The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, T-Mouse said:

I mean this rollercoaster stuff really is all a bit silly. The forecasts broadly have been saying the same thing all week. Monday-Friday risk of showers but decent temps with chance it all missed us. Weekend could see possible return to stability but too far to have any real certainty. 

Be sensible. Bring walking boots and maybe have wellies in the car. Also being your suncream and trainers. Anything could happen. But always remember the forcefield. It's real 

Spot on.

Seems to me this thread is a load of people flapping with graphs and 'runs' when they have no real clue about what they're talking about!

And yes, there's been no 'rollercoaster' either!

2 minutes ago, Radicles said:

Got a 6 hour drive ahead of me this afternoon down to Somerset. Already made the call not to bother with any waterproof trousers, fingers crossed for some good news by the time I’m down there 🤞🏻

CWf_LCNU4AE967c.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Radicles said:

Got a 6 hour drive ahead of me this afternoon down to Somerset. Already made the call not to bother with any waterproof trousers, fingers crossed for some good news by the time I’m down there 🤞🏻

Everything said above about jeans also applies about waterproof trousers. Just wear shorts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catavento said:

All looks pretty much in line with what the Norwegians are saying!

Worth remembering that 2.5mm of rain isn't necessarily a constant light drizzle all Thursday afternoon. It might land on our heads all at once (UKMO have been talking about a showery and unsettled setup all month so no surprise if it did!)

NORWEGIANS.JPG

The Norwegians know .... 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Everything said above about jeans also applies about waterproof trousers. Just wear shorts.

I don’t agree shorts fine mostly but it’s it’s absolutely horrible heavy hard rain waterproof trousers are grey as you stay dry. Yes a pain to dry them but if it’s only for a while it’s fine. Festival number 6 in 2018 I was very glad of those trousers on the Friday morning and that great storm in 14 that shut down the stages  

1 minute ago, RandomBunny said:

This ☝️

Just make sure your waterproof coat covers your bum and you're sorted. Even if the bottoms of the shorts get wet they dry quick (as long as not denim!)

They stop water getting in your wellies which shorts don’t. Anyway looking at these forecasts I’m not packing mine and will only be taking shorts 

Just now, Barneym said:

They stop water getting in your wellies which shorts don’t. Anyway looking at these forecasts I’m not packing mine and will only be taking shorts 

That is a valid point! Although I wear walking boots so don't have that issue.

Have a safe journey! 

18 minutes ago, Barneym said:

True, but it has to be pretty heavy rain to be significant.

I got caught in the downpour that shutdown Standon Calling in 2021.  My hiking boots overflowed!

To adopt the extreme sun-lovers' mantra of personal responsibility; 

"What the hell kind of competent person let's their jeans get so wet in the first place?"

Lol. Nah, only yankin' your chains, lads! I've done over 25 festivals in the UK and abroad. Jeans have always been a part of my wardrobe. Never been wet enough to need to dry them out or get uncomfortable. It's a music festival, it's not trekking in the Lake District 😅

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Just now, The Nal said:

I still remember the "Ah it'll dry up" posts from back then.

Great times.

Yep. Even I (the eternal optimist) was beginning to question the thought processes of some of the rose tinted spectacle brigade that year! We were seeing horrific videos like the one above, and the memorable one of the water seeping out of the ground (I couldn’t find that one) with mere days to go and on here it was all, as you say, “if the sun comes out that’ll dry up in no time”.

Have to say you were consistent (and correct) in 2016..... but 2023 is going to be fine. The ground is bone dry with days to go.