The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Jeans? If it’s dry then you’ll be too warm for jeans. If it’s wet your jeans will never dry. 

Only choices are long shorts or short shorts. 

If it's good enough for Kit, then it's good enough for me. The man has literally fought White Walkers for crying out loud. 

image.png.6c43add285b5e3225299de598115346f.png

11 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What in the hell is the FINGER?!

Seriously?!? The finger is a long standing friend of the festival. Learn to love it. There are only two constants in my belief system regards all these forecasts....

The Azores Finger & The Pilton Forcefield.

A finger of the Azores High often nudges towards Britain in the summer, typically bringing hot, sunny weather. It was the Azores High that brought the long, hot summer of 1976,

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Seriously?!? The finger is a long standing friend of the festival. Learn to love it. There are only two constants in my belief system regards all these forecasts....

The Azores Finger & The Pilton Forcefield.

A finger of the Azores High often nudges towards Britain in the summer, typically bringing hot, sunny weather. It was the Azores High that brought the long, hot summer of 1976,

I will not learn to love an Azorean finger. Esp, if it means I'm seeking shade between 10am-8pm.

How hot does this finger make Glasto get anyway usually?

I've never really given much thought to the weather thread, this is my first year I've paid any attention. As long as it's not crazy hot (28+ each day), or flooding, I don't really care. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Have you got a streamliner motorhome on site with multiple daily wardrobe changes and stylists on standby to pick you up dry clothes on demand?

No, but as a fully functioning human adult, I don't need all those things. I've worn jeans to every festival I've ever been to and survived perfectly fine.

Shorts obv too when temps get ridiculous, but 18-24, jeans are fine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I will not learn to love an Azorean finger. Esp, if it means I'm seeking shade between 10am-8pm.

How hot does this finger make Glasto get anyway usually?

I've never really given much thought to the weather thread, this is my first year I've paid any attention. As long as it's not crazy hot (28+ each day), or flooding, I don't really care. 

Whilst I understand your (and others) concerns around temperatures, a good ridge of high pressure is the only way to ensure and rain is diverted away from the site. In June, in the south of England, high pressure almost always equates to high temperatures. To my mind (I’m no meteorologist)  a cool festival free from rain, whilst desirable, is very unlikely. All the festivals I’ve been to have either been cool with rain, or dry and hot. I’m fortunate enough to not suffer too badly with the heat, a wet bandana and plenty of fluids work wonders... but I recognise others suffer greatly with this (my own daughter being one). I hate the rain. I get enough of it up here, and it just makes everything slightly, well, damp. All that said, the festival is, and will be, fantastic irrespective of whatever the weather has in store for us.

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

No, but as a fully functioning human adult, I don't need all those things. I've worn jeans to every festival I've ever been to and survived perfectly fine.

Shorts obv too when temps get ridiculous, but 18-24, jeans are fine.

I agree. I've worn  jeans in hot weather at Glastonbury. Never had a problem. That being said, I prefer combat trousers and combat shorts nowadays but for me, jeans are fine too.

I hereby join the “whatever” club. It’s not going to be a washout and it’s not going to be a scorcher. Anywhere in between, I’m comfortable with. Walking boots for the duration, sunscreen in the day bag, poncho in the tent. Bring it the f**k on. 

All this talk about wanting to know the weather before packing baffles me. If it's wet I'll put a pack a mack on, maybe a poncho. Both will be coming with me regardless of the forecast.

If it's cold I'll put my hoody on earlier in the day than usual