got a cooler spot & I stayed there. On my own for an hour or so before a mate joined me.

Of the "hot" festivals Ive been to, 2010, 2019 & 2023.. that one was easiest & my favourite of the 3.

I’m actually always ok in the sun and even that Saturday watching acts on the other and then Capaldi killed me.  I had to take a hour or 2 away, drink lots of water and find some shade to eat something.  Forgot how brutal it can be.

The Sunday was when I first felt like the sun was a bit too much surprisingly, had to go back to my tent for a nap mid day. 

I haven't had a wet Glastonbury since 16, the way weather is shifting and seasons starting in different times seems like we will be getting dry ones for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Glad you were okay. You were genuinely on my mind during the festival. I think a few hot ones on the bounce has meant those of us who don’t love it too hot have started to learn coping techniques. I find being really flexible about what I see apart from a couple of key must sees makes me much happier. I had a hat I could soak in cool water as well which kept me from over heating. 

I’m equally glad though that we didn’t have weather like this weekend. 

• Upvote 1