The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

My forecast has some rain in the early hours of tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.

If these numbers are correct, I can't see it having an affect other than to damp down any dust and pollen.

The numbers are mm per 3 hours.

Light northerly winds may hold the rain against worthy view.

Screenshot_20230619-082549.thumb.png.aa0db6179f7fa10cfc8e5d48d07378d0.png

2 minutes ago, 2019 said:

My forecast has some rain in the early hours of tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.

If these numbers are correct, I can't see it having an affect other than to damp down any dust and pollen.

The numbers are mm per 3 hours.

Light northerly winds may hold the rain against worthy view.

Screenshot_20230619-082549.thumb.png.aa0db6179f7fa10cfc8e5d48d07378d0.png

What app are you using? 

25 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

An inch would cause an issue? Come off it now Steve, the games up. 

It would barely be noticeable I'd imagine (a few hours after the event). We had downpours most of yesterday afternoon here and there's little sign of anything this morning.

Edited by Thunderstruck

21 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Dreading it is pretty strong, but my enthusiasm is pretty much gone for the weekend.

I am gunna sign off from here now as reading this over and over is not going to make things better. I am determined to enjoy myself & replying to every comment isnt going to help.

Thanks to @Sheffield Steve @Alvoram & @briddj for their updates. Even though I havent seemed as appreciative as others have!

I hope everyone has a top week.

Look after yourself, and each other

See you in the desert!

God speed, sweet sweet boy 

• Upvote 1

All models are in agreement that an inch or a little more will fall between now and gates opening. But there's no certainty that it will hit the site, none at all...

Accumulated Rainfalls between now and Wed's 00:00

GFS

image.png.f17a96eb098bdb351addd2c2c9518a48.png

ECM

image.png.5c4aeb4afaf3f3d5f2f14aebb31b0a0b.png

GEM

image.png.782871332e21011bede18cdd32520e5b.png

UKMO

image.png.50f74c9f193e1f7b273bc50c17978c8b.png

ICON

image.png.077385a5b22c0d2599f57c5af541f7aa.png

The forcefield will do it's work today and push it away... And even if it doesn't, have you seen those bloody cracks on site? An inch isn't going to do much, especially as, like others have pointed out, there's now drying time on Tuesday too. 

10 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I thought it rained at least a little last time?

2017: 45 mins of drizzle Sat am (possibly some overnight)

2019: Dry

2022: Hour of light rain Friday teatime

All of these count as dry for my money. If you can wear trainers and sit down 100% of the time = dry. 

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

All of these count as dry for my money. 

Yeh, but if we're talking about proper dry we should be strict with the definition haha. I'm guessing completely dry is pretty rare (looks like 2019 was though?)

44 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The midnight run of the U.K. Met Office model is predicting an inch of rain to fall on the site tomorrow.   The Canadian GEM is predicting the same.   If this were to come off, it would definitely cause some issues.  The hard ground at the moment would cause the water to collect in low lying spots causing local flooding.  The German ICON also has the heavy rain but predicts more than an inch just to the east of the site.     As this is thundery rain, there’s no way to predict with accuracy where the heaviest rain will fall, but the possibility is there.  Fingers crossed.

UKMO:

IMG_4136.thumb.jpeg.660a30c4ca54bb0194f3b1a14ddfa6d9.jpeg

GEM:

IMG_4137.thumb.jpeg.a3406ed91bbd097621f86185b999ed0d.jpeg

ICON:

IMG_4138.thumb.jpeg.0533f9f59408063997d19c45c4a5a425.jpeg

Steve calling that IT IS OVER!!!

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

All of these count as dry for my money. If you can wear trainers and sit down 100% of the time = dry. 

2017 I was at Arcadia after Radiohead on the Friday night and it rained for about an hour or so I think.

I would be surprised if the heavy rain overnight caused too many issues. We've had 20mm of rain here in North Wales over the last 24 hours (and another 20mm or so over the week before) and the ground is still absolutely rock solid. 

Some roads flooded because drains were blocked, but the farm land is all good.

12 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

All models are in agreement that an inch or a little more will fall between now and gates opening. But there's no certainty that it will hit the site, none at all...

The forcefield will do it's work today and push it away... And even if it doesn't, have you seen those bloody cracks on site? An inch isn't going to do much, especially as, like others have pointed out, there's now drying time on Tuesday too. 

If it was an inch, worst case, we'll probably be saved by the fact that gates aren't open to large numbers to churn anything up.

An inch probably means localized small areas of flooding / large puddles in market areas etc. Probably changed to areas of sticky mud by Weds, flattened springy mud by Thurs. All field areas (stages etc) fine. 

Recall start of 2004 being like this. Awful Weds (but far fewer people came then), puddles / no go areas under hot sun Thursday, Friday = as if it never happened. Obviously then rained overnight into Sat lunchtime and ruined the site but that's not on the cards here. 

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

If it was an inch, worst case, we'll probably be saved by the fact that gates aren't open to large numbers to churn anything up.

An inch probably means localized small areas of flooding / large puddles in market areas etc. Probably changed to areas of sticky mud by Weds, flattened springy mud by Thurs. All field areas (stages etc) fine. 

Recall start of 2004 being like this. Awful Weds (but far fewer people came then), puddles / no go areas under hot sun Thursday, Friday = as if it never happened. Obviously then rained overnight into Sat lunchtime and ruined the site but that's not on the cards here. 

My first one!

it also lashed it down Sunday early evening!

managed to pitch up Weds early evening in Top Webbs Ash - no chance of doing that these days! 😄 

5 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I think it may have overnight? Not sure, no wellies or walking boots required though since 2016

It rained a bit Saturday morning last year, at least up worthy view. It was heavy enough that it prompted my Mrs to fetch her boots from the car. Never actually needed them and it had stopped by the time she got back to the tent but went on for a good hour and heavy enough to cause concern at the time. I think it was similar on Friday morning too, I remember walking down to the site with my hood up, but that might have been Thursday.